The Student Room Group

Ocr mei fp2 (25/06/2018)

How did people find the paper? Honestly thought that was the worst fp2 paper they have ever given.
holy , **** this paper was horrible , the only question that was similar to nay other past paper was question 3 the second half of question 2 was bad and woudnt be surprised if an a was 50 or less marks
Reply 2
It was from hell! Who manages to do question 1? Or the one with cot4theta
Reply 3
what the actual f*** I couldn't even do the easy integration by parts one, kept getting pi +2 wtf and the cot4theta i just did cos/sin then applied the expansion of (costheta+jsintheta)^4/(costheta-jsintheta) and then equated real. wtf was that last substitution question? I'm now off to chug some bleach.
Reply 4
The first question was difficult too! How are you supposed to find maximum x, the derivative is so complex!
Reply 5
x=rcos(theta). This gives x=acos^2(theta)sin^2(theta)=a/4sin(2theta). So maximised when theta=pi/4.
Original post by NJSimons
x=rcos(theta). This gives x=acos^2(theta)sin^2(theta)=a/4sin(2theta). So maximised when theta=pi/4.

omfgi guess this answer and i drew the graph on my graphical calculator and it seemed to get this as theta lololol, still prob one mark doe sucks
Reply 7
Original post by NJSimons

Hello!

1. shouldn't it be a/4(sin(2theta))^2?
2. I somehow did not manage to show theta=pi/4, but rather differentiated a/4sin(2theta) and got a wrong answer, is this likely to be a 2/3?
Reply 8
FP2 has been troubling me soooo much so I decided to write out how I've done in it.

Q1 part

1. Q1 part 1: as above, reached the step x=a/4(sin(2theta))^2, but did not get pi/4. (2/3marks)
2. Q2: failed attempt to differentiate 0.5sin(2theta)(1-sin(theta))^2 (1/4marks)
3: (i) correct graph (1 mark)
(ii) correct deviation but missed out the plus minus sign (2/3marks)
4: subbed in 1+u but integration by substitution failed as limits had errors (3/6marks)

Q2 part

1. cot(theta) was fine (5/5) or out of 4, cannot remember
2. Did not know what I was doing, