Has anyone here suffered from hypomanic episodes? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
So long story short, I am in my mid-twenties and have suffered recurrent episodes of depression since my early teens. However, more recently I've started to wonder whether perhaps I might actually have bipolar type II?

I've had at least 3 episodes lasting for several weeks (and a few shorter ones as well) where I've felt elated, had much more energy than usual, was much more productive, felt much more confident and attractive, and had a huge increase in sex drive (I've never actually slept around, but I become more flirtatious and have sent sexually explicit messages to male friends who I knew were interested in me - this is completely out of character for me). I also find that I end up losing weight during these episodes as I lose interest in food, and also struggle to sleep (not because I feel like I need less sleep, but because I feel quite agitated and struggle to actually fall asleep and stay asleep).

I have never felt out of control during these periods though, have never done anything reckless or dangerous, and actually find that I rather enjoy being in that happy and productive state (I quite miss it sometimes). They have made it hard for me to concentrate on uni work (and probably did make me underachieve on my finals), but other than that, there has been no negative impact on my life.

So my question to those of you who have bipolar disorder - does this sound at all like hypomania? If someone could describe what their hypomanic episodes feel like, I would really appreciate it.

I am not asking for a diagnosis or anything, and I will see my GP if my mood becomes a problem again. I'm just trying to figure out for myself whether what I have experienced could be hypomania or whether I am overthinking things.

Thank you very much for your replies
Nihilisticb*tch
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I'm not a medical professional but I think that it may be the case that you have bipolar disorder but perhaps quite mildly. I have known people who have bipolar disorder and those episodes can be much more extreme. I've heard anecdotes of people spending excessive amounts of money and putting themselves in danger when they're having an episode. However it's a sliding scale as to how serious an episode is. If you have these episodes a lot then it is dangerous because you don't know if you're going to have a more extreme episode where you so endanger yourself. I would suggest going to a GP and discussing it rather than consulting TSR which you said you were going to do. Its better to go to the doctor just to be sure and not to wait till you next have a problem as like I said these episodes may become dangerous.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I don't have a diagnosis of bipolar but have had hypomanic episodes (as my diagnosis - schizoaffective disorder - encompasses bipolar symptoms too) :yes:

I last had a what I described as a hypomanic episode to my psychiatrist in late April-early May. She asked me if it had been elation or hypomania. I asked her to explain the difference, so that I could give her a proper answer. She said elation is a feeling but is not accompanied by what she described as "biological symptoms" - it's just feeling extra-happy, etc. Whereas hypomania, as she described it, is elation accompanied by other/"biological" symptoms. When I mentioned I had not slept much but was still energetic, and that I'd deliberately started sleeping less because I felt "sleep was for losers", she said that's a biological symptom and that it was indeed hypomania I experienced.

Do mention your concerns to a doctor, for sure :yes:
Royal Oak
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
During my second year I went to a doctor about symptoms much like yours and got a potential diagnosis of cyclothymia (a milder mood disorder which can turn into bipolar disorder). Definitely keep a log of these periods to show to your doctor
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Nihilisticb*tch)
I'm not a medical professional but I think that it may be the case that you have bipolar disorder but perhaps quite mildly. I have known people who have bipolar disorder and those episodes can be much more extreme. I've heard anecdotes of people spending excessive amounts of money and putting themselves in danger when they're having an episode. However it's a sliding scale as to how serious an episode is. If you have these episodes a lot then it is dangerous because you don't know if you're going to have a more extreme episode where you so endanger yourself. I would suggest going to a GP and discussing it rather than consulting TSR which you said you were going to do. Its better to go to the doctor just to be sure and not to wait till you next have a problem as like I said these episodes may become dangerous.
What you're saying is true but so is OP - hypomania is a milder, less-extreme form of mania. You can still have bipolar but experience hypomanic episodes rather than fully manic ones.
sunandbutterfly
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So long story short, I am in my mid-twenties and have suffered recurrent episodes of depression since my early teens. However, more recently I've started to wonder whether perhaps I might actually have bipolar type II?

I've had at least 3 episodes lasting for several weeks (and a few shorter ones as well) where I've felt elated, had much more energy than usual, was much more productive, felt much more confident and attractive, and had a huge increase in sex drive (I've never actually slept around, but I become more flirtatious and have sent sexually explicit messages to male friends who I knew were interested in me - this is completely out of character for me). I also find that I end up losing weight during these episodes as I lose interest in food, and also struggle to sleep (not because I feel like I need less sleep, but because I feel quite agitated and struggle to actually fall asleep and stay asleep).

I have never felt out of control during these periods though, have never done anything reckless or dangerous, and actually find that I rather enjoy being in that happy and productive state (I quite miss it sometimes). They have made it hard for me to concentrate on uni work (and probably did make me underachieve on my finals), but other than that, there has been no negative impact on my life.

So my question to those of you who have bipolar disorder - does this sound at all like hypomania? If someone could describe what their hypomanic episodes feel like, I would really appreciate it.

I am not asking for a diagnosis or anything, and I will see my GP if my mood becomes a problem again. I'm just trying to figure out for myself whether what I have experienced could be hypomania or whether I am overthinking things.

It is quite hard to tell what you have been experiencing. I am glad that you have had some good days. Did you see a physician when you were in your teens? I am glad that you are planning to see a GP if your mood becomes a problem again. They will probably be able to give you the best advice. Until you see the GP, I would assume that you are overthinking things.
hafsaqamar
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

hey, I'm hafsa, I'm 16 and I've been diagnosed for cyclothymia, if you ever wanna talk I'm here, a lotta people don't really get me and I feel kinda alone at times and I'd love to talk to you/relate. my ig is saffqx n my sc is hafsa_qamar if u ever feel like it x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (216)
60%
No (144)
40%

Watched Threads