The Student Room Group

Very bored

I've finished year 11 last Friday and now I'm at home. I went out with my friends this Tuesday but after realising how expensive it is, I'm probably not doing it again (I need to save up a lot of money, probably £4k as my dad needs a cataract surgery and it can only be done privately). I applied to some jobs, but it's been a week and I still don't have a job, despite applying to many jobs. I've applied to over 60 jobs, with only around 5 replies, 3 of them declines and 2 considering. My mum and sister don't talk to me as we had an argument. My brother is hardly around due to work. My dad goes work in the evening. My little sister talks to me a little bit, but she spends so much time playing roblux. I've decided I'd probably be happier spending my time at work, but it's taking forever. Anyone got any advice? I'm not depressed, but it's boring the s*** out of me as I'm in my room for nearly the whole day. And 6th from doesn't even start until September. I would say I am mentally strong and can probably deal with this for around 2 weeks, but after that I'd probably be extremely very very bored.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Why don't you challenge yourself by learning something new ?Like maybe learn coding or take up a martial art ?
https://www.edx.org
This website you can sign up and take up courses in anything you like for free :smile:.
Original post by bobby147
Why don't you challenge yourself by learning something new ?Like maybe learn coding or take up a martial art ?
https://www.edx.org
This website you can sign up and take up courses in anything you like for free :smile:.

I guess I could, but I need to make money, but it seems no one gives a 16 year old a job. Even McDonald's said no 3 times to me
Original post by Nadim Chowdhury
I guess I could, but I need to make money, but it seems no one gives a 16 year old a job. Even McDonald's said no 3 times to me

Maybe just walk into your local shops and ask if they can give you a job ?
Could you perhaps see if you can get a job on a farm?
Its summer and they need workers to pick stuff like fruit.
Ok my dad is an employer of around 60-70 members of staff and a fair proportion of these are under 23. He does give jobs to under 18s, but only really if they come in and speak to him. He says that this shows a level of maturity and confidence that is necessary for his industry (he is a pub landlord of 5 businesses currently). From experience, working in a pub at the age of 16 is one of the best jobs you can get as that type of work generally fits well with a younger profile of staff. Bigger companies do tend to say no if you’re 16/17 as there are so many employment laws that they have to adhere to that it’s not worth the hassle, especially if they have a 16 yr old and a 20 yr old applying to the same position. My advice, go around to all of the pubs that you live near, taking several copies of your CV and ask if there are any jobs available and to speak to the manager. Leave them a copy of your CV and they may or may not get back to you. Happy job searching 😊
Original post by bobby147
Maybe just walk into your local shops and ask if they can give you a job ?
Could you perhaps see if you can get a job on a farm?
Its summer and they need workers to pick stuff like fruit.

Yeah, I'm probably gonna do that tomorrow. But not farms, cos there's hardly any in London! But thanks for the advice.
Reply 6
Go GYM
Original post by Xjabnrlv_saadx
Ok my dad is an employer of around 60-70 members of staff and a fair proportion of these are under 23. He does give jobs to under 18s, but only really if they come in and speak to him. He says that this shows a level of maturity and confidence that is necessary for his industry (he is a pub landlord of 5 businesses currently). From experience, working in a pub at the age of 16 is one of the best jobs you can get as that type of work generally fits well with a younger profile of staff. Bigger companies do tend to say no if you’re 16/17 as there are so many employment laws that they have to adhere to that it’s not worth the hassle, especially if they have a 16 yr old and a 20 yr old applying to the same position. My advice, go around to all of the pubs that you live near, taking several copies of your CV and ask if there are any jobs available and to speak to the manager. Leave them a copy of your CV and they may or may not get back to you. Happy job searching 😊

Can't really work in a pub cos I'm a Muslim (alcohol not allowed), but I'll apply to restaurants and shops. Hopefully the same principle applies
I'm extremely bored too. I don't start uni until the middle of September either :colonhash:

Maybe you could go and ask your neighbours if they want anything doing e.g cutting the grass, dog walking etc. to make a bit of money?
Original post by Spain!!!
Go GYM

Lol I really do need to hit the gym, but for now I need cash first. But thanks for th a advice tho
Original post by Milk Tea
I'm extremely bored too. I don't start uni until the middle of September either :colonhash:

Maybe you could go and ask your neighbours if they want anything doing e.g cutting the grass, dog walking etc. to make a bit of money?

I was thinking that too, but my brother knows a bike seller who sells bikes for really cheap. There's a large bike market in London, so could be capitalizing on that. First I need to learn how to ride a bike (yes I'm 16 and don't know, but better late than never). I was wondering whether UberEats or deliveroo employ 16 year olds, cos I'd be happy to do that.
Original post by Nadim Chowdhury
Can't really work in a pub cos I'm a Muslim (alcohol not allowed), but I'll apply to restaurants and shops. Hopefully the same principle applies

Yeah not pins necessarily but that side of the industry (maybe try curry houses and Chinese restaurants and the such) because they are most likely to be looking for staff.
I've finished year 11 myself and am bored as heck.. Riddles?
Original post by ShantelleLuis
I've finished year 11 myself and am bored as heck.. Riddles?

Name the next letter in this sequence: J F M A M J J A S O N ?

It’s like the only one I know 😂
Original post by Rhiannon1066
Name the next letter in this sequence: J F M A M J J A S O N ?

It’s like the only one I know 😂
D *insert imagined dab emoji here*
Shave your head for charity.
D *insert imagined dab emoji here*

I understand if you googled, it was exceptionally hard 🌚😂
I understand if you googled, it was exceptionally hard 🌚😂
In all honesty, I kind of knew that one already, took some racking of the mind to answer though XD.
In all honesty, I kind of knew that one already, took some racking of the mind to answer though XD.

I can know them and still struggle I’m so bad at riddles
I can know them and still struggle I’m so bad at riddles

same!

Quick Reply

Latest