The Student Room Group

free education in Scotch universities

I am resident with entrepreneur visa in Scotland with my family. My son is studying in high school in Edinburgh. Will my son get a free education in the Scotch universities if he is 2 or 3 years resident in Scotland ? knowing that we are Iraqi .
In other words, can an Iraqi resident finished his high school in Scotland get a free education in the scotch universities ?
Original post by haidersabah
I am resident with entrepreneur visa in Scotland with my family. My son is studying in high school in Edinburgh. Will my son get a free education in the Scotch universities if he is 2 or 3 years resident in Scotland ? knowing that we are Iraqi .
In other words, can an Iraqi resident finished his high school in Scotland get a free education in the scotch universities ?

I am not 100% sure but I think that so long as you are domiciled in Scotland and have sat your Scottish SQA exams here then yes you are entitled.
Reply 2
Original post by evalilyXOX
I am not 100% sure but I think that so long as you are domiciled in Scotland and have sat your Scottish SQA exams here then yes you are entitled.

Thank you very much for your quick answer . But how can I be sure 100% ? May be I have to email the same question to the Scottish Qualification Authority ?
Thank you very much for your quick answer . But how can I be sure 100% ? May be I have to email the same question to the Scottish Qualification Authority ?

You need to have been a resident here for 3 years before uni starts in September. Then you are eligible.
If you want to be 100% sure you should e-mail SAAS not the SQA
Reply 4
Original post by AzureCeleste
You need to have been a resident here for 3 years before uni starts in September. Then you are eligible.
If you want to be 100% sure you should e-mail SAAS not the SQA

Thank you but please can you tell me what is the SAAS ?
Is there any way someone from England can qualify for the reduced Scottish tuition fees but not have it paid for them?
Reply 6
Thank you but please can you tell me what is the SAAS ?

SAAS
http://www.saas.gov.uk/contact.htm
One of my mates was in the same senario and he had to reside in the UK for a centre period of time and therefore didn't get funding. I would contact SAAS
No.......
Original post by AzureCeleste
No.......

So Scotland will give free university tuition to everyone who comes over from Europe but won’t do it for their own British kin? How is that fair?
Reply 10
It's the EU rules. And also the reason why entry requirements for EU students at Scottish are much higher than England & Wales students.
Original post by Doonesbury
It's the EU rules. And also the reason why entry requirements for EU students at Scottish are much higher than England & Wales students.

Seems a fairer when you put it like that I guess
Original post by chrissy99
One of my mates was in the same senario and he had to reside in the UK for a centre period of time and therefore didn't get funding. I would contact SAAS

Original post by Doonesbury

Well, in my case the entrepreneur visa gives 5 years residency in Scotland if I open a business of not less than GBP 200 K cash . Then in the 6th year I can apply for the British Passport . May be I am better for Scotland than the EU students who are studying free in the Scottish universities because I am paying taxes like any British citizen and providing jobs to the British citizen in my business.The only one think that I am not allowed to do is the elections .

thank you very much for your help.
Original post by chrissy99

Well, thank you for your information and advice . I shall contact SAAS.

Quick Reply