JTfoxlove
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
This guy seems to be really emotionally scarred by being circumcised at birth:

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/stories-...-constant-pain
I was wondering when someone would post this (the BBC seems to be doing a good line in videos highlighting unrepresentative worst case scenario coverage of male circumcision).

This individual's circumstances and experience are quite unusual and are not representative of the common circumcision experiences by either those who have it done at birth or for medical reasons later in life. It also sounds like the form of circumcision they received was very extreme; I wonder where it was preformed and by whom.

From the perspective of sexual function, we'd really need to know more about this individual's experiences. While ED could certainly be caused by complications from a circumcision, most people wouldn't discover that during having sex for the first time but instead when attempting masturbation. If this individual can enjoy and reach climax normally via masturbation then I'd suggest that while circumcision may be playing a part in reduced sensation during sex; it's not the sole issue causing ED.

The individual in this video should absolutely go to get support with the pain they described and physiological support to overcome the trauma they are experiencing. It also serves as a reminder not to buy intimate devices online that make major medical claims (the contraption that he was holding up already had perished rubber).

All surgeries are a risk, can go wrong and have unwanted side effects. So I'd never recommend circumcision or any other surgical procedure unless it is necessary. This case though is in no way representative of male circumcision.
Last edited by JTfoxlove; 1 month ago
Anonymous #5
Report 1 month ago
A very interesting response. Thank you.
KSM87
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It’s always sad when men are unhappy for being circumcised and feel really sorry for them. My personal experience has been very different: I’m a British man and was circumcised as a baby (my parents considered it cleaner) - being circumcised has not troubled me at all. I’ve occasionally wondered what it would be like not be circumcised, but like the way I am (and have never had a negative comment about it from girlfriends). If I had a son I’m not sure what I would do, but both parents should be in full agreement. My current girlfriend (who is Swiss) was surprised at first to discover that am circumcised (as it is unusual in Switzerland), but is now very much in favour. I despise FGM and am glad that it is illegal; male circumcision is not the same.
Last edited by KSM87; 3 weeks ago
Anonymous #5
Report 2 weeks ago
Why is FGM and MGM not the same in your opinion?

Would it not be best to leave it to your child to decide when they are old enough to make the decision themselves?
KSM87
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Why is FGM and MGM not the same in your opinion?

Would it not be best to leave it to your child to decide when they are old enough to make the decision themselves?
Thanks. FGM aims at causing sexual repression through cutting off the clitoris; the closest male equivalent would be to cut off the head of the penis. Male circumcision is the removal of the foreskin, so it is completely unlike FGM. As a circumcised man I do not feel that my sexuality has been any way repressed through not having a foreskin. I know that some circumcised men claim a lack of sensitivity; I don’t think this affects me at all. My girlfriend and I have a healthy sex life.

The issue of whether or not to have any future son circumcised is not easy. Circumcision should always be performed by a trained medical professional, with proper anaesthetics and done in a hospital. There are some horror stories of terrible damage being done by amateurs - this should be a criminal offence. The issue of personal choice is my biggest concern - I had no choice but am happy with my parents’ decision. I know of two men who were circumcised as adults and both wish that they could have been done in infancy, although they are both very pleased with the outcomes of their adult circumcisions.

When I was at primary school another boy needed to get circumcised after suffering a nasty infection. He was, at first, very upset about needing to be circumcised. I was able to reassure him, we became good friends (and still are). He soon became very proud of his circumcision. He is now married; he and his wife have had both of their sons circumcised (for non religious reasons). I would hate any son of mine to go through what my friend had to endure as a 10 year old - it would have been prevented had he been circumcised in infancy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (41)
7.78%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (308)
58.44%
No (178)
33.78%

Watched Threads