The Student Room Group

A-levels for Law

Taking the obvious history and english lit for a level, hopefully to get into ucl/lse/kcl but curious whether taking German as an a level would tarnish my application, is it respected/will it help me?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's respected and would be a good choice.

The most popular A levels for successful applicants to Russell group universities for Law are History, Maths and English Literature but German is also a good choice.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
A levels for law

Hmmm

A level Law maybe?
you'll be fine. lanaguages are a facilitating a-level and it's not one a lot of people take.
Original post by gerrynb2001
Taking the obvious history and english lit for a level, hopefully to get into ucl/lse/kcl but curious whether taking German as an a level would tarnish my application, is it respected/will it help me?

German is one of the best European languages to learn, definitely go for it if you feel confident enough!
Reply 5
Original post by as125
A levels for law

Hmmm

A level Law maybe?

LSE actively dislikes it, other universities are not bothered.
Reply 6
Original post by Compost

Yeah I’ve been advised not to take it numerous times.
I would defo take it. I took English Lit, Socio and History for A Levels and got into Kings to study Law but I wouldve taken a language if I was any good at it. Learning a language at A level is really facilitatig and I would reccomend it
Languages are considered extremely useful for a lot of social university courses. Taking it would be amazing. For law, you only really need a good essay subject, and as long as you have two respected subjects you’re good.
Reply 9
German is a good choice, but also politics could be good?
Reply 10
Original post by Beth286
German is a good choice, but also politics could be good?

That was what I hoped to do! Sadly, my sixth form doesn’t offer it as a choice.

Fine. You should also be thinking about what you enjoy and what you can most easily get the best grades in.
That was what I hoped to do! Sadly, my sixth form doesn’t offer it as a choice.

Oh that’s so annoying! Is there a sixth form/ college elsewhere which offers this?? Worth reconsidering alternatives I guess
Reply 13
Original post by Beth286
Oh that’s so annoying! Is there a sixth form/ college elsewhere which offers this?? Worth reconsidering alternatives I guess

Yeah there is. In your opinion, would it be worth going to that sixth form and doing politics instead of German, bearing in mind the disadvantages of going to a new school (new friends, settling in etc.)?
Yeah there is. In your opinion, would it be worth going to that sixth form and doing politics instead of German, bearing in mind the disadvantages of going to a new school (new friends, settling in etc.)?

I’m not sure because german may be more respected?? Only reason I suggested that is because my brother has just finished doing English Lit history and politics and has got an offer to do law. Personally for me, I’m moving to a college because of loads of reasons, but if you really enjoy school and have nice friends I would stay. Is there an induction day for the college that does politics where you could go an experience it?? Hope this helps!
Reply 15
Original post by Beth286
I’m not sure because german may be more respected?? Only reason I suggested that is because my brother has just finished doing English Lit history and politics and has got an offer to do law. Personally for me, I’m moving to a college because of loads of reasons, but if you really enjoy school and have nice friends I would stay. Is there an induction day for the college that does politics where you could go an experience it?? Hope this helps!

Oh, fairs. Yeah I’ve been and it was really good but larger class sizes. Anyways I’m going to write a list or pro’s and con’s as I have ages to decide. Thanks for your help and wish u well in ur A levels/college course :smile:.
Oh, fairs. Yeah I’ve been and it was really good but larger class sizes. Anyways I’m going to write a list or pro’s and con’s as I have ages to decide. Thanks for your help and wish u well in ur A levels/college course :smile:.

Yeah that’s what I had to do and realised the biggest list was the cons of sixth form so I’ve gone for college- and I’m doing A Levels :frown: good luck to you aswell!!
Original post by Compost

That used to be the case. However, LSE no longer state it on their website.
Original post by ageshallnot
That used to be the case. However, LSE no longer state it on their website.

Fair enough, but it's by no means the obviously good choice the poster implied.
Original post by Compost
Fair enough, but it's by no means the obviously good choice the poster implied.

Agreed.

Quick Reply

Latest