Can a sociopath recognize that he has a mental disorder? Watch

moni1609
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I was 1 year and a half with someone I believe was a sociopath or has any other mental disorder. At first he was the most amazing, he told me he loved me very soon and showered me with love, travels, gifts, attention and other things. Then he started being too controlling, he accused me of cheating without any prove, checked my phone even in front of me, punished me with silent treatments for very silly things. I started to being paranoid, even hiding texts from my mom, I felt guilty and I didn’t know why. He manipulated so much, that I started to believe that I was going crazy an he even forced me to have sex with him.
He was totally indifferent to my tears or pain, he said extremely hurtful things to me and lied about everything.
The last time I spoke with him, he told me to stay away from him, he told me that he was evil, that he was going to hurt me very much and that I will be better without him. I feel extremely confused because one day we were fine and the next day it was awful.
Nihilisticb*tch
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That sounds awful. But yeah he is probably either a sociopath/psychopath or mentally ill in some way. In answer to your question, sociopaths can identify that they have a problem but it is very difficult since they've never known anything different. The cause of his behaviour could be a number of things.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Made4Match
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm so sorry to hear you're experiencing a relationship like this. It's sad to hear the type of behavior you've been exposed to.

Outside looking in, any relationship that leaves you in fear of not being able to share who you are or has you walking on eggshells is not a healthy relationship to be in. If you're feeling you're having to hide your conversations with your mother from him, that's a problem.

How long ago was it that you talked with each other? In many ways I feel distance can be a great thing! However, I fear that he may lash out at you for not contacting him even though that is what he asked for. Do you feel safe? By him saying that he would hurt you very much, he has made a threat. I'm not sure how you feel talking to your mom about this, but my advice would be to confide in someone close to you that you trust and consider going to the police. They may be able to work with you to file a restraining order against him if that is something you'd like.

In the end, I just want you to not only BE safe, but to FEEL safe as well. I'll be thinking of you, please let me know if there's anything I can do to help.
JTfoxlove
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Really sorry to hear this.

Look after yourself and give yourself a chance to heal. You should talk to a doctor and get some support.

All that matters is your health, safety and happiness. You managed to get out of an abusive relationship - these sorts of relationships only go one way. Take care of yourself and I'd recommend avoid all contact with this individual.

Well who is and who isn't is a good question - mental health disorders really come down to a diagnosis from an expert. Someone with sociopathic traits - isn't necessarily a sociopath. Many people who could be diagnosed as sociopaths never are as they don't come to the attention of a medical expert and instead live normal lives and contribute to society. Someone who is identified as a sociopath by a medical expert, may be every high functioning and based on their reading of the literature and self-analysis corrected identify themselves as a sociopath. So yes a sociopath could correctly identify that they are a sociopath.

Many people will mental health problems know that they are suffering from poor mental health. Most people who suffer from incidences of poor mental health are not abusive or dangerous. The majority of us will suffer from poor mental health at some stage in our lives.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (146)
17.61%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
8.93%
No I am happy with my course choice (489)
58.99%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (120)
14.48%

Watched Threads