The Student Room Group

Any Christians out there? Help!

Basically I've been brought up in a Catholic household (my dad's a highly observant Catholic whereas my mum isn't very religious) and the question of confirmation has been brought up a few times in the past but my dad seems adamant that I get confirmed as soon as I can. However there's a minor problem; I'm agnostic (I don't believe in God necessarily, but I don't think he doesn't exist altogether). I personally feel that it's wrong to get confirmed if I don't believe in God which is why I don't want to go through with it. My mum knows that I don't believe in God but my dad doesn't and I'd like to keep it that way so there's no drama, but my dad's been increasingly pressurising that I get confirmed even though I don't want to. What do I do?

Scroll to see replies

Hmmm that is a very tricky one. At the end of the day though, almost every Catholic teen (or older!) who gets confirmed is doing it because their parents want them to/feel they should. Not because they want to. So whilst it might feel wrong to you, it's what most RC people are doing (I say this as a former confirmation catechist - person who prepares youth for confirmation) :tongue:

My parents forced my sister to do it and she was definitely atheist by that point and she made sure everyone knew it :tongue: She spent all our confirmation classes poking fun out of everything. The catechist was annoyed but couldn't really do anything about it :ninja:

So if I were you and if it won't distress you, I'd just get confirmed to keep your dad quiet :ninja:
If you're an agnostic that I don't believe you should be confirmed my friend. I'll pray that you find God but I don't think in any way that you should be confirmed. Being honest with your father now will be better if he finds out in the future especially if you get confirmed. If your father truly believes what he reads and proclaims then he'll still love you with all his heart (though it could hurt him in the short term).

I know that I'm a Christian and saved by Lord Jesus but I still turned down being confirmed and baptised at the same time (I was never baptised as a child :biggrin:) by the bishop because I believed that I still wasn't spiritually ready to be confirmed in front of my brothers and sisters in faith. Provided my church is a Evangelical one but nevertheless I decided not to.

Our situations are slightly different as well since your family has a religious background where my family does not but I still feel that you shouldn't confirmed. At the end of the day, it's your choice though and you should talk it through with your parents to make a final decision.
Reply 3
Original post by natty_b
Basically I've been brought up in a Catholic household ...What do I do?

A Christian is someone who has received the Holy Spirit because “Christ” or “Messiah” means “anointed one” and the anointing is the Holy Spirit (Acts 10v38). Romans 8v9 states:-
. . . you are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.”

In the new testament it is known precisely when people receive the Holy Spirit. At Pentecost, the Holy Spirit began to be given as never before, making people sons of God (see John 7v39, 14v17, 20, 16v7).

The apostles reported:-
. . . they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance . . . having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he has shed forth this, which you now SEE and HEAR . . . For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to ALL that are afar off, even AS MANY AS the Lord our God shall call.” (Acts 2v4, 33, 39)

This gives an abundant new Life revealing God's nature .. what solves man' problems. You obviously havn't seen this in your dad's religion - that's why you don't believe!

You simply need to decide what you want to find.

The truth of God, of chase your own natural desires.
This seems insensitive but there is no place in the Bible where you need to get confirmed. If you wish to believe; believe. If you don't want to it's fine! God gave us all free will. You'll also need to speak to your parents and maintain your point. I, being a Christian since day one, do not belong to any organisation or denomination inparticular or have not been confirmed alike but I will say that I have been baptised (submerged). I personally think confirmation is unnecessary for a Christian walk but I'll leave the decision up to you! :h:
Reply 5
Original post by ecojerri
This seems insensitive but there is no place in the Bible where you need to get confirmed. If you wish to believe; believe. If you don't want to it's fine! God gave us all free will. You'll also need to speak to your parents and maintain your point. I, being a Christian since day one, do not belong to any organisation or denomination inparticular or have not been confirmed alike but I will say that I have been baptised (submerged). I personally think confirmation is unnecessary for a Christian walk but I'll leave the decision up to you! :h:

In the bible, God confirmed His word!

Jesus to the disciples:
"Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believes and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believes not shall be damned. And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; . . . And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen. " (Mark 16:15-20)
Original post by NJA
In the bible, God confirmed His word!

Jesus to the disciples:
"Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believes and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believes not shall be damned. And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; . . . And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen. " (Mark 16:15-20)
I think I have perhaps been misunderstood. It says Word not people.
Reply 7
Original post by natty_b
Basically I've been brought up in a Catholic household (my dad's a highly observant Catholic whereas my mum isn't very religious) and the question of confirmation has been brought up a few times in the past but my dad seems adamant that I get confirmed as soon as I can. However there's a minor problem; I'm agnostic (I don't believe in God necessarily, but I don't think he doesn't exist altogether). I personally feel that it's wrong to get confirmed if I don't believe in God which is why I don't want to go through with it. My mum knows that I don't believe in God but my dad doesn't and I'd like to keep it that way so there's no drama, but my dad's been increasingly pressurising that I get confirmed even though I don't want to. What do I do?

You only really have two options. You can do this confirmation in order to to prevent any further arguments with your dad, or you can confront you dad and tell him that you don't believe in god.
Reply 8
I think I have perhaps been misunderstood. It says Word not people.
The signs are displayed in the people who believe.

It's people God is after.

I saw "the word made flesh" in my peers at Uni, that made me really believe, (not just intellectually).
Original post by NJA
The signs are displayed in the people who believe.

It's people God is after.

I saw "the word made flesh" in my peers at Uni, that made me really believe, (not just intellectually).
The thing with the Bible is that you shouldn't read between the lines
Reply 10

If you read the lines I quoted you will see that they apply to people!
you could choose a really odd Confirmation Name to annoy your Dad ?

i) St. Ercongotha

ii) St. Ethelburga ( always reminds me of a takeaway :teehee: )

iii) St. Eustochium ( always reminds me of a tube :teehee: )

etc
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Hmmm that is a very tricky one. At the end of the day though, almost every Catholic teen (or older!) who gets confirmed is doing it because their parents want them to/feel they should. Not because they want to. So whilst it might feel wrong to you, it's what most RC people are doing (I say this as a former confirmation catechist - person who prepares youth for confirmation) :tongue:

My parents forced my sister to do it and she was definitely atheist by that point and she made sure everyone knew it :tongue: She spent all our confirmation classes poking fun out of everything. The catechist was annoyed but couldn't really do anything about it :ninja:

So if I were you and if it won't distress you, I'd just get confirmed to keep your dad quiet :ninja:

Lmao, if you're a catholic or christian I hope you realise what you've said is a sin.
I'm not sure how as a former catechist you can say "almost every Catholic teen (or older!) who gets confirmed is doing it... Not because they want to"
Definitely blasphemy or hipocrasy or something like that and I have to call you out on that. Just your general words in that whole post really, actually.

Original post by ShantelleLuis

Actually no you do need to read between the lines for most of the bible. Idk about for the Old Testament tho.
Jesus was speaking in parables pretty much always so if you literally take on face value what he says without "reading between the lines" you will not get the message he came to share.

To OP, you can lie and go through confirmation but know even if you don't believe in a higher being you will get bad karma for lying... or you can tell the truth to your dad which might make him annoyed/angry/frustrated/sad. He's entitled to that temporarily but if he is a good christian or catholic he should be able to forgive you and accept it is your decision.
Reply 13
Original post by natty_b

Could you say you're still making your mind up about it and don't feel ready yet?

As a christian, I'd not been confirmed or baptized. I decided when I was older to be water baptized, fully immersed :biggrin:.
Original post by pereira325
Lmao, if you're a catholic or christian I hope you realise what you've said is a sin.
I'm not sure how as a former catechist you can say "almost every Catholic teen (or older!) who gets confirmed is doing it... Not because they want to"
Definitely blasphemy or hipocrasy or something like that and I have to call you out on that. Just your general words in that whole post really, actually.

Actually no you do need to read between the lines for most of the bible. Idk about for the Old Testament tho.
Jesus was speaking in parables pretty much always so if you literally take on face value what he says without "reading between the lines" you will not get the message he came to share.

To OP, you can lie and go through confirmation but know even if you don't believe in a higher being you will get bad karma for lying... or you can tell the truth to your dad which might make him annoyed/angry/frustrated/sad. He's entitled to that temporarily but if he is a good christian or catholic he should be able to forgive you and accept it is your decision.
I could not disagree more, YOU MUST NOT READ BETWEEN THE LINES, yes parables have meanings which are revealed to those who wish to learn, but you do not use general understanding to interpret a scripture
Original post by natty_b

so you do not want to get confirmed? - I think a way to postpone this event would definitely say that you are not ready to be confirmed and that you would want to wait so that you can commit to god completely if you do not mind lying/bending the truth.
However, you could sit down with your dad and ask if it is necessary to be confirmed NOW. like, can it not wait till your more mature and older. My sister got confirmed and didn't because i didn't feel ready and in my experience, my mum was completely understanding. hope it goes well xx
Original post by ShantelleLuis
I could not disagree more, YOU MUST NOT READ BETWEEN THE LINES, yes parables have meanings which are revealed to those who wish to learn, but you do not use general understanding to interpret a scripture

Context matters I suppose. At this stage neither you or me are a higher religious person so it's just going to be your opinion v my opinion, and for now I disagree. The bible is 2000+ years old and if we don't read between the lines it will reduce it's usefulness. For instance when they mention casting lots in the temple or stuff like that clearly that doesn't happen anymore... but it's relevance is very real for modern gambling.
Original post by natty_b

Hope you don't mind a non-religious opinion - please ignore me if you like - but my main thought is that this isn't necessarily religious question.

It does seem wrong for a young woman to feel pressured into a deception like this. It's hardly going to increase your affection for the Church! More importantly, at what later point would it become OK to say, "Oh by the way Dad, I didn't want to be confirmed. I just did it so you wouldn't be upset. And yes, Mum knew but didn't want to tell you the truth either". Wouldn't any father feel much more hurt at that revelation? Or would you and your Mum plan to keep it a secret forever?

It seems to me that your Mum could be really helpful here and have a quiet word with your Dad. You/she need only explain that you don't feel ready to make this step yet, and that forcing it right now would be wrong.

I don't know your age but if your Dad thinks you are old enough to make your own decision, then he should be content to leave it there. If he thinks you are too young to do so, then he should realise that you shouldn't be put in this position in the first place!

Hope it works out for you anyway.
Original post by pereira325

You can call me out on it all you like :smile: Are you Roman Catholic yourself? :jebus:
Original post by the bear
you could choose a really odd Confirmation Name to annoy your Dad ?

i) St. Ercongotha

ii) St. Ethelburga ( always reminds me of a takeaway :teehee: )

iii) St. Eustochium ( always reminds me of a tube :teehee: )

etc

You forgot St Sexburga. Losing your touch, bear :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending