The Student Room Group

Can i do A level further maths without doing A level maths

I have just sat A level maths from the old spec this year and want to do A level further maths, but the spec has changed... Can i do it on its own or do i need to have completed A level maths from the new spec before edexcel let you sit the Further maths modules? Or do you only need the knowledge from previous modules and don't actually have to sit them?
if you have a grade in A-Level math yeah u can
Original post by yungdrizyG
I have just sat A level maths from the old spec this year and want to do A level further maths, but the spec has changed... Can i do it on its own or do i need to have completed A level maths from the new spec before edexcel let you sit the Further maths modules? Or do you only need the knowledge from previous modules and don't actually have to sit them?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but you can do Further maths as long as you have Maths A-Level regardless of the spec

There's very little difference between old and new spec in terms of content. The main change is just the fact that there are no more modules: the new spec is fully linear. But if you've done old spec A-Level Maths, you certainly have all the required prior knowledge to start new spec A-Level Further Maths.

Yes you can, you may miss certain topics that don't appear in FM but are now in Maths such as the Newton-Raphson Method, or topics you'll have to do again such as Volumes of Revolutions and Vectors that have transferred from C4 Maths to AS and A-Level FM (compulsory modules)

Quick Reply

Latest