The Student Room Group

Finding success with a 2.2 Engineering degree

My friend who went to Cambridge to study Engineering recently found out he's graduating with a 2.2. Understandably, he's dissapointed.

He was a brilliant student when we went to college together but he found himself to be bottom of the rung once at Cambridge, I believe.

Is there any way he can find a job within the Engineering industry? And if not, are there any post-grad programmes you'd recommend to increase his employability?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Kvothe the Arcane
My friend who went to Cambridge to study Engineering recently found out he's graduating with a 2.2. Understandably, he's dissapointed.

He was a brilliant student when we went to college together but he found himself to be bottom of the rung once at Cambridge, I believe.

Is there any way he can find a job within the Engineering industry? And if not, are there any post-grad programmes you'd recommend to increase his employability?

Many grad schemes (and employers generally) do not filter on the 2:1 requirement - he simply needs to avoid those ones.

Has he started by contacting the companies he did his summer placements with?

He needs to start applying for jobs, preferably avoiding the ones that have a minimum requirement of a 2:1 degree. What kind of work within the sector is he looking at, what industries is he interested in, and has he already started applying to positions?
Original post by Doonesbury
Many grad schemes (and employers generally) do not filter on the 2:1 requirement - he simply needs to avoid those ones.

Has he started by contacting the companies he did his summer placements with?

Original post by Smack
He needs to start applying for jobs, preferably avoiding the ones that have a minimum requirement of a 2:1 degree. What kind of work within the sector is he looking at, what industries is he interested in, and has he already started applying to positions?

Thank you for your replies. I've passed along the idea that some jobs don't have a 2.1 requirement although he hasn't answered my question about his prior experience. I suspect he hasn't done internships as iirc, he did random summer jobs back home in an unrelated industry.
Reply 4
Thank you for your replies. I've passed along the idea that some jobs don't have a 2.1 requirement although he hasn't answered my question about his prior experience. I suspect he hasn't done internships as iirc, he did random summer jobs back home in an unrelated industry.

Cambridge requires a minimum amount of time on engineering placements so it's definitely worth following that bit up.
http://teaching.eng.cam.ac.uk/content/industrial-experience-requirements

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Firstly your friend went to posh boy uni so most people would take him on. The prime minister has a 2.2 from oxbridge. The people with this sort of thread should be the guys who didn’t go oxbridge

For those who are wondering, I recommend masters year as a way to bypass the 2.2. There are a few unis who will accept your 2.2
Original post by Khonsu
Firstly your friend went to posh boy uni so most people would take him on. The prime minister has a 2.2 from oxbridge. The people with this sort of thread should be the guys who didn’t go oxbridge

For those who are wondering, I recommend masters year as a way to bypass the 2.2. There are a few unis who will accept your 2.2

what's your background?
Reply 7
Original post by trapking
what's your background?

what you mean bro 😂 My degree? Or experience or what?

Not being funny or nothing but your friend got a 2:2 from Cambridge, one of the best universities in the UK and in the world so employers should accept him over someone who got a 2:1 from say a lower ranking university like Portsmouth or London Met. He should keep applying. A degree from Cambridge or Oxford stands out and is hard compared to other unis out there.
Original post by Khonsu
what you mean bro 😂 My degree? Or experience or what?

Apologies, should have made this clearer in my last post.

What is your initial degree and are you currently working or not?
Original post by madmirrors
Not being funny or nothing but your friend got a 2:2 from Cambridge, one of the best universities in the UK and in the world so employers should accept him over someone who got a 2:1 from say a lower ranking university like Portsmouth or London Met.

Because they are entitled to a job over someone who went to a lower university? Stop being retarded, lost brain cells reading this.

Original post by madmirrors
A degree from Cambridge or Oxford stands out and is hard compared to other unis out there.

Yes the degrees are hard but that doesn't mean you're more privileged/entitled than someone else who has worked hard at another university to achieve the same goal and has done internships etc.
Reply 11
Apologies, should have made this clearer in my last post.

