The Student Room Group

A-level Math syllabus changed how to prepare for exam

From this beginning of the year my math exam always give me a lots of trouble. Teacher said it is the first year on syllabus change and hard to give any advice.. I want to know if others all face this problem and how to treat it?
Although if may seem intimidating by the changes, the textbooks and online resources such as integral help so much to prepare yourself. You will actually find that most past exams (like parts in C3, C2 and C1) are in the pure part of the new A Level exams and are a great practise resource. There may be some parts that are different but focus on what is in front of you and make sure you understand the content.
To me, maths is genuinely just practice. I practice until it becomes muscle memory.

Here’s my favourite resources:
1. ExamSolutions on YouTube (gr8 videos)
2. Physics and Maths Tutor (loads of papers and questions)
3. Solomon papers (they’re harder than the actual spec, but when you do harder questions, the questions you receive in exams are relatively easy in comparison)
Reply 3
Original post by Tony_Ezio
From this beginning of the year my math exam always give me a lots of trouble. Teacher said it is the first year on syllabus change and hard to give any advice.. I want to know if others all face this problem and how to treat it?

I'm assuming you're in year 12 and are on holidays now. Go through all the topics you struggled with in class and do as many textbook questions as you can without it taking over your summer - also do old spec questions. Once you are comfortable with last years stuff start to self-learn the A2 content and it should put you at a massive head start for year 13 and make the content seem a lot easier.
I wouldn't recommend doing any new specification maths questions as they may be examined at your school and will be helpful for practice later on if they aren't. I ran out of relevant papers to do before the exam which didn't help at all
Reply 4
Yes, too much paper filling can not be helpful.
Original post by Tony_Ezio

I just wanted to ask...what's are topics that are added or removed from the C1,C2,C3 and C4?
Reply 6
There is a document show the difference online,
Original post by crtruo
To me, maths is genuinely just practice. I practice until it becomes muscle memory.

Here’s my favourite resources:
1. ExamSolutions on YouTube (gr8 videos)
2. Physics and Maths Tutor (loads of papers and questions)
3. Solomon papers (they’re harder than the actual spec, but when you do harder questions, the questions you receive in exams are relatively easy in comparison)

I use exam solutions it’s a god send
Reply 8
Hi do you think the change give you same confusing?

Quick Reply

Latest