The Student Room Group

Does anyone know anything about muay Thai?

Does Muay Thai help you in a street fight/teach you how to get out of a choke hold and things like that? Or is it just punching and kicking?
Muay Thai is punching, elbowing, kicking and clinching in a nutshell.
Reply 2
Original post by runtime-error
Muay Thai is punching, elbowing, kicking and clinching in a nutshell.

BEAST
dont ever try a movie thing on a street fight. aim for the balls. play dirty win dirty 😎 randy orton style
Original post by Spain!!!
BEAST

Go gym
Great noodle dish
Original post by Anonymous
Does Muay Thai help you in a street fight/teach you how to get out of a choke hold and things like that? Or is it just punching and kicking?

Any style of fighting will because you will learn how to throw punches, kicks, elbows etc properly but street fights are completely different, if you do Muay Thai and spar/ have amateur bouts it will massively but if your just one of them people who just go on punch bags and pads it wont really apart from knowing how to put your weight into a strike etc
Reply 7
Original post by Rainfall
Go gym

I do man. It's a place of GODS
Reply 8
Original post by ElNiño
Any style of fighting will because you will learn how to throw punches, kicks, elbows etc properly but street fights are completely different, if you do Muay Thai and spar/ have amateur bouts it will massively but if your just one of them people who just go on punch bags and pads it wont really apart from knowing how to put your weight into a strike etc

what about for self defence like if someone tries to hit you or strangle you? Im a very small female (but have fairly broad shoulders), will may Thai help with defence? I find arts like karate and jujitsu boring I only really enjoy things like kickboxing styles. Thing is I want to be able to get away if someone grabs me.
what about for self defence like if someone tries to hit you or strangle you? Im a very small female (but have fairly broad shoulders), will may Thai help with defence? I find arts like karate and jujitsu boring I only really enjoy things like kickboxing styles. Thing is I want to be able to get away if someone grabs me.

Didn't you make a similar thread before?

Definitely as you will get stronger and wont be scared of throwing punches etc, I did Muay Thai when I was younger to prepare to fight in MMA fights, but since you are talking about self defense techniques I'm petty sure theyre normally all Karate because it involves correct techniques of throwing people to the ground when they grab you certain ways etc and jiu jitzu is normally learning techniques for on the ground which wont happen really in a self defence point of view if people was trying to grab you.

yes - but yeah no grappling in muay thai (as a girl you'd be at a disadvantage grappling) its all about attacking the weak spots.

you could try krav maga
Reply 12
how to you get into it?
Original post by Aidenscott19
dont ever try a movie thing on a street fight. aim for the balls. play dirty win dirty 😎 randy orton style

How silly.

I'd say almost noone offering advice trains themselves or have had fights

Quick Reply

Latest