What is your initial degree and are you currently working or not?

Aerospace, missed 2.1 by 0.7% cos they capped a whole module instead of an exam which was worth less than the coursework. Going to do masters year at a really good uni. I also know some real good engineers who have 3rds and non honours and so on and they have potential jobs lined up. It’s about you and how you sell yourself, if you can show you can make use of a “bad” situation and turn it to work for you, you’ll get some levels **** happening especially if you’re a people person and you’re genuine

I should add I have interviews for engineering firms coming up and have been interviewed once for one. They just dig into your cv that’s it
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 12
Because they are entitled to a job over someone who went to a lower university? Stop being retarded, lost brain cells reading this.

Yes the degrees are hard but that doesn't mean you're more privileged/entitled than someone else who has worked hard at another university to achieve the same goal and has done internships etc.

You’re a savage.
Original post by Doonesbury
Cambridge requires a minimum amount of time on engineering placements so it's definitely worth following that bit up.
http://teaching.eng.cam.ac.uk/content/industrial-experience-requirements

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's not much compared to someone with a year in industry though is it?

He should look at smaller companies which are less interested in someone with more industry experience. He has a double problem - not just the 2II.
Original post by Black Water
You’re a savage.

It grinds my gears :lol:

People just think by attending Cambridge/Oxford and coming out with a 3rd/2.2/1st class from there will effortlessly land you any job you want over everyone else just because you went to a top university lol.

The real world doesn't work like that, yes there are some cases where you might have an upper hand having gone there e.g. like some investment banks will only recruit from the top universities but they are in a minority.
Original post by Khonsu
Aerospace, missed 2.1 by 0.7% cos they capped a whole module instead of an exam which was worth less than the coursework. Going to do masters year at a really good uni. I also know some real good engineers who have 3rds and non honours and so on and they have potential jobs lined up. It’s about you and how you sell yourself, if you can show you can make use of a “bad” situation and turn it to work for you, you’ll get some levels **** happening especially if you’re a people person and you’re genuine

I should add I have interviews for engineering firms coming up and have been interviewed once for one. They just dig into your cv that’s it

I see. Congrats on your Aerospace degree!

I'm a Mechanical Engineer myself and have interviewed at many large companies, just about to do a masters though. Feel free to ask any questions if you have any :smile:
Reply 17
I see. Congrats on your Aerospace degree!

I'm a Mechanical Engineer myself and have interviewed at many large companies, just about to do a masters though. Feel free to ask any questions if you have any :smile:

What’s the largest company you interviewed for and how tough was it? The company I got on Wednesday is kinda big and I really don’t wanna disappoint

Oh yeah, by the way have you been given a post masters job offer? This sounds like some myth tbh
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 18
It grinds my gears :lol:

People just think by attending Cambridge/Oxford and coming out with a 3rd/2.2/1st class from there will effortlessly land you any job you want over everyone else just because you went to a top university lol.

The real world doesn't work like that, yes there are some cases where you might have an upper hand having gone there e.g. like some investment banks will only recruit from the top universities but they are in a minority.

Yeah I get what you mean. People are acting like if you get a degree from any other university you won’t be able to get job. I mean, someone from Cambridge could have a masters and another person who didn’t go to Cambridge could have a PhD and they act like the Cambridge graduate will still get the job.
Original post by Khonsu
What’s the largest company you interviewed for and how tough was it? The company I got on Wednesday is kinda big and I really don’t wanna disappoint

I can't really say one because they were many but I'll give a few examples:

1) MOOG Aerospace - They are a major manufacture and supplier of hydraulic flight control systems for companies like Airbus and Boeing (both of these aircraft use MOOG control systems).

2) National Instruments

3) Morgan Advanced Materials

4) Air Products

5) Lloyds Register Marine

6) PepsiCo

7) Johnson & Johnson

8) TATA Steel

And many others...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending