Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi!! Sorry if this thread is rather irrelevant but I need some help. I am a student from Singapore and would like to garner the opinions of you guys.

I am currently in my final year of a Diploma in Biomedical Science in Singapore, after having completed Singapore-Cambridge GCE O-Levels. A diploma in a Polytechnic in Singapore is essentially one of the post-secondary routes you can opt for. In order for me to enter an undergraduate medicine degree in the UK I would require a GPA of approximately 3.94 on a 4 point scale. The only undergraduate medicine programs I stand a chance to enter are in the University of Adelaide (Australia) and University College Dublin (Ireland).

On the other hand, I am able to take a Bachelors degree in Biomedical Science in the UK and receive 2 years exemption. Hence, I would only need 2 years to complete a Bachelors in Biomedical Science, before applying for graduate entry into a United States, Canada, UK or Australia medical school.

Do you guys think undergraduate or graduate medicine is better in general? Also, which one is more competitive per say.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by lucastan)
    Hi!! Sorry if this thread is rather irrelevant but I need some help. I am a student from Singapore and would like to garner the opinions of you guys.

I am currently in my final year of a Diploma in Biomedical Science in Singapore, after having completed Singapore-Cambridge GCE O-Levels. A diploma in a Polytechnic in Singapore is essentially one of the post-secondary routes you can opt for. In order for me to enter an undergraduate medicine degree in the UK I would require a GPA of approximately 3.94 on a 4 point scale. The only undergraduate medicine programs I stand a chance to enter are in the University of Adelaide (Australia) and University College Dublin (Ireland).

On the other hand, I am able to take a Bachelors degree in Biomedical Science in the UK and receive 2 years exemption. Hence, I would only need 2 years to complete a Bachelors in Biomedical Science, before applying for graduate entry into a United States, Canada, UK or Australia medical school.

Do you guys think undergraduate or graduate medicine is better in general? Also, which one is more competitive per say.

Not really enough information for you, but in the UK, graduate entry is far more competitive. Why not apply for undergrad and if you dont get in then go for grad??

ReputationRep:
    Yea I guess that’s a better choice. I have been reading up online, and there are many articles saying how graduate entry is very VERY competitive. Thanks for your opinion anyway! 😬

ReputationRep:
    Yea I guess that’s a better choice. I have been reading up online, and there are many articles saying how graduate entry is very VERY competitive. Thanks for your opinion anyway! 😬
    It's competitive but people do get in every year even if they have to reapply several times.

Also, just to let you know, in the UK at least, standard entry medicine and graduate entry medicine and both undergraduate degrees. Postgraduate medicine is what qualified doctors do

Additionally, since you count as an International Student I suppose, GEM will be even more competitive for you as not every GEM running medical school accepts non-Home/EU students, and the ones that do typically reserve very few spaces for international students. For example King's usually only has two places for international students on its GPEP course.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    Dang, yea am aware of how low the number of international places are. Sad to hear. Thanks for your input though! Hopefully I get into adelaide’s program then

ReputationRep:
    But I guess I can also enter undergraduate medicine as a graduate as there would be more international places, and it would be easier right?

ReputationRep:
    But I guess I can also enter undergraduate medicine as a graduate as there would be more international places, and it would be easier right?
    There are typically more international places on the standard entry courses yes. I suppose it won't really make a difference to you funding wise.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    See my previous reply.

ReputationRep:
    Have a look at University Of Nicosia. They are connected to St George’s England where your degree will be coming from

ReputationRep:
    Hmm would not want to burden my parents or myself too much but I’ll just go for the undergrad first! If I do not get accepted I guess I would opt for graduate entry

ReputationRep:
    Hmm would not want to burden my parents or myself too much but I’ll just go for the undergrad first! If I do not get accepted I guess I would opt for graduate entry
    They are both undergraduate courses.

If you're an international student you're going to be paying for them either way so it's really a matter of if you can afford to pay for that extra year or not.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.