username3586426
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, I’ve been studying 3 a levels without a tutor but from a course package and will be taking the exams as a private candidate. How can i get a reference?
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by waitwhat?)
Hi, I’ve been studying 3 a levels without a tutor but from a course package and will be taking the exams as a private candidate. How can i get a reference?
Did you study at a traditional school for GCSEs? If so, you could ask a former teacher if they would write you one. This would probably be the best route, but former teachers may be reluctant to predict grades if they haven't seen any of your A-level work.

If you can't get an old teacher to write you one, or don't have anyone appropriate, you may need to speak to unis about who they might accept as a reference.

It may be difficult to get offers without predicted grades.
username3586426
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Did you study at a traditional school for GCSEs? If so, you could ask a former teacher if they would write you one. This would probably be the best route, but former teachers may be reluctant to predict grades if they haven't seen any of your A-level work.

If you can't get an old teacher to write you one, or don't have anyone appropriate, you may need to speak to unis about who they might accept as a reference.

It may be difficult to get offers without predicted grades.
How about if I get the required grades and take a gap year? Is it still required?
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by waitwhat?)
How about if I get the required grades and take a gap year? Is it still required?
You wouldn't need predicted grades, obviously, but a reference would still be a normal part of the application process. You could ask unis if you could apply without a reference, and some might accept this. Or you could ask someone like an employer to provide a reference.

You'd be more likely to be able to apply without a reference after you have your grades, but individual unis could still insist on a reference.
username3586426
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
You wouldn't need predicted grades, obviously, but a reference would still be a normal part of the application process. You could ask unis if you could apply without a reference, and some might accept this. Or you could ask someone like an employer to provide a reference.

You'd be more likely to be able to apply without a reference after you have your grades, but individual unis could still insist on a reference.
Thank you so much!😁
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (72)
27.69%
No - I have already returned home (29)
11.15%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (54)
20.77%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (28)
10.77%
No - I live at home during term anyway (77)
29.62%

Watched Threads