The Student Room Group

Are vet fees expensive in the uk?

I want to get some pets in the future. I know pet insurance is only a few quid a year but what are the vet fees like?
Original post by s817
I want to get some pets in the future. I know pet insurance is only a few quid a year but what are the vet fees like?

Pet insurance is a lot more than a few quid a year' and vets fees are quite expensive. You'll pay about £30 for any sort of check up and basic injection, £80-90 for any sort of investigation, and operations etc cost several hundred.
Reply 2
Its £50 just to say hello to a vet. Insurance that covers veterinary treatment is expensive but might not be a bad guide to what you actually need to cover every eventuality.
If you are eligible, you can sign up for free Vet services at places like PDSA. What would've been a 300 pound surgery after my cat got into an accident was reduced to a mere fiver because they ask for donations (Thats all my Mum is willing to give away lol). Same with Neutering which is kinda cheap if we had paid anyway...100 pounds or less. The only thing we pay for are vaccinations and medicine. Cat medicine is so expensive... 15 pound for a pack of 4 antibiotic pills!!!
Pet insurance as well as other vet fees are kinda pricey especially if your pet is likely to get into accidents so we wanted to avoid that.
Yes.
I was nearly 400 quid out of pocket last week for my dog at the vet so yeah haha it is expensive ! Luckily we have pet insurance so we can claim a lot of that money back.

Animals are expensive (especially when they get sick) but for me they're worth it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest