Turn on thread page Beta

STEM vs humanities/arts: who will survive AI watch

ReputationRep:
    AI will make a lot of tasks redundant in the future but which do you think will survive AI better, STEM or humanities/arts.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Humanities and arts will survive better because there will be less inventive to automate careers based off those as the demand is lower.

ReputationRep:
    AI won't make any difference to either. AI is good at doing routine things like processing student loan applications but not good at the creative stuff because you will need creative people to program the AI to do creative stuff so there will always be a need for creative people.

ReputationRep:
    What exactly is STEM?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShantelleLuis)
    What exactly is STEM?
    science, technology, engineering and mathematics
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by e^iπ)
    AI will make a lot of tasks redundant in the future but which do you think will survive AI better, STEM or humanities/arts.
    Although some TSRians love to destroy the humanities and arts. I think AI will ruin STEM while many parts of humanities and arts may survive.

This is because basic STEM activities are routine and can be automated or replaced by AI, but humanities/arts demand more human approaches like creative and emotion. Even finance jobs are now being replaced by AI.

I think the bits of STEM that may survive would be advanced stages of STEM like advanced sciencd and tech.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wired_1800)
    Although some TSRians love to destroy the humanities and arts. I think AI will ruin STEM while many parts of humanities and arts may survive.

This is because basic STEM activities are routine and can be automated or replaced by AI, but humanities/arts demand more human approaches like creative and emotion. Even finance jobs are now being replaced by AI.

I think the bits of STEM that may survive would be advanced stages of STEM like advanced sciencd and tech.
    I think AI will make the grunt work in STEM redundant but I still think janitors will be worse off with the development of advanced AI.

The fact that Russia can.make troll bots that post highly inflammatory comments online en mass without human help just by analysing previous discussions on forums proves that AI can replicate human emotion (replicate, not actually possess)

I think there are more areas in STEM which are on the "cutting edge" and so AI couldn't possibly make new discoveries as it wouldn't know what to discover. Humanities on the other hand are usually just regurgitations of previous ideas so in theory an AI system could write a essay indiscernible from that written by a human.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    The tech companies are actively hiring humanities grads to work on AI.
    https://news.stanford.edu/news/2011/...ce-051211.html
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/georgea.../#7799d084745d
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/chris...b_5669505.html

Meanwhile, here's a nice article of which jobs will be most affected by AI
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...reative-health
    citing this study by Oxford: https://www.oxfordmartin.ox.ac.uk/do...Employment.pdf
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by e^iπ)
    I think AI will make the grunt work in STEM redundant but I still think janitors will be worse off with the development of advanced AI.

The fact that Russia can.make troll bots that post highly inflammatory comments online en mass without human help just by analysing previous discussions on forums proves that AI can replicate human emotion (replicate, not actually possess)

I think there are more areas in STEM which are on the "cutting edge" and so AI couldn't possibly make new discoveries as it wouldn't know what to discover. Humanities on the other hand are usually just regurgitations of previous ideas so in theory an AI system could write a essay indiscernible from that written by a human.
    I do not think that AI has gotten to the point of replicating human emotion.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.