The Student Room Group

FP3 Edexcel A level June 25th 2018 Unofficial Markscheme

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Chillichamps
I don't know what happened to me during the exam, for the matrix question I subtracted 3 from every element in part a and not just the elements on the leading diagonal.

In the last 3 minutes I realised, scribbled a lot of stuff quickly. Couldn't even start part c, but for part a where you were meant to get 3k = 6, I got k = 6 (due to the rush) and then used this incorrect value of k to get the equation of lambda like (3λ)(λ22λ6)12+4λ=0 (3 - \lambda)(\lambda^{2} - 2\lambda - 6) - 12 + 4\lambda = 0 . I know all of it is incorrect answers etc.

But how many marks do you think I can pick up on this question. For part a I hope I got at least 1 or 2 out of 3. And would they apply M1s even with an incorrect value of k in the expression?

Rest of the question paper was fine save for this brain fade, and S2 was a 40 minute joke too.

K=2 bro
I know I realised I was wrong but how many marks do you think I'll get for part b ft wih incorrect value of k
Reply 82
Original post by qwertyupoiuyt
My answers:
1. Proof
2. a) x = 0.5 Ln(11)
b/c) pie(15 -11/4Ln(11))
3. a) k =2
b) Other eigenvalues where 2 and -1 I think
c) Eigenvector = (4 -1 1)
4. 1.5 -5/8 Ln(5)
5. a) Reduction formulae show that question p=2 ad q = 16
b)((Around 90000)/105) *root(2)
6. a)Show that the lines are not perpendicular and do not intersect
b) 47root(6)/30
c) 44x -24y+10z = 61 for cartesian equation
7. d) c^2 = 25m^2+16
e) Area = 20

Please tell me if any are wrong

Are you sure about 44x not 41x
Reply 83
I know I realised I was wrong but how many marks do you think I'll get for part b ft wih incorrect value of k

lose 2 marks, rest are followthrough
Reply 84
Original post by qwertyupoiuyt
My answers:
1. Proof
2. a) x = 0.5 Ln(11)
b/c) pie(15 -11/4Ln(11))
3. a) k =2
b) Other eigenvalues where 2 and -1 I think
c) Eigenvector = (4 -1 1)
4. 1.5 -5/8 Ln(5)
5. a) Reduction formulae show that question p=2 ad q = 16
b)((Around 90000)/105) *root(2)
6. a)Show that the lines are not perpendicular and do not intersect
b) 47root(6)/30
c) 44x -24y+10z = 61 for cartesian equation
7. d) c^2 = 25m^2+16
e) Area = 20

Please tell me if any are wrong

Pretty sure I agree with all of these, from what I can remember anyway
Reply 85
Original post by g3ob
Pretty sure I agree with all of these, from what I can remember anyway

Did anyone else get 41x
Original post by toppo
Did anyone else get 41x

It probably was 41x cant exactly remember
Reply 87
Original post by toppo
Did anyone else get 41x

Actually not sure whether I put 44 or 41
I don't know what happened to me during the exam, for the matrix question I subtracted 3 from every element in part a and not just the elements on the leading diagonal.

In the last 3 minutes I realised, scribbled a lot of stuff quickly. Couldn't even start part c, but for part a where you were meant to get 3k = 6, I got k = 6 (due to the rush) and then used this incorrect value of k to get the equation of lambda like (3λ)(λ22λ6)12+4λ=0 (3 - \lambda)(\lambda^{2} - 2\lambda - 6) - 12 + 4\lambda = 0 . I know all of it is incorrect answers etc.

But how many marks do you think I can pick up on this question. For part a I hope I got at least 1 or 2 out of 3. And would they apply M1s even with an incorrect value of k in the expression?

Rest of the question paper was fine save for this brain fade, and S2 was a 40 minute joke too.

s a m e
hey, does anyone have any worked solutions for this paper? Thank you
What do you think will be the marks for 80 ums?
Original post by Mikemonne
I think it was like 44x +?y+10z =61

Yeah I got something like that
Ffs, this was supposed to be my best exam, but instead it’s depressed me...
Reply 93
What was questions 4? The context of the question not the answer
Original post by TheOnlyEman

My guess would be mid to high 50s with low to mid 60s as 90 - everyone I've spoken to found it very difficult and numerous people didn't even finish
Original post by TheOnlyEman

I think alot of ppl found this paper hard it was like the IAL 2017 f3 (A* was 61) i would not be surprised if they did 66 for an A* and about 59 for an A
Original post by jaspreetb
post your answers here and i’ll edit
q1) prove tanh(x) in exponential form
prove artanh(x)=0.5ln(1+x/1-x)

integral question) p=2, q= 16
Answer of I2= 97232/105 (sqrt2) fraction may b wrong

volume of revolution question) integrate from 0 to 1, sqrt(4x^2+5)dx

=5pi/4 (ln(sqrt5)+6/5)

matrix question) k=2

vector question) prove that the lines are skew, by showing that they are not parallel, and do not intersect

ellipse q7) a^2= 25, b^2= 16, e=3/5
minimum area of triangle= 20

GRADE BOUNDARY PREDICTIONS:
70/75 for 90UMS

Hey, do you have a worked solution for this paper? Thanks
Original post by Logiclearner0706
I think alot of ppl found this paper hard it was like the IAL 2017 f3 (A* was 61) i would not be surprised if they did 66 for an A* and about 59 for an A

Original post by Tjmoores
My guess would be mid to high 50s with low to mid 60s as 90 - everyone I've spoken to found it very difficult and numerous people didn't even finish

That's very close. I just need 81 for an A*, and i know i got around high 50s to mid 60s :afraid: guess i won't know till results day
Here are my answers from after the exam, along with some whinging and the mark allocations. I am unsure of some. Please tell me if I am wrong about any. Please note that I cannot send the paper to people.
1)a) show - 2 marks and b) show - 3 marks
2)a) x=ln(root(11)) - 3 marks, b) a=61/2, b=-30, c=-11/2 - 3 marks and c) (15 - 11/2 ln(root(11))) pi - 4 marks
3)a) k=2 - 3 marks, b) 2 and -1 are the others - 4 marks and c) (-4, 1, -1) (any scalar multiple)- 2 marks
4)a) show - 4 marks, b) show - 2 marks and c) a=3/2, b=5/4, c=root(5) = 6 marks
5)a) p=2, q=16 - 6 marks and b) can't be bothered with but I will put on later when I have done it - 5 marks
I got 5)b) wrong in exam but will have picked up somewhere between 2 and 4 marks for method - can't remember about my accuracy.
6)a) show - prove not intersecting or || - 4 marks, b) 49root(6)/30 - 5 marks and c) 41x-24y+10z=61 - 4 marks
In 6)a) I forgot to mention || and I solved simultaneous equations wrong. Think I got 6)b) but can't quite remember. 6)c) I made some silly mistake and got the RHS to be 0. I will be very annoyed if it turns out I have converted l2 into vector form wrong
7)a) In standard form for an ellipse: a=5 and b=4 (and e=3/5) - 5 marks, b) show - 2 marks, c) p=25, q=16 - 3 marks, d) show - 3 marks and e) 20 - 2 marks
Can anyone see an easier way to do 7)e) than differentiation?
Did anyone else find that they were drained after S2 (S2 and FP3 clashed for those who aren't aware) and found the FP3 exam harder than it actually was and made silly mistakes?
How many UMS will 66 be? Which is the minimum mark I got assuming I get 0/9 for the matrices question which I f***ed up

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending