Boyfriend and Instagram? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I wanted to ask the opinion of both guys and girls on this subject because I can kind of see both sides to the argument and wondered what others think:

If a girl posts a photo of herself in a bikini for example on Instagram, do you think her boyfriend has the right to be angry? My bf has said that it wouldn't make him angry if I was on a beach etc, but part of him would wonder why I felt the need to post it - like is it for male attention etc. As far as I'm concerned, if I feel confident and like the photo, I will upload it, but not for any other reason than that. For example, I'd never reply to DMs etc or anything that were to come of it, IF they did.

Do you think there is an element of mutual respect to not post too revealing pics on social media (in the case of both genders, may I add) or do you think everybody should be free to do what they want, regardless of what their partner thinks??

Just interested to hear opinions
Jack22031994
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I wanted to ask the opinion of both guys and girls on this subject because I can kind of see both sides to the argument and wondered what others think:

If a girl posts a photo of herself in a bikini for example on Instagram, do you think her boyfriend has the right to be angry? My bf has said that it wouldn't make him angry if I was on a beach etc, but part of him would wonder why I felt the need to post it - like is it for male attention etc. As far as I'm concerned, if I feel confident and like the photo, I will upload it, but not for any other reason than that. For example, I'd never reply to DMs etc or anything that were to come of it, IF they did.

Do you think there is an element of mutual respect to not post too revealing pics on social media (in the case of both genders, may I add) or do you think everybody should be free to do what they want, regardless of what their partner thinks??

Its your IG - post what you want.
bobby147
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Rofl,post what you want. Why do my generation worry about such trivial things.You can post whatever you want,if your bf objects,I would take that as sign of a controlling nature,and bail the relationship(if I was a girl of course).
anonymous69gcse
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
u only live once. y not show of ur body when ur young and sexy. ur not going to post a pic of urself when ur 50 when ur t*ts go saggy r u. so just enjoy the moment
Acsel
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
As a guy, I can appreciate that sometimes girls post things specifically for male attention and sometimes they don't. I think your intention and the trust in your relationship is the most important thing. If you want to post those photos and your boyfriend trusts and accepts that you will get unwanted male attention as a result then I don't see the problem. I can also totally understand how some guys would be bothered by you posting those photos, in the same way some girls are bothered if their boyfriend likes photos of other girls on Instagram.

At the end of the day it is your social media and you are free to do what you want with it. Equally though, if you are in a relationship with someone, it is important to consider how your actions will impact them. "Revealing pics" means different things to different people. If you are comfortable with your body and are happy posting a photo of yourself in a bikini then there's no issue, it's not massively different to a guy posting a muscular workout pic after the gym. It's just important to be aware that a photo of anyone in less than average clothing is going to illicit some response from the opposite sex. But if you have an open and healthy relationship, there's not going to be a problem.

I'd like to think I wouldn't tell someone I was in a relationship with not to post pictures of themselves if that's what they wanted to do so that really wouldn't give me the right to judge total strangers for doing it. The whole "element of mutual respect" thing is going to differ from couple to couple and it's really up to them what they do, not us.

The caveat here is that I try to keep a minimal digital footprint for security and privacy reasons. I'd be more likely to urge my girlfriend to do the same, in the interest of privacy and security rather than being bothered about posting a photo in their bikini. If I were in a relationship, my girlfriend would be constantly bombarded with "have you changed your Instagram password lately" rather than "that photo is too revealing".
-Eirlys-
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago

People see you in a bikini when you're out, so posting you during a day out in your bikini, to remember a good day you've had, is not much different. If a guy gets angry, it's probably because he's insecure or thinks the girl is his property. If you start dating a girl who has previously posted a picture of themselves in limited clothing or a bikini, you can't really complain when they do it again. If they don't like that, then there's plenty of girls who don't post that kind of image.
Luke5125
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago

If a girl wants to post a selfie of herself in a bikini that that's her choice, nothing to do with her boyfriend. Your body, your choice, your instagram page
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (129)
17.97%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
10.17%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (123)
17.13%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (104)
14.48%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.75%
How can I be the best version of myself? (219)
30.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed