Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm highly considering joining the army after school, I may earn a degree first I may not I'm not sure about that yet. However, I'm unsure which speciality to go into. Dog handling or a gunner ceremonial as I enjoy working with animals but the two are so different as a dog handler is working out in the field while a gunner ceremonial is performing. Does anybody have any experience in either of them and tell me what they're like to work as because i've ready through most information on the two
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm highly considering joining the army after school, I may earn a degree first I may not I'm not sure about that yet. However, I'm unsure which speciality to go into. Dog handling or a gunner ceremonial as I enjoy working with animals but the two are so different as a dog handler is working out in the field while a gunner ceremonial is performing. Does anybody have any experience in either of them and tell me what they're like to work as because i've ready through most information on the two
If you're thinking of getting a degree first then both of those roles are going to bore you massively - and the Army will be encouraging you to think of officer roles instead.

The gunner will still have an operational role, make sure you look into exactly what it is you're thinking about.
NFI
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Drewski)
If you're thinking of getting a degree first then both of those roles are going to bore you massively - and the Army will be encouraging you to think of officer roles instead.

The gunner will still have an operational role, make sure you look into exactly what it is you're thinking about.
I'm sure the dog handlers and Kings Troop soldiers who hold degrees will disagree.

As for operational roles for Kings Troop, they are mainly confined to MT, signals and stores jobs.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by NFI)
I'm sure the dog handlers and Kings Troop soldiers who hold degrees will disagree.

As for operational roles for Kings Troop, they are mainly confined to MT, signals and stores jobs.
There are exceptions to every rule, sure. But in the vast majority of cases a graduate is not going to find those positions 'worthy' of their degree.
NFI
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Drewski)
There are exceptions to every rule, sure. But in the vast majority of cases a graduate is not going to find those positions 'worthy' of their degree.
Screw the nut Drewski 😂 The types of people that think like that don't join the forces to get cold and wet for £30k a year. I'm sure most people, regardless of qualification, would rather be walking a dog through the countryside or riding a horse through Hyde Park with this week's met rather than managing a spreadsheet in a headquarters for an SO1 divorced, borderline alcoholic, workaholic who is chasing red tabs.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (188)
58.2%
I don't have everything I need (135)
41.8%

Watched Threads