The Student Room Group

GCSE options

I have recently joined a new secondary school 5 days ago and they have given me my gcse options. I have never studied these options before and I am extremely tensed. The worst thing is that they have given me only 3 days to decide which is absolutely RIDICULOUS. My options are business, design technology,food technology, dance, drama and media studies; never studied any of them before. Please help me which one shall I choose, only have today and tomorrow to decide. I want to study biology in the future and become a microbiogist.
THANK YOU VERYY VERRY MUCH
REALLY APPRECIATE IT xxxx
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Read up on the different courses and see which one you would enjoy the most. There are usually alot of subjects that you can do at GCSE that you have never studied before for example I did GCSE childcare
Just go with which one you think you will be able to enjoy and find interest in for 2 years
Reply 2
Original post by Bob the fish 101
Read up on the different courses and see which one you would enjoy the most. There are usually alot of subjects that you can do at GCSE that you have never studied before for example I did GCSE childcare
Just go with which one you think you will be able to enjoy and find interest in for 2 years

Thank you for your advise,will read up on the different courses
Pick the ones you enjoy and can get the best grades in.Are you a creative person or do you prefer more academic options?
Reply 4
Original post by FutureMissMRCS
Pick the ones you enjoy and can get the best grades in.Are you a creative person or do you prefer more academic options?

I actually prefer more academic options
Original post by flower2018
I actually prefer more academic options

Then pick the more academic ones.I personally would avoid art-did it and it was the worst decision I made.Did you pick a language to do and/or triple science as an option?
Reply 6
Why are these your only option? Do you think dance is valuable in life? Do you think you’d enjoy it? If you prefer more academic could you not go for geography or history or even a language?
I have recently joined a new secondary school 5 days ago and they have given me my gcse options. I have never studied these options before and I am extremely tensed. The worst thing is that they have given me only 3 days to decide which is absolutely RIDICULOUS. My options are business, design technology,food technology, dance, drama and media studies; never studied any of them before. Please help me which one shall I choose, only have today and tomorrow to decide. I want to study biology in the future and become a microbiogist.
THANK YOU VERYY VERRY MUCH
REALLY APPRECIATE IT xxxx

Not drama. I do food and it is good but a lot of work
Reply 8
Original post by Davina3
Why are these your only option? Do you think dance is valuable in life? Do you think you’d enjoy it? If you prefer more academic could you not go for geography or history or even a language?

hi, thank you for your feedback,
I EXTREMELY WANTED TO CHOOSEE GEOGRAPHY, I cried so much and i was absolutely stressed out but this stupid new school said that all the spaces for computer science, history ,geography,art,pe and spanish are gone and this stupid school also thinks that pupils who are not doing computer science can never do triple science even though puplis are very intellectual in science. my mum said that she is going to do a meeting on monday to ask if i really could do triple science andd geography and if they dont listen then she is going to complain to the council. it clearly isnt my fault that i moved school and they cant give me all the subjects, they havent even decided which pupil is going to take
what.

I AM VERRY SERIOUSLY STRESSED
Reply 9
Then pick the more academic ones.I personally would avoid art-did it and it was the worst decision I made.Did you pick a language to do and/or triple science as an option?

Thank you so much for your feedback,
I EXTREMELY WANTED TO CHOOSEE GEOGRAPHY, I cried so much and i was absolutely stressed out but this stupid new school said that all the spaces for computer science, history ,geography,art,pe and spanish are gone and this stupid school also thinks that pupils who are not doing computer science can never do triple science even though puplis are very intellectual in science. my mum said that she is going to do a meeting on monday to ask if i really could do triple science andd geography and if they dont listen then she is going to complain to the council. it clearly isnt my fault that i moved school and they cant give me all the subjects, they havent even decided which pupil is going to take
what yet.

Reply 10
Your GCSE are with you for the rest of your life, so yes your mum is right she should take this further as it isn’t fair for them to say the classes are too full... if that’s so cancel another class and open another... if they don’t have funding for another teacher then try help raise some to contribute, it’s very important that you get the right GCSE.... I did GCSE drama at school and only time I have ever needed it is to paint a fake smile on my face... other then that it was pointless... however it’s much hard to choose when your 14/15 and under a lot of pressure... but yes your mum is very right to do so!

Try not let it stress you.
Reply 11
Original post by Davina3
Your GCSE are with you for the rest of your life, so yes your mum is right she should take this further as it isn’t fair for them to say the classes are too full... if that’s so cancel another class and open another... if they don’t have funding for another teacher then try help raise some to contribute, it’s very important that you get the right GCSE.... I did GCSE drama at school and only time I have ever needed it is to paint a fake smile on my face... other then that it was pointless... however it’s much hard to choose when your 14/15 and under a lot of pressure... but yes your mum is very right to do so!

Try not let it stress you.

i really thank you from my bottom of my heart for giving me good advise...at least someone understands me ;0
Reply 12
Anytime, you should always fight for what you want and think is right, don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t achieve what you want to... where there’s a will there’s a way.
(edited 5 years ago)
Thank you so much for your feedback,
what yet.

Oh no,that's horrible! :frown: I hope the meeting will go well!They shouldn't be doing this!I know plenty of people who did triple science and not computer science and they did really good!I really hope you will get the options you want to do :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Davina3
Anytime, you should always fight for what you want and think is right, don’t like anyone tell you that you can’t achieve what you want to... where there’s a will there’s a way.

THANK YOU!!
I just wanted to ask when you do study dance as GCSE, what do you do in an actual GCSE, do you just dance or do you do written work aswell?
Reply 15
Oh no,that's horrible! :frown: I hope the meeting will go well!They shouldn't be doing this!I know plenty of people who did triple science and not computer science and they did really good!I really hope you will get the options you want to do :smile:

i really hope too!
thank you for your support
really appreciate it :smile:
If you have a good memory then I suggest that you do business cuz at GCSE level a big portion of it is memorization.
Reply 17
I’m not too sure as I did GCSE drama and there was a bit of written work in that just like analysing plays, was mainly practical, no one really took it seriously we used to just have a laugh and we could be our selfs and no one would judge so if you couldn’t sing but liked to you could do it there... for me it was mainly to boost my confidence up which it did massively... when I went to college I had to do a few presentations and I don’t think I could have done it if I hadn’t have done GCSE drama it helps me out a lot.
Reply 18
Original post by waleed99
If you have a good memory then I suggest that you do business cuz at GCSE level a big portion of it is memorization.

thank you for your feedback!
will consider that in account:smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Katieb1232002
Not drama. I do food and it is good but a lot of work

what do you do in food, is it hard work

Quick Reply

Latest