STEM vs humanities/arts: who will survive AI

Watch this thread
e^iπ
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
AI will make a lot of tasks redundant in the future but which do you think will survive AI better, STEM or humanities/arts.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
Humanities and arts will survive better because there will be less inventive to automate careers based off those as the demand is lower.
Maker
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
AI won't make any difference to either. AI is good at doing routine things like processing student loan applications but not good at the creative stuff because you will need creative people to program the AI to do creative stuff so there will always be a need for creative people.
ShantelleLuis
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
What exactly is STEM?
Motorcate
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ShantelleLuis)
What exactly is STEM?
science, technology, engineering and mathematics
Wired_1800
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by e^iπ)
AI will make a lot of tasks redundant in the future but which do you think will survive AI better, STEM or humanities/arts.
Although some TSRians love to destroy the humanities and arts. I think AI will ruin STEM while many parts of humanities and arts may survive.

This is because basic STEM activities are routine and can be automated or replaced by AI, but humanities/arts demand more human approaches like creative and emotion. Even finance jobs are now being replaced by AI.

I think the bits of STEM that may survive would be advanced stages of STEM like advanced sciencd and tech.
e^iπ
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Wired_1800)
Although some TSRians love to destroy the humanities and arts. I think AI will ruin STEM while many parts of humanities and arts may survive.

This is because basic STEM activities are routine and can be automated or replaced by AI, but humanities/arts demand more human approaches like creative and emotion. Even finance jobs are now being replaced by AI.

I think the bits of STEM that may survive would be advanced stages of STEM like advanced sciencd and tech.
I think AI will make the grunt work in STEM redundant but I still think janitors will be worse off with the development of advanced AI.

The fact that Russia can.make troll bots that post highly inflammatory comments online en mass without human help just by analysing previous discussions on forums proves that AI can replicate human emotion (replicate, not actually possess)

I think there are more areas in STEM which are on the "cutting edge" and so AI couldn't possibly make new discoveries as it wouldn't know what to discover. Humanities on the other hand are usually just regurgitations of previous ideas so in theory an AI system could write a essay indiscernible from that written by a human.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
The tech companies are actively hiring humanities grads to work on AI.
https://news.stanford.edu/news/2011/...ce-051211.html
https://www.forbes.com/sites/georgea.../#7799d084745d
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/chris...b_5669505.html

Meanwhile, here's a nice article of which jobs will be most affected by AI
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...reative-health
citing this study by Oxford: https://www.oxfordmartin.ox.ac.uk/do...Employment.pdf
Wired_1800
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by e^iπ)
I think AI will make the grunt work in STEM redundant but I still think janitors will be worse off with the development of advanced AI.

The fact that Russia can.make troll bots that post highly inflammatory comments online en mass without human help just by analysing previous discussions on forums proves that AI can replicate human emotion (replicate, not actually possess)

I think there are more areas in STEM which are on the "cutting edge" and so AI couldn't possibly make new discoveries as it wouldn't know what to discover. Humanities on the other hand are usually just regurgitations of previous ideas so in theory an AI system could write a essay indiscernible from that written by a human.
I do not think that AI has gotten to the point of replicating human emotion.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (70)
19.13%
The paper was reasonable (136)
37.16%
Not feeling great about that exam... (108)
29.51%
It was TERRIBLE (52)
14.21%

Watched Threads