The Student Room Group

Relevant BTEC Extended Certificates vs A levels

I've been looking through the internet and tsr and have seen that although btec extended certificates are regarded to be the same as A levels, they are seen as the soft option. Although i agree with some of these arguments against them, will I be in a disadvantage when applying for university?

I current study BTEC Business and ICT Extended Certificates as well as A level Maths and AS Further Maths. I am looking to go into uni to do a Joint honours degree in Mathematics and Accounting and Finance. I picked these specific subjects for my time in sixth form because i thought that relevancy was the key thing without knowing about how more academic a levels are favoured.

My question is would i be at a disadvantage when applying for this course since I do two extended certificates than compared to someone who does only A levels?
No you won't. A sixth form near me forces students who don't get enough As to take certificates if they don't think they'll get higher than a C in their subjects. E.g some who wanted to take Geography were greatly encouraged to do a certificate in Travel and Tourism instead. What I'm saying is, unless you're looking at Oxbridge or some of the highly competitive London universities you won't have issues so long as you get the grades.
Reply 2
I wouldn't worry op, combined with A-Levels they are a good choice and will get you a decent amount of ucas points. I only did a btec and I'm graduating uni with a first, publishing my dissertation and starting my masters at KCL in September. It's all about the work you put in. Goodluck op!
Reply 3
Original post by xEmilyxx
No you won't. A sixth form near me forces students who don't get enough As to take certificates if they don't think they'll get higher than a C in their subjects. E.g some who wanted to take Geography were greatly encouraged to do a certificate in Travel and Tourism instead. What I'm saying is, unless you're looking at Oxbridge or some of the highly competitive London universities you won't have issues so long as you get the grades.

Original post by Justmac
I wouldn't worry op, combined with A-Levels they are a good choice and will get you a decent amount of ucas points. I only did a btec and I'm graduating uni with a first, publishing my dissertation and starting my masters at KCL in September. It's all about the work you put in. Goodluck op!

Thank you both, very helpful

Quick Reply

Latest