The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

What's your opinion on the University of Glasgow?

I want to study History and my main option is Edinburgh, but I've read some reviews that say Glasgow's lectures and teaching are much better
Any opinions and info are welcome :smile:
Student there myself, but in science. Both are really good, but Edinburgh does edge above Glasgow in terms of rankings and prestige. It's not surprising when you look at Edi's more celebrated alumni list (think Conan Doyle, Darwin) and it's endowment which is almost twice as large as Glasgow's, only surpassed by Oxbridge in the UK! However what you make of the degree is the most important aspect, so someone with a first from Glasgow will more likely be favoured than someone with a 2:1 from Edinburgh.

I'd recommend you visit both universities yourself the and spend at least one night in both cities. Glasgow, whilst being bigger, somehow feels more calm as the university is away from the centre, and in general less of it's sights are packed into one area like Edinburgh. A point to note is Edinburgh's campus is more de-centralised. Less departments are in the same place, as in Glasgow where most are in the one campus.

Edinburgh, being the capital and a massively popular tourist destination is more expensive, not by too much, but a good 2-3 person flat will certainly be £100-200 PCM more expensive. Overall, they're two roughly equal universities with Edinburgh just edging out in some categories due to it's status as a prestigious capital city. Either way, you won't feel a great loss at choosing one of the other.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by YuriG1961
Student there myself, but in science. Both are really good, but Edinburgh does edge above Glasgow in terms of rankings and prestige. It's not surprising when you look at Edi's more celebrated alumni list (think Conan Doyle, Darwin) and it's endowment which is almost twice as large as Glasgow's, only surpassed by Oxbridge in the UK! However what you make of the degree is the most important aspect, so someone with a first from Glasgow will more likely be favoured than someone with a 2:1 from Edinburgh.

I'd recommend you visit both universities yourself the and spend at least one night in both cities. Glasgow, whilst being bigger, somehow feels more calm as the university is away from the centre, and in general less of it's sights are packed into one area like Edinburgh. A point to note is Edinburgh's campus is more de-centralised. Less departments are in the same place, as in Glasgow where most are in the one campus.

Edinburgh, being the capital and a massively popular tourist destination is more expensive, not by too much, but a good 2-3 person flat will certainly be £100-200 PCM more expensive. Overall, they're two roughly equal universities with Edinburgh just edging out in some categories due to it's status as a prestigious capital city. Either way, you won't feel a great loss at choosing one of the other.

Thank you! Unfortunately I can't visit the unis because I live in Spain, therefore I have to make a decision just with internet info :s-smilie:
Hi there,

I don't have much experience of Edinburgh but I studied at Glasgow for four years and had an amazing time. I didn't study History but I did do English and loved my course.

Campus wise, I loved how everything was self-contained and the West End area where the campus is, is lively, beautiful and has a really nice atmosphere with lots of cute cafes, restaurants and areas. I liked how it was never long to walk to any lecture/tutorial or from the library and the community feel that resonates from everything being in one area. Most of the university buildings are historic and beautiful, not to mention the very famous main building area which everyone says looks like Hogwarts - they are correct!

The two student unions add a really nice diversity to the social side of the university and the Student Representative Council is also really active. This means there are lots of things to get involved in if you want to but also plenty of events just to attend such as club nights. Being a big university there's lots of societies and sports teams to join too if you have a particular interest.

Glasgow as a city is friendly, diverse and easy to get to know but never feels boring. There's always new things happening, new places to go and a sense of change and regeneration which I love. All the areas of the city feel quite distinct, like a small version of London, so you can live here for years (as I have) but have areas of the city you still have to explore.

I think the thing about Glaswegians mostly being very friendly is totally true and I was really struck by how quickly I felt at home in the city and how I made friends. I especially liked how I was able to make friends with people who lived in Glasgow as well as those from other areas of the UK and countries as I had the best of both worlds when it came to my social group and this helped me settle in well too.

I am obviously hugely biased but having visited Edinburgh hundreds of times I do know that city well too. Personally, I don't think they are that comparable as cities. Glasgow is a city and Edinburgh always feels much more like a town to me which I don't enjoy as much. This is definitely personal preference though. Anecdotally, i know a few people who have studied at both universities and preferred Glasgow but of course, this can be based on multiple factors.

As the above poster says, I don't think you will lose out massively by attending one over the other and it should come down to which is best for your course and which suggests a vibe that you feel is more suited to you.

I hope this helps and if you have any more questions, just drop me a line!

Lilith

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending