The Student Room Group

Does everyone drink at Uni

Ok, long story short. I have an issue dealing with people who get drunk, party and generally involve themselves with nightlife. I'm worried I won't be able to make any friends at uni :frown:. I don't mind putting up with a few distant peers who have the odd drink to mark an occasion (e.g. like at a wedding) but I honestly have real trouble conversing with people who consume it on a regular basis and/or ever get drunk. I am also allergic to cigarette smoke so I feel like finding friends I can be around will be hard. Any helpful advice anyone could give me? Please don't say just deal with it because it's not helpful.
no they don't

you can find friends who don't drink in socieites you're interested in

me personally i couldn't give a rats ass if some losers judge me cos i don't drink
Reply 2
"I honestly have real trouble conversing with people who consume it on a regular basis and/or ever get drunk."

Honestly, you're really going to struggle with life. Forget university, what about when you get a job afterwards? All your coworkers will drink and will frequently talk about going to the pub after work, or having wine with dinner, or what crazy things they did while drunk at uni (or last weekend).

Maybe consider moving to an Islamic country like Saudi Arabia, where alcohol is outlawed? That's not a joke, it's a serious suggestion, because I don't think you're going to be able to handle life in the UK.

And before you accuse me of being biased, I don't drink. My father was an alcoholic and was violent towards me, my mother and my siblings while drunk, so believe me, I hate alcohol probably even more than you do. I just understand that it's part of life in the UK and you can't avoid it. My boyfriend drinks, and I deal with it. I just ask him not to drink red wine around me, because that was my dad's drink.

I deal with it. You can too, or you can just move to a country where you won't have to.
No, they don't. I know several people who don't drink at all. Uni's also have societies, and so you are likely to find and meet people who are interested in similar things to you.

But I will admit that there was a "drinking culture" at unis that there isn't so much of outside of uni, and if you're adamant about avoiding parties, you are likely to have issues in halls. To deal with this fact, some unis do have "quiet halls" or "alcohol-free halls" you can apply for.
The best advice for anyone who is going to Uni, is to just be open.
Original post by ayyy2
no they don't

you can find friends who don't drink in socieites you're interested in

me personally i couldn't give a rats ass if some losers judge me cos i don't drink

What if a winner judges you for not drinking?
Original post by Notoriety
What if a winner judges you for not drinking?

Haven't come across such a person yet so can't comment
Reply 7
Personally, I'd say don't worry about it. There are plenty of individuals who don't smoke or drink at the University. They are not that rare either. Few different places where you might find people who don't necessarily drink are in the library, and clubs/hobbies at the University. e.g. Finding a common sport or other things you enjoy as well can be a good starter for where to find friends at the University. I hope this helps and may you have quite a few wonderful years ahead of you.

If people judge you, they are narrow-minded. Besides, you just want to take care of your liver and not poisoning it.

Original post by Foxi14
Ok, long story short. I have an issue dealing with people who get drunk, party and generally involve themselves with nightlife. I'm worried I won't be able to make any friends at uni :frown:. I don't mind putting up with a few distant peers who have the odd drink to mark an occasion (e.g. like at a wedding) but I honestly have real trouble conversing with people who consume it on a regular basis and/or ever get drunk. I am also allergic to cigarette smoke so I feel like finding friends I can be around will be hard. Any helpful advice anyone could give me? Please don't say just deal with it because it's not helpful.
To be frank, most people get drunk a lot in the first year when the demands of the course aren't too great.

But will knuckle down in the second year, and then basically live in the library in the final year.

People who can't adjust from first year hard living to becoming more studious are the ones who end up failing or getting a crap degree.

If you are in halls then expect quite a lot of partying to be honest.

Could probably get moved to a different flat if you find yourself stuck with complete animals. (A German guy in our flat moved out within two weeks because he couldn't handle us).

But just be yourself, and don't drink if you don't want to. You'll find people becoming more like you as their time at uni progresses!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by RissaN
"I honestly have real trouble conversing with people who consume it on a regular basis and/or ever get drunk."

Honestly, you're really going to struggle with life. Forget university, what about when you get a job afterwards? All your coworkers will drink and will frequently talk about going to the pub after work, or having wine with dinner, or what crazy things they did while drunk at uni (or last weekend).

Maybe consider moving to an Islamic country like Saudi Arabia, where alcohol is outlawed? That's not a joke, it's a serious suggestion, because I don't think you're going to be able to handle life in the UK.

And before you accuse me of being biased, I don't drink. My father was an alcoholic and was violent towards me, my mother and my siblings while drunk, so believe me, I hate alcohol probably even more than you do.

Firstly, I do not intend to have a job later in life where I interact with any co-workers etc. and I'm not moving anywhere. My life after uni really isn't the issue, just uni. I thank you for your input, however, I would ask that you do not try to compare your "degree" of hatred of alcohol to mine.
Reply 10
Original post by BritishJew
To be frank, most people get drunk a lot in the first year when the demands of the course aren't too great.

But just be yourself, and don't drink if you don't want to. You'll find people becoming more like you as their time at uni progresses!

Thank you for your honesty! Your advice has been very helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest