https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/food...on-at-a-glance

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resource...85-SP-2016.PDF

You arent saying which exam board?
flower2018
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
50% exam: 1hr and 45 min written exam in year 11 with question paper split into 2 section
50% non exam-assesment: which consists of 1 food investigation, a 1,500 to 2,000 word report (15%), and one food prep assesement;plan,prepare,cook and present a 3 course meal in 3 hrs (35%)
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by flower2018)
50% exam: 1hr and 45 min written exam in year 11 with question paper split into 2 section
50% non exam-assesment: which consists of 1 food investigation, a 1,500 to 2,000 word report (15%), and one food prep assesement;plan,prepare,cook and present a 3 course meal in 3 hrs (35%)
Seems to fit.
Marcbark143
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Is it hard?- No you have just got to really pay attention and revise key areas eg vitamins minerals protein ect.
What do you have to write in the word report?- For part one you do an investigation we did meringue, and In my case we tested the effect of different bowl materials on the meringue whipping time, appearance and texture. In the report you have to do research which correlates with the investigation then you explain the experiment and what you found relating it to the research saying why it did this ect. For part 2 you do the research on the topic given, for me it was European Cuisine so I had to reasearch different cuisines choose a country, find traditional dishes, gather possible dishes and explain how they’re traditional what skills it includes ect. Then once you do the practical exam you include pictures of key skills you used and give nutritional info ect how you could’ve made it better and explain how you made the dish highlight which skills were used.
Can you choose any dish for your 3 course meal?-Yes but it must relate to the task given eg dishes for vegetarians or Asian cuisine and you must try to include high skill methods eg bread, pastry, pasta ect. I got an 8 overall it all about adding fine detail and writing like the examiner is an idiot.
becca_cambs
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This sounds very like OCR in that you have to make a 3 course meal,
tips:
Attempt high level dishes,
Wash up as you go along,
Make a very detailed time plan, will help with your cooking and you will gain higher marks for it,
Stay on top of your coursework,
Use specific technical vocab

have fun enjoy the subject
Marcbark143
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I had AQA as mine but I expect they’re very similar. Although it sounds boring but it’s all the small things to add like what could I do to improve and sensory evaluations which can be the difference between a 4 and a 5. I wish I still had it but we had an official feedback sheet where we had to tick off skills which we included and what I found is things like sauces, cooking methods eg sauté and prep methods eg skinning, portioning and marinading were predominant so really try to get as many high skills in as possible.
Onikaminaj
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did aqa. You can make anything in the sense of any course so three desserts for example but you have a brief. No it’s not hard if you bother and have a decent teavhe. You didn’t specify but things like sensory tests, was it successful, investigation , science etc
PoppyH01
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by flower2018)
-is it hard
-what do u have to write in a word report in the new exam board
-can u make anything in the 3 course meal
Hi,
I took eduqas food nutrition and preparation.
I wouldn't say that the GCSE is particularly hard if you enjoy cooking. There is a lot of content to learn on both sides (practical and theory).
If by 'word report' you are referencing to the coursework this is very lengthy and does take quite a lot of time (depending on when you start it). It also is a BIG part of your final grade so it is important to do this part well and pay attention to it!
The brief for the meal changes every GCSE year. For example, mine this year was regional produce (so anything that could be sourced locally to where I live). Yours for your exam could be something like:
'Obesitiy is a big problem in XXX, create 3 dishes which contain a low sugar content'.
Overall, I thouroughly enjoyed my time doing the GCSE and hope (if you've chosen it, you do too!)
Marcbark143
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My teacher said she was given 3 options for part one on the topic and chose meringue experiments which was probably the easiest however I’m not sure whether the 3 course topic is a choice of 3 as well. We had European Cuisine which was mainly doing things like investigating traditions regional food and regional produce ect. I don’t know whether it’s the same for all exam boards but my teacher was given an exemplar which she went through which really have you a good idea on how the coursework should be set out however don’t use it as a template as the exemplar is probably grade 5/6
username4217046
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Food gcse isn't particularly hard if you actually have a form of interest in food. If you apply yourself and listen in biology lessons you can mentally have a visualisation and understand how certain process take place.There is a lot of theory work and so if you want a high grade in your non-exam assessment, you have to type like you mean it! Don't be lazy and don't do the bare minimum especially if actually creating dishes is your weak point. Your teacher may give you a checklist of all things you should do in your assessment so just make sure you go by that. This non-exam assessment can get tiring/boring so work hard in the beginning and when you come to your practical you'll only need too focus on that writing it up which is easy make sure your evaluations are, specify www and how you could've improved (the examiner needs to feel like you've thought of everything).The actual exams to me are quite easy...COMMON SENSE, COMMON SENSE, COMMON SENSE, especially in long marked questions if your ever stuck relate the question to real life, bullet point you may get some marks. If your relatively good at English (like me) this will be easy. In my class always found that lower set kids found it difficult to physically write but were good on computers, however if your extremely passionate then those kinds of things seem WAY smaller to what they are!Ask your teacher for resources as there isn't much material for this gcse subject, also ask for websites link which involve food quizzes, match up games etc.You can make anything put to get higher marks make pastries, bread, sauces from scratch. Fillet fish, and choose dishes with a few elements if they aren't WOW also don't forget to garnish.
Marcbark143
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In the exam you really need to aim for 90-100% in the multiple choice section which is mostly common sense anyway e.g. which of these given products contain the most saturated fat. For section B you really need to try your best in the recipe comparison and explained choice question since it is a great opportunity to easily grab marks I found that although they are 6 and 5 mark questions the questions at the end are usually the hardest but try to fill all the space as even mentioning something about gelatinisation in the correct context can count. After sitting the new exams one thing I found was that in a number of questions are concentrated on a certain topic for exam a few questions were on gelatinisation and starch based sauces so definitely revise the topics thoroughly instead of general skimming as you never know what they will throw in.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (112)
28%
No (288)
72%

Watched Threads