Turn on thread page Beta

Is it illegal to cut down a tree in the woods ? watch

ReputationRep:
    I cut down a big tree today using a basic hand saw, it was a tall tree and had quite some width, it really is a good feeling as you finish sawing then hear the tree crackle so loud and then collapse.

There are a lot more trees there that I want to cut down but I want to make sure it's legal first, there was nobody around today as I was cutting this tree down, but when I walked back to my car there was a police car just opposite, I thought I was going to have a panic attack, I had the saw hidden in a bag and luckily the police didn't approach me.
    They were chatting with a lorry driver who'd parked there too sleep, not sure what they were chatting about

It wasn't exactly in the woods but along a thin path that spans a few miles long with threes on either side

So can anyone tell me if it's legal or not for me to cut down trees like this or am I an illegal logger ?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cleverboy1991)
    i cut down a big tree today using a basic hand saw, it was a tall tree and had quite some width, it really is a good feeling as you finish sawing then hear the tree crackle so loud and then collapse.

There are a lot more trees there that i want to cut down but i want to make sure it's legal first, there was nobody around today as i was cutting this tree down, but when i walked back to my car there was a police car just opposite, i thought i was going to have a panic attack, i had the saw hidden in a bag and luckily the police didn't approach me.
    They were chatting with a lorry driver who'd parked there too sleep, not sure what they were chatting about

it wasn't exactly in the woods but along a thin path that spans a few miles long with threes on either side

so can anyone tell me if it's legal or not for me to cut down trees like this or am i an illegal logger ?

Thanks
    Why are you chopping down trees!?!? What have the trees ever down to you???
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Depends.... Will it make a sound?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shadowdraconis)
    Why are you chopping down trees!?!? What have the trees ever down to you???
    Just trying to get experience cutting trees down, and it's fun.

So is it legal ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3pointonefour)
    Depends.... Will it make a sound?
    Depends on what ?

And yes it made a very loud cracking noise then collapsed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cleverboy1991)
    Just trying to get experience cutting trees down, and it's fun.

So is it legal ?
    🌲🌳🌴🌵 Don't touch my trees!!

ReputationRep:
    What so you just went to a forest, cut a tree down, and just left it there?!?! What do you need experience for, are you becoming a lumberjack?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loginrunner)
    What so you just went to a forest, cut a tree down, and just left it there?!?! What do you need experience for, are you becoming a lumberjack?
    Hi, yes I did. It sounds a bit pointless when you put it like that but I am getting experience of how to cut down trees, and I may even consider a job in tree removal and logging in the future

It wasn't exactly the woods but a long path a few miles omg with a few bends in different directions with trees around..

Just want to know if it's legal to fell a tree like this ?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    🌲🌳🌴🌵 Don't touch my trees!!
    Lol

I may even consider a career in the future for tree logging and land clearance using tree grabbing machines that rip the tree out the ground e.t.c

Lol , when we go back my nephew's wants to put some blue paint on his feet and leave his footprint on the tree stump

ReputationRep:
    Hi, yes I did. It sounds a bit pointless when you put it like that but I am getting experience of how to cut down trees, and I may even consider a job in tree removal and logging in the future

It wasn't exactly the woods but a long path a few miles omg with a few bends in different directions with trees around..

Just want to know if it's legal to fell a tree like this ?

Thanks
    I'm no expert on the law in this matter, but I would assume that if it was in some kind of national park or an "area of natural beauty" then it's definitely a no-go. If it's on somebody else's private land then that should be illegal, but if it was on your land then it's perfectly reasonable. How big was the tree you cut down?

ReputationRep:
    Lol

Inlay even consider a career in the future for tree logging and land clearance using tree grabbing machines that rip the tree out the ground e.t.c
    Do you not realise that humans need oxygen to survive? And trees produce oxygen from carbon dioxide. By killing trees you are literally killing yourself. Adiós brainless lumberjack
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    IWMTom

Also, Studying in North America forum???

Spoiler:
    Show

Ngl never even knew that was a forum
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    I cut down a big tree today using a basic hand saw, it was a tall tree and had quite some width, it really is a good feeling as you finish sawing then hear the tree crackle so loud and then collapse.

There are a lot more trees there that I want to cut down but I want to make sure it's legal first, there was nobody around today as I was cutting this tree down, but when I walked back to my car there was a police car just opposite, I thought I was going to have a panic attack, I had the saw hidden in a bag and luckily the police didn't approach me.

It wasn't exactly in the woods but along a thin path that spans a few miles long with threes on either side

So can anyone tell me if it's legal or not for me to cut down trees like this or am I an illegal logger ?

Thanks

Does the tree belong to you and is it on your property?
    Did you have permission from the owner of the tree if that isnt you?

If not then the answer would be no.

ReputationRep:
    Do you not realise that humans need oxygen to survive? And trees produce oxygen from carbon dioxide. By killing trees you are literally killing yourself. Adiós brainless lumberjack
    In the Amazon rainforest an area the size of Wales was chopped down in 2004 alone , I'm not cutting trees down on that scale

ReputationRep:
    sure lets go right nw fam. wanna see my axe?

ReputationRep:
    Yes it's illegal . It's classed as criminal damage . Someone or some organisation owns that tree . You may also be committing tresspass but it is the crime of criminal damage that you would be prosecuted for and could go to prison . It all depends on the cost of the damage caused .....quite substantial if one thinks about it .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loginrunner)
    I'm no expert on the law in this matter, but I would assume that if it was in some kind of national park or an "area of natural beauty" then it's definitely a no-go. If it's on somebody else's private land then that should be illegal, but if it was on your land then it's perfectly reasonable. How big was the tree you cut down?
    It was neither a national park or area of natural beauty ( ,lol it's got stinky polluting smokestack factories nearby )

The tree was about 15 - 20 metres high and about 2 widths of my hand wide

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Does the tree belong to you and is it on your property?
    Did you have permission from the owner of the tree if that isnt you?

If not then the answer would be no.
    In England at least (and maybe in other parts of the UK) you need to check if a tree is covered by a Tree Preservation Order before cutting it down even if the tree is on your property.

(Not sure if you can 'own' a tree independently of the land it stands on.)

ReputationRep:
    It was neither a national park or area of natural beauty ( ,lol it's got stinky polluting smokestack factories nearby )

The tree was about 15 - 20 metres high and about 2 widths of my hand wide
    Someone owns it ....

That's the important bit .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martin7)
    In England at least (and maybe in other parts of the UK) you need to check if a tree is covered by a Tree Preservation Order before cutting it down even if the tree is on your property.

(Not sure if you can 'own' a tree independently of the land it stands on.)
    So if a tree isn't covered by a prevention order then it's legal to cut it down ?

Thanks Martin

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.