GCSE options- buisness and media studies

Watch
flower2018
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Business or media studies
-Are these subjects easy
-do you recommend taking at least one of them
-what do you when studying them
- which subject is fun and has less course work
- do you use a lot of maths in business

PLEASE TRY TO HELP ME AS I JOINED A NEW SCHOOL AND THEY ONLY HAVE 2 SUBJECT SPACES LEFT AND THE MOST RIDICULOUS THING IS THAT THEY GAVE ME 3 DAYS TO DECIDE; ONLY GOT TODAY AND TOMMOROW TO DECIDE NOW
By the way I want to study biology in the future and become a Microbiologist
Gaxia_zoom
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by flower2018)
-Are these subjects easy

PLEASE TRY TO HELP ME AS I JOINED A NEW SCHOOL AND THEY ONLY HAVE 2 SUBJECT SPACES LEFT AND THE MOST RIDICULOUS THING IS THAT THEY GAVE ME 3 DAYS TO DECIDE; ONLY GOT TODAY AND TOMMOROW TO DECIDE NOW
i took the old business spec but a lot of the topics are quite similar.
i thought it was quite interesting to learn about, like ethics in business, and laws regarding trade.
the only part i found boring was calculating profit or cash flow - the maths!
But since you guys are doing the 9-1course you are likely to have no coursework at all, a good thing cos it took me a long time to complete!
good luck👍!
flower2018
Rep:
(Original post by Gaxia_zoom)
i took the old business spec but a lot of the topics are quite similar.
i thought it was quite interesting to learn about, like ethics in business, and laws regarding trade.
the only part i found boring was calculating profit or cash flow - the maths!
But since you guys are doing the 9-1course you are likely to have no coursework at all, a good thing cos it took me a long time to complete!
good luck👍!

thank you for your feedback!!!!
Just wanted to ask what kind of maths do u do cos im not that good at it
Gaxia_zoom
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
thank you for your feedback!!!!
Just wanted to ask what kind of maths do u do cos im not that good at it
the maths is not too hard, our teacher gave us simple formulars to use e.g, revenue= price per item x quantity. So as long as we knew them we were fine.
But what i hated was that the information was mixed with the case study, so it was almost like a maths word problem.
I would say to look on your possible spec for example questions to do with calclations tho
flower2018
Rep:
(Original post by gaxia_zoom)
the maths is not too hard, our teacher gave us simple formulars to use e.g, revenue= price per item x quantity. So as long as we knew them we were fine.
But what i hated was that the information was mixed with the case study, so it was almost like a maths word problem.
I would say to look on your possible spec for example questions to do with calclations tho
thank you sooooo much :h
Gaxia_zoom
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
thank you sooooo much :h
no problem😊!
ashestostardust
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Hiya! I did GCSE Media Studies (on the old spec) and I'd say it's definitely worth it. I honestly found it really interesting especially since the mediums you study surround you in your everyday life. I gained some really valuable communication and leadership skills from the filming project we had to do too so I guess that's an added bonus. From what I know from my brother who's doing the course on the new spec, the filming is something that's still there. The constant in-depth analysis of media on the course was a really great practise for both English language and literature so it may be beneficial for you in that respect.

Hope this helps and good luck with your choices!
katie091000
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Business or media studies
-Are these subjects easy

I did both of these subjects for GCSE.
1) I wouldn’t class these as ‘easy’ subjects but if a subject is easy, I doubt you would enjoy it was much. I would say that to do business you need to be creative but also able to learn a lot of terminology, but I would only class it as difficult if you weren’t able to do these things. However, business I would say is significantly more difficult than media, but not the point where it’s unmanageable- I actually really enjoyed it.

2) I would recommend taking both! Both of the subjects show adaptability and colleges especially like the look of business studies.

3) As for what you do, that depends on your exam board. For business it was 25% coursework based and I had to contact a local business, get customers to fill in questionnaires and analyse the effectiveness of the business. You study different types of data, different types of business and how they function, a very small amount of stocks and shares and different terminology used and what makes a successful business.
You learn about small businesses, why they fail and franchises. For media, it’s 50% coursework based, (for me at least) and for the coursework I had to design my own magazine, (which I thought would be a breeze but was actually quite challenging.) You learn about taking pictures and types of media and how they work. You do a module on game shows, magazines and adverts. I got an A in both of these subjects.

4) Media is more, ‘fun’ but the coursework is more, however both only have one bit of coursework each. I think business would be more applicable and useful depending on what you want to do career wise.

5) I was horrific at maths, and it really isn’t that much maths. There are a few equations but as long as you don’t panic trying to learnt them then you should be fine. You need equations for profit margin (etc)
I hope this helped! If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
flower2018
Rep:
(Original post by ashestostardust)
Hiya! I did GCSE Media Studies (on the old spec) and I'd say it's definitely worth it. I honestly found it really interesting especially since the mediums you study surround you in your everyday life. I gained some really valuable communication and leadership skills from the filming project we had to do too so I guess that's an added bonus. From what I know from my brother who's doing the course on the new spec, the filming is something that's still there. The constant in-depth analysis of media on the course was a really great practise for both English language and literature so it may be beneficial for you in that respect.
Hope this helps and good luck with your choices!
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR FEEDBACK!!!
I was told that you have to make your own medis so for example making a magazine or film.did you ever do that and if you did how are you supposed to do it and is it easy and fun?
ashestostardust
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR FEEDBACK!!!
I was told that you have to make your own medis so for example making a magazine or film.did you ever do that and if you did how are you supposed to do it and is it easy and fun?
We made a magazine front cover and a music video. I wouldn’t say it’s easy to do but it’s pretty straight forward and the end product is worth it if you put the effort in.
We used editing software and camcorders provided by the school to do so. For the front cover we took our own photos and for the video we filmed our own footage. All of this was obviously done with planning prior (which gets marked). Media even in general was really fun and with the coursework especially I enjoyed the creative freedom we had.
username3539714
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I took both and prefer Business because it can be applied to everyday life and who doesn’t like making money?
BeckyBates
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I think media studies is more interesting
george0909
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
i did media studies & i found it extremely fun!! its very interesting as you study things that you can apply to your daily life such as theories of why people comsume media, etc. the coursework lets you express your creativity and i thought it was really fun to do to be honest!! any more questions you have i’ll be happy to try and answer
flower2018
Rep:
(Original post by george0909)
i did media studies & i found it extremely fun!! its very interesting as you study things that you can apply to your daily life such as theories of why people comsume media, etc. the coursework lets you express your creativity and i thought it was really fun to do to be honest!! any more questions you have i’ll be happy to try and answer
Thank you so much for your feedback
i just wanted to ask when you produce your own media in this subject, do you have to deal whith more computer sciencey stuff or how do you produce it?
flower2018
Rep:
We made a magazine front cover and a music video. I wouldn’t say it’s easy to do but it’s pretty straight forward and the end product is worth it if you put the effort in.
We used editing software and camcorders provided by the school to do so. For the front cover we took our own photos and for the video we filmed our own footage. All of this was obviously done with planning prior (which gets marked). Media even in general was really fun and with the coursework especially I enjoyed the creative freedom we had.

when you produce your own media in this subject, do you have to deal with more computer sciencey stuff or how?
flower2018
Rep:
(Original post by katie091000)
I did both of these subjects for GCSE.
1) I wouldn’t class these as ‘easy’ subjects but if a subject is easy, I doubt you would enjoy it was much. I would say that to do business you need to be creative but also able to learn a lot of terminology, but I would only class it as difficult if you weren’t able to do these things. However, business I would say is significantly more difficult than media, but not the point where it’s unmanageable- I actually really enjoyed it.

2) I would recommend taking both! Both of the subjects show adaptability and colleges especially like the look of business studies.

3) As for what you do, that depends on your exam board. For business it was 25% coursework based and I had to contact a local business, get customers to fill in questionnaires and analyse the effectiveness of the business. You study different types of data, different types of business and how they function, a very small amount of stocks and shares and different terminology used and what makes a successful business.
You learn about small businesses, why they fail and franchises. For media, it’s 50% coursework based, (for me at least) and for the coursework I had to design my own magazine, (which I thought would be a breeze but was actually quite challenging.) You learn about taking pictures and types of media and how they work. You do a module on game shows, magazines and adverts. I got an A in both of these subjects.

4) Media is more, ‘fun’ but the coursework is more, however both only have one bit of coursework each. I think business would be more applicable and useful depending on what you want to do career wise.

5) I was horrific at maths, and it really isn’t that much maths. There are a few equations but as long as you don’t panic trying to learnt them then you should be fine. You need equations for profit margin (etc)
I hope this helped! If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Thank you so much for your time and effort for helping me out!!! your advise really helped me
THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN!!!
flower2018
Rep:
Do you have to research and/or evaluate media. if yes, what did you have to research and evaluate about?
THANKS SO MUCH XXXX
ashestostardust
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
when you produce your own media in this subject, do you have to deal with more computer sciencey stuff or how?
No not computer science at all. It’s literally just a more complicated Microsoft Publisher for the front cover. We also used iMovie for the editing.It’s nothing complicated or to do with coding.
ashestostardust
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Do you have to research and/or evaluate media. if yes, what did you have to research and evaluate about?
THANKS SO MUCH XXXX
Yes. We do A LOT of it especially before big projects like the front cover. I evaluated + analysed the opening sequence of Brave, an edition of TIME magazine and 3 music videos.
flower2018
Rep:
Yes. We do A LOT of it especially before big projects like the front cover. I evaluated + analysed the opening sequence of Brave, an edition of TIME magazine and 3 music videos.

If you don’t mind me asking, what grade did you come out with media studies.
If you don’t want to answer it, just ignore the message then
Thanks for so much support!!!!!!🤗
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.92%
Okay (109)
29.22%
A bit lacking (138)
37%
Not good at all (89)
23.86%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise