The Student Room Group

Language requirements for University of Zurich

Im planning to apply to med school in the uni of zurich (swiss uni) but i dont know any german and its too late to start learning it now. Is it still possible to be accepted into the university and take the courses i need? (i wouldnt mind taking remedial german courses that the uni offers if i need to) thanks in advance

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nearlydone1
Im planning to apply to med school in the uni of zurich (swiss uni) but i dont know any german and its too late to start learning it now. Is it still possible to be accepted into the university and take the courses i need? (i wouldnt mind taking remedial german courses that the uni offers if i need to) thanks in advance

Why?

If you're applying in the upcoming application cycle, then you have over a full year to learn German. You can get to a conversational level in that time.
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Why?

If you're applying in the upcoming application cycle, then you have over a full year to learn German. You can get to a conversational level in that time.

I know that but there are some family issues that are preventing me from studying german this year
Original post by Volibear
If you don't mind me asking, how exactly would they prevent you from using apps like duolingo and watching stuff of YouTube to help improve your German? You could even go to a language group to practice actually speaking to another person and even that wouldn't have to be a regular thing.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Wait, i can use duolingo to learn the language and the uni (up to c1 i think) will accept it. Dont i need to do exams or stuff in german?
Wait, i can use duolingo to learn the language and the uni (up to c1 i think) will accept it. Dont i need to do exams or stuff in german?

Duolingo will not get you to C1. It’s used to get started in a language and you won’t get past A1 with it. Within a year, I’d say B1 and maybe B2 is possible, but C1 will not take a year, I know people who have been learning German for at least 3 years and they are only B2. If you need C1 German within a year then your best bet is to move to Germany and take German classes, even then I’m not too sure you’d reach C1 by then.
You'll have to check the entry requirements to see if you need have a qualification in German or not. Either way, it will only benefit you to start learning it now, even if you won't be able to sit the exam anytime soon.

I did but i got 2 different answers. On one page they say a C1 certificate must be submitted. On another they say that exchange students are advised to take a remedial course for german even if they plan on studying in english and i cant see my schools college advisor before mid september since summer just started
Am I right in assuming that you're applying this year for entry next year? Do you need to submit this certificate when you apply or can it be conditional?

Either way, starting studying for yourself during the summer won't harm you. Especially if you find out that you need to get the qualification before you apply.

Yeah im applying to unis directly after summer vacation ends and my first term will be in august/september of 2019. Ill start studying it alone but i sent an email to the admissions office asking if i need german to be accepted. If i am accepted and i go ill probably take a remedial course there. Thanks
Worth noting is that Swiss unis don’t accept foreign students for their medical degree (others yes but not medicine).

I was trying to apply this past year and was told it is not possible,
Original post by MagicalMedic
Worth noting is that Swiss unis don’t accept foreign students for their medical degree (others yes but not medicine).

I was trying to apply this past year and was told it is not possible,

The website of uni of zurich said they accept foreign students but its kinda competitive and stuff
Reply 9
On another they say that exchange students are advised to take a remedial course for german

You aren't an exchange student though. You want to study there full-time.

Exchange students just go abroad for a year in the middle of their course and then return to their host university.
(edited 5 years ago)
Learning German is fun. (I have german family)

Duolingo is good but so are books like ‘Cafe in Berlin’ - short simple stories. German kids stories are also good as theyll be basic language but will also have a cutural aspect in them as wll so you’ll learn how langauge is used day to day and learn some colloqualisms too! :smile:

Ich liebe Deutsch :heart: 🇩🇪

But on the entry. Ask the uni. :h:
I'm trying to relearn Spanish (studied it from school up until A-level but then didn't go near it for my time at university) and reading kids stories sounds like a great way to ease oneself (back) into a language! :biggrin:

Same here but with German! Esp as I have german family. Yeah they are!! :smile:
I think you should take a gap year to learn German language at least B1 or B2 level
Original post by Doonesbury
You aren't an exchange student though. You want to study there full-time.

Exchange students just go abroad for a year in the middle of their course and then return to their host university.

Yeah i realised that. I guess ill have to look for other good and cheap unis somewhere in europe if i cant learn the german in time
Original post by Jack22031994
Learning German is fun. (I have german family)

Duolingo is good but so are books like ‘Cafe in Berlin’ - short simple stories. German kids stories are also good as theyll be basic language but will also have a cutural aspect in them as wll so you’ll learn how langauge is used day to day and learn some colloqualisms too! :smile:

Ich liebe Deutsch :heart: 🇩🇪

But on the entry. Ask the uni. :h:

Yeah i started using duolingo today and i already know some basic words and its very useful. Thanks
The website of uni of zurich said they accept foreign students but its kinda competitive and stuff

Interesring, might sending me the link? I was told it would only be possible if my family lived, and my parents worked, for at least a year in Switzerland before I’d be eligible for an application. Because then it is a “Familiennachzug” allowing you to attend Swiss unis.
https://www.englishforum.ch/education/257576-studying-medicine-switzerland-help.html

I’m genuinely curious. Would appreciate it!
Interesring, might sending me the link? I was told it would only be possible if my family lived, and my parents worked, for at least a year in Switzerland before I’d be eligible for an application. Because then it is a “Familiennachzug” allowing you to attend Swiss unis.
https://www.englishforum.ch/education/257576-studying-medicine-switzerland-help.html

I’m genuinely curious. Would appreciate it!

actually you are right the pdf that had 'restrictions on admission' was in german and when i used google translate, there was a mistake in what i copy pasted. i re-translated it now and it says unless your parents lived there, you cant
actually you are right the pdf that had 'restrictions on admission' was in german and when i used google translate, there was a mistake in what i copy pasted. i re-translated it now and it says unless your parents lived there, you cant

Darn it, was hoping you'd be able to show me something I might have missed. Oh well :frown:

Good luck anyway with your future studies! :smile:
Darn it, was hoping you'd be able to show me something I might have missed. Oh well :frown:

Good luck anyway with your future studies! :smile:

Thanks☺
By the way, do you know any good and relatively cheap (7500-8000 usd per term) unis in europe?
Yeah i started using duolingo today and i already know some basic words and its very useful. Thanks

Thats good :smile:

This is the book I was on about (Also get a dictionary for this book)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Learn-German-Stories-Berlin-Beginners-ebook/dp/B00F33E3C0

Another good thing to do, is get some sticky labels and write the German on them for household items and stick them on it. for example, 'der Kühlschrank' for 'fridge' and 'der Geschirrspüler' for 'dishwasher' etc

Also have a look into differences between Swiss-German and German as there are a few.

Quick Reply