gnb2001
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Taking the obvious history and english lit for a level, hopefully to get into ucl/lse/kcl but curious whether taking German as an a level would tarnish my application, is it respected/will it help me?
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's respected and would be a good choice.

The most popular A levels for successful applicants to Russell group universities for Law are History, Maths and English Literature but German is also a good choice.
as125
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
A levels for law

Hmmm

A level Law maybe?
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
you'll be fine. lanaguages are a facilitating a-level and it's not one a lot of people take.
Fonzworth
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by gerrynb2001)
Taking the obvious history and english lit for a level, hopefully to get into ucl/lse/kcl but curious whether taking German as an a level would tarnish my application, is it respected/will it help me?
German is one of the best European languages to learn, definitely go for it if you feel confident enough!
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by as125)
A levels for law

Hmmm

A level Law maybe?
LSE actively dislikes it, other universities are not bothered.
gnb2001
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)
Yeah I’ve been advised not to take it numerous times.
bigeyeshijabi
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I would defo take it. I took English Lit, Socio and History for A Levels and got into Kings to study Law but I wouldve taken a language if I was any good at it. Learning a language at A level is really facilitatig and I would reccomend it
Conniestitution
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Languages are considered extremely useful for a lot of social university courses. Taking it would be amazing. For law, you only really need a good essay subject, and as long as you have two respected subjects you’re good.
Beth286
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
German is a good choice, but also politics could be good?
gnb2001
Rep:
?
(Original post by Beth286)
German is a good choice, but also politics could be good?
That was what I hoped to do! Sadly, my sixth form doesn’t offer it as a choice.
999tigger
Report 2 years ago
Fine. You should also be thinking about what you enjoy and what you can most easily get the best grades in.
Beth286
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
That was what I hoped to do! Sadly, my sixth form doesn’t offer it as a choice.
Oh that’s so annoying! Is there a sixth form/ college elsewhere which offers this?? Worth reconsidering alternatives I guess
gnb2001
Rep:
?
Oh that’s so annoying! Is there a sixth form/ college elsewhere which offers this?? Worth reconsidering alternatives I guess
Yeah there is. In your opinion, would it be worth going to that sixth form and doing politics instead of German, bearing in mind the disadvantages of going to a new school (new friends, settling in etc.)?
Beth286
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yeah there is. In your opinion, would it be worth going to that sixth form and doing politics instead of German, bearing in mind the disadvantages of going to a new school (new friends, settling in etc.)?
I’m not sure because german may be more respected?? Only reason I suggested that is because my brother has just finished doing English Lit history and politics and has got an offer to do law. Personally for me, I’m moving to a college because of loads of reasons, but if you really enjoy school and have nice friends I would stay. Is there an induction day for the college that does politics where you could go an experience it?? Hope this helps!
gnb2001
Rep:
?
I’m not sure because german may be more respected?? Only reason I suggested that is because my brother has just finished doing English Lit history and politics and has got an offer to do law. Personally for me, I’m moving to a college because of loads of reasons, but if you really enjoy school and have nice friends I would stay. Is there an induction day for the college that does politics where you could go an experience it?? Hope this helps!
Oh, fairs. Yeah I’ve been and it was really good but larger class sizes. Anyways I’m going to write a list or pro’s and con’s as I have ages to decide. Thanks for your help and wish u well in ur A levels/college course .
Beth286
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Oh, fairs. Yeah I’ve been and it was really good but larger class sizes. Anyways I’m going to write a list or pro’s and con’s as I have ages to decide. Thanks for your help and wish u well in ur A levels/college course .
Yeah that’s what I had to do and realised the biggest list was the cons of sixth form so I’ve gone for college- and I’m doing A Levels good luck to you aswell!!
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
That used to be the case. However, LSE no longer state it on their website.
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ageshallnot)
That used to be the case. However, LSE no longer state it on their website.
Fair enough, but it's by no means the obviously good choice the poster implied.
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Fair enough, but it's by no means the obviously good choice the poster implied.
Agreed.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (513)
33.77%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (627)
41.28%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (310)
20.41%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (69)
4.54%

Watched Threads