The Student Room Group

A-level

So im currently trying to choose my A-Level options and i have decided to do Biology + Chemistry. For my 3rd option im debating between philosophy + ethics or maths. i cant decide between them cause maths would be more complimentary with my other subjects but im only expected to get a 6 or 7 at gcse While philosophy would be abit different but i enjoy it and im expected to get a 9 at gcse. btw i aiming to do a science degree at uni , havent decided which one yet.would it be better doing all 4? can someone help. Please.
Original post by cbutler100
So im currently trying to choose my A-Level options and i have decided to do Biology + Chemistry. For my 3rd option im debating between philosophy + ethics or maths. i cant decide between them cause maths would be more complimentary with my other subjects but im only expected to get a 6 or 7 at gcse While philosophy would be abit different but i enjoy it and im expected to get a 9 at gcse. btw i aiming to do a science degree at uni , havent decided which one yet.would it be better doing all 4? can someone help. Please.

Higher grades get you into better unis.
Maths creates more options.

You are already doing 2x science subjects, so the only need for maths is if the course you are interested in includes Maths i.e it creates more options. If you dont need those options, then take philosophy especially if you need grades.

Have a look at these.

Which course?
https://my.sacu-student.com/sacustudent/f?p=SACU_BROWSE0

https://university.which.co.uk/a-level-explorer

Which A levels?

http://russellgroup.ac.uk/for-students/school-and-college-in-the-uk/subject-choices-at-school-and-college/

https://university.which.co.uk/advice/a-level-choices/six-things-you-need-to-know-before-making-your-a-level-choices
(edited 5 years ago)
What do you want to do at university?
Reply 3
Original post by FutureMissMRCS
What do you want to do at university?

chemistry or biomedical sciences , tbh im not sure yet they are just ideas
chemistry or biomedical sciences , tbh im not sure yet they are just ideas

If you want to do chemistry it would be a good idea to do maths,it would be very useful.I would recommend you do maths then :smile:
Reply 5
If you want to do chemistry it would be a good idea to do maths,it would be very useful.I would recommend you do maths then :smile:

do you reckon i can still do good in a level maths with only a 6 at gcse
Okay I really don't wanna put you down here but A-level chemistry is a nightmare.
People who got As/A*s at GCSE are only getting Cs/Bs now. And there is a lot of maths (I believe 30%).
Reply 7
Original post by Zxr_
Okay I really don't wanna put you down here but A-level chemistry is a nightmare.
People who got As/A*s at GCSE are only getting Cs/Bs now. And there is a lot of maths (I believe 30%).

yeah, but i enjoy chemitry and im willing to study hard at it
Original post by Zxr_

Chemistry is actually my favourite a-level.Maths is a bit of a nightmare for me.OP different people find different things hard so don't worry.

But you didn't get your GCSE results back yet,so for all you know you could have got a better grade.If you work hard at maths I bet you can do it :biggrin:
But you didn't get your GCSE results back yet,so for all you know you could have got a better grade.If you work hard at maths I bet you can do it :biggrin:

thx, i got a lot of academic pressure at the minute from mainly my parents so this has put my mind at ease
thx, i got a lot of academic pressure at the minute from mainly my parents so this has put my mind at ease

Don't stress!You have a long summer ahead of you-enjoy it!A-levels are hard work so enjoy the free time whilst you got it!Just wait till results day and see how things go!If you pick the wrong options you could always change them later.As long as you tried your best is all that matters!And if it didn't go as well,you can still smash your a-levels!Good luck :smile:
Reply 12
Go with your gut on which one you think will be more beneficial to you in the future or if the subjects you’re already going to do are beneficial, then go with the one you’ll enjoy doing the most

I got an equivalent of a 7 at gcse. Did badly at AS getting below a C grade then at A2 learnt how to improve by not being as lazy amd got an A in maths. Hard and efficient work is the main factor for high grades.
I don’t know what ur schools policy is but take both and then drop the one u start doing badly in x if not then I’d say maths

Quick Reply

Latest