The Student Room Group

Getting them Koalifications in the Summer!

Hey everyone!

Whilst my title is partially true, as I will be revising for next year's GCSEs to get some goods grades (I hope!!), this Summer, I want to be productive and whilst work some days, have a good time. Hence, my bucket list!

My Summer holiday before going into Year 11 is from:
July 6 - September 6

That's two months, and boy am I going to cram a lot into that time!

Green - Completed
Yellow - In progress

Study Goals
1. Read 4 books
2. Learn new English vocabulary
3. Spend 20 minutes each day on my French vocabulary
4. Make flashcards for each Science unit done so far
5. Start logging quotations for 'Animal Farm' and 'Jekyll and Hyde', my English literature texts studied so far.
6. Do one (maybe two) Maths past papers.
7. Make notes and flashcards for History.
8. Make flashcards on Economics - especially Macro!

General Goals
1. Run or do a HIIT session every day to improve fitness, except Sundays
2. Try to eat healthier - i.e. five a day, less junk food
3. Get involved in a sport - probably swimming or tennis
4. Drink more water each day.
5. Learn to stop stressing or worrying over little things (would love help here!)
6. Meet up with my friends a few times and have fun with them
7. Learn how to cook a few basic meals
8. Walk or play with my dog every day and spend time with her
9. Have a more positive mindset in general
10. Help the poor or homeless, whether that be donating to charity here and there or buying food for some people on the street who need this.

I hope this goes well. I'm not doing this so much for the challenge to win £150, but actually just to better myself both physically and mentally this Summer.

Feel free to help me on this journey and give me moral support! I may need the motivation, especially for the running :colondollar:
Original post by Koalifications
Hey everyone!

Whilst my title is partially true, as I will be revising for next year's GCSEs to get some goods grades (I hope!!), this Summer, I want to be productive and whilst work some days, have a good time. Hence, my bucket list!

My Summer holiday before going into Year 11 is from:
July 6 - September 6

That's two months, and boy am I going to cram a lot into that time!

Green - Completed
Yellow - In progress

Study Goals
1. Read 4 books
2. Learn new English vocabulary
3. Spend 20 minutes each day on my French vocabulary
4. Make flashcards for each Science unit done so far
5. Start logging quotations for 'Animal Farm' and 'Jekyll and Hyde', my English literature texts studied so far.
6. Do one (maybe two) Maths past papers.
7. Make notes and flashcards for History.
8. Make flashcards on Economics - especially Macro!

General Goals
1. Run or do a HIIT session every day to improve fitness, except Sundays
2. Try to eat healthier - i.e. five a day, less junk food
3. Get involved in a sport - probably swimming or tennis
4. Drink more water each day.
5. Learn to stop stressing or worrying over little things (would love help here!)
6. Meet up with my friends a few times and have fun with them
7. Learn how to cook a few basic meals
8. Walk or play with my dog every day and spend time with her
9. Have a more positive mindset in general
10. Help the poor or homeless, whether that be donating to charity here and there or buying food for some people on the street who need this.

I hope this goes well. I'm not doing this so much for the challenge to win £150, but actually just to better myself both physically and mentally this Summer.

Feel free to help me on this journey and give me moral support! I may need the motivation, especially for the running :colondollar:

What kind of meals do you like? I can try to send some recipes your way :smile:

Happy to try and help with motivation too, let me know if you need a prod about any of the tasks :tongue:
Love your username :gah:

:koala:
Great thread title! Good luck on your Journey, wish I had been as productive as you during my year 10/11 summer holiday 😅
Original post by shadowdweller
What kind of meals do you like? I can try to send some recipes your way :smile:

Happy to try and help with motivation too, let me know if you need a prod about any of the tasks :tongue:

Hi, I'm not too fussy with food, although if you have any quick/easy meals that are easy to make and relatively healthy, I'd love them! Thanks for the support :smile:

Original post by CoolCavy
Love your username :gah:

:koala:

Thanks!! :tongue:

Original post by Mesopotamian.
Great thread title! Good luck on your Journey, wish I had been as productive as you during my year 10/11 summer holiday 😅

Thanks for the support! And about the productivity - we should probably wait and see if I really am as productive as I said I would be! :colondollar:
Saturday, July 7

So today was the first Saturday of my Summer holiday! Hurray! :biggrin:

Since this week was my birthday week (I turned 15 on Monday :colondollar:), I ate quite a lot of food. I ate some cake - classic - went out with my mates for some pizza and a crepe - classic - and maybe ate a bit too much. Not a great start to this fitness holiday but from today I'm starting. I did a HIIT session today using a 15-minute video. For those who want to know what I do, I will put it in the spoiler tag below so you could use the video and also the warmup/cooldown I do.

Spoiler

I am also working on eating more healthily to go with this exercise. If you have any tips, such as what to eat/what not to eat and any healthy recipes, please let me know.

Thanks for reading this and your support, it is really motivating me!
Monday, July 9

Hi everyone!

So, my progress on this list hasn't been... perfect. I'll start with the positives because you've got to look on the bright side I guess :colondollar:

The weather, as I am sure you all know, has been BOILING. Or at least, that's how it feels. So I've been drinking a lot of water. That's a bonus. Furthermore, I have started my first book of the Summer - the currently popular 'Ready Player One' by Ernest Cline - and am already at 'Level Two'. I'm really enjoying it - would definitely recommend. I am learning some new vocab that I may need for my English GCSEs - so far, words like asinine, pseudo-, and avuncular.

I was planning to do some revision today but... ya know, Summer and that... so hopefully I'll do a bit of English tomorrow. In my Saturday exercise, the crunches left my stomach feeling cramp, so I didn't exercise on Sunday, although I did today :run:. I'm also eating quite healthily to try and complement that exercise.

Let's hope this week is going to be productive...(!)
Monday, July 9

Hi everyone!

So, my progress on this list hasn't been... perfect. I'll start with the positives because you've got to look on the bright side I guess :colondollar:

The weather, as I am sure you all know, has been BOILING. Or at least, that's how it feels. So I've been drinking a lot of water. That's a bonus. Furthermore, I have started my first book of the Summer - the currently popular 'Ready Player One' by Ernest Cline - and am already at 'Level Two'. I'm really enjoying it - would definitely recommend. I am learning some new vocab that I may need for my English GCSEs - so far, words like asinine, pseudo-, and avuncular.

I was planning to do some revision today but... ya know, Summer and that... so hopefully I'll do a bit of English tomorrow. In my Saturday exercise, the crunches left my stomach feeling cramp, so I didn't exercise on Sunday, although I did today :run:. I'm also eating quite healthily to try and complement that exercise.

Let's hope this week is going to be productive...(!)

Have you seen the film of Ready Player One, and if so, is the book better? I bought it a few months ago, but never got around to reading it :tongue:
Thursday, July 12

Hi everyone! Sorry for not updating this for the last few days. :sorry:

So I started work on Tuesday. My English teacher told us we needed to log quotations for other set English Lit GCSE texts - for me: Jekyll and Hyde, Animal Farm and Macbeth. We were asked to log Jekyll and Hyde and Animal Farm quotations in terms of themes, character and setting, and Macbeth quotations in terms of themes, character and tension.

I must admit that on Tuesday and Wednesday, I wasted a lot of time. I made six, yes, six pages of quotations for Mr Utterson (Jekyll and Hyde narrator) alone :work:. I then read online that we only needed four quotations for each character. Ugh... :angry:

I have made some flashcards with about six or seven quotations for Utterson and Jekyll now I know that. If anyone has any advice on how to log quotations and which to pick, please feel free to let me know!

I have also been eating healthy and exercising continually - I exercised today and jeez, it was tiring. I did a Body Coach TV HIIT workout from Youtube for 20 minutes, and then fell asleep for an hour after! :sleep:

I learnt how to make porridge today. I have had it for breakfast for about a month continually (I love it if you couldn't tell :yeah:) but didn't know how to make it until today. I tend to have strawberries with it since they are delish.

I'm going to be doing History revision tomorrow. I made some flashcards of the 1920s boom in America as well as on problems with farming using Quizlet. I'll carry them on tomorrow.

Before I sign off, I just wanted to say that if you have any recipes for meals which are quick and easy to do, please let me know!

If you're following this, thanks a bunch!

Koala :koala:
Have you seen the film of Ready Player One, and if so, is the book better? I bought it a few months ago, but never got around to reading it :tongue:

I haven't, but if I do see the film, I'll let you know! Would still recommend it though! :biggrin:
I haven't, but if I do see the film, I'll let you know! Would still recommend it though! :biggrin:

Awesome, I’ll give it a try them, thanks :biggrin:
How's this going? :rave:
Original post by CoolCavy
How's this going? :rave:

Hi, thanks for reminding me about this, completely forgot!

It's going... I mean, it's going in some way!

I'll do a quick update on what I've done for everyone so far, which I should have updated before now:

- I've finished reading Ready Player One - a fantastic book and would definitely recommend!
- I read Fahrenheit 451 - great book although can be hard to understand if you don't know some of the context, very metaphorical.
- Started reading Lord of the Flies - wanted to read this book for ages and hadn't done, so I'm halfway through this.

I've been exercising every few days - roughly about every other day - and that seems to be going well, I feel like I am improving in fitness. To help with this, I've been trying to eat healthier, and (excluding a quick Domino's last night :colondollar:) that seems to be going well too.

I've been revising every few days, mainly science so far. I'm finding the English logging quotations reaaaaally difficult - so boring! :s-smilie:

I have been using apps and websites recommended by the school for my French vocabulary, such as Memrise, which is really handy. I'm also making sure to note down any English words I don't understand which I come across and learning them.
Hi, thanks for reminding me about this, completely forgot!

It's going... I mean, it's going in some way!

I'll do a quick update on what I've done for everyone so far, which I should have updated before now:

- I've finished reading Ready Player One - a fantastic book and would definitely recommend!
- I read Fahrenheit 451 - great book although can be hard to understand if you don't know some of the context, very metaphorical.
- Started reading Lord of the Flies - wanted to read this book for ages and hadn't done, so I'm halfway through this.

I've been exercising every few days - roughly about every other day - and that seems to be going well, I feel like I am improving in fitness. To help with this, I've been trying to eat healthier, and (excluding a quick Domino's last night :colondollar:) that seems to be going well too.

I've been revising every few days, mainly science so far. I'm finding the English logging quotations reaaaaally difficult - so boring! :s-smilie:

I have been using apps and websites recommended by the school for my French vocabulary, such as Memrise, which is really handy. I'm also making sure to note down any English words I don't understand which I come across and learning them.

Exercising every other day is definitely a goood stride forwards for improving health, well done! :biggrin:
Exercising every other day is definitely a goood stride forwards for improving health, well done! :biggrin:

Thank you, I am trying to do this but it is kinda proving a struggle!

Quick Reply

Latest