thesunsflowers
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi,

I'm currently in year 12 and we've been told about doing the extended project, with the majority of our research and the general formulation of our title to be thought about during the summer holidays. I currently do English Literature, Ancient History and Sociology and would like to do English Literature at university next year and therefore would like my epq to be based around English. Initially, I was going to do the dissertation but because I have lost touch with reading regularly (I know it's awful since I want to do English at uni :'( ) due to stress, mental health and just general teenage issues, I feel as if I don't have a focal point for this essay, or enough interest in a particular author, genre etc to carry out such an extensive research project? Maybe I'm just doubting myself but I'm just stuck. My essay writing skills are generally fine (I'm predicted an A in my AS paper and have been getting A grades for the whole year) but I feel like I've only been doing well because I do as the syllabus asks me to eg the syllabus asks me to know The Great Gatsby inside out and be able to form a coherent essay about it under time constraints and I am able to do that. My english teacher suggested, despite the fact that I had told him i had not written anything creative since early high school days, that maybe I should consider doing an artifact, such as a poetry or prose collection? I'm South Asian and I was considering possibly doing an extensive research into my culture, learning about different South Asian authors and then attempting to write something similar? Maybe the role of women? For example, Rupi Kaur's poetry is something I might look at or Arundhati Roy's, 'The God of Small Things'? I don't know but I just feel like all my ideas are so empty and so limited, especially since the whole point of doing the epq is because of those extensive research skills. My mind is just completely muddled at this point and I'm just stuck.

absolutely any advice, ideas, constructive criticism etc would be highly appreciated!
HSennett
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm so sorry that you have had a difficult time with stress etc. and selecting your EPQ,
I think that a dissertation would probably be the most logical option with a project around English Literature and if you have been getting A's all year you are clearly capable of writing a coherent essay and therefore an amazing dissertation!
I would pick something you are passionate about, a novel or theme for example. I have seen an EPQ were somebody did it on how Frankenstein, the novel, is constructed and how particular themes or characters are meant to be interpreted.
If you need any more help or ideas just send me a message
Hope this helps a bit!
seruzachan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm also South Asian and I looked at post-colonial literature, and the effects of the genre on the skin-whitening movement in India
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (657)
33.55%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (831)
42.44%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (381)
19.46%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (89)
4.55%

Watched Threads