The Student Room Group

Feeling friendless - am I the problem?

Basically I have just finished university and I’m due to graduate in less than a month.
My final year was turbulent (to say the least), as I suffered what my doctor described as severe anxiety attacks and depressive periods out of the blue, forcing me to move back home and finish uni from there.
That meant that uni housemates became distant and hostile towards my situation (i.e feeling I ‘ditched’ them or became a liability to the whole housing situation), and my course friends ended up kind of dropping me from their friendship group because I was never around & found it hard to maintain contact being stressed with final year work (+ the mental state I was in).

So, to summarise, I’m feeling like I am the sole problem for my lack of friends. I have a loving boyfriend of over a year and a close family, so relationships aren’t problematic for me - and I do have 1 or 2 friends (although not often in regular contact) in my hometown which I’m currently in. But I’m left feeling like, after 3 years at uni I have little to show for it socially.
I was fine the first 2 years of uni - if I didn’t suffer what I did I probably wouldn’t be in this situation right now.

Im stuck it a rut of feeling resented by a lot of people which isn’t nice, as what happened to me could not be helped! But I feel so alone in going through such an experience, especially at the age of 21 after finishing uni.

Anyone else feel such away at all?

(I am fine in social situations now, but it’s just a horrible recurrent thought that people just don’t like me for me anymore)
It sounds like you had to take time out of your social life to focus on your mental health. That's a completely legitimate and reasonable thing to do and nothing to beat yourself up about.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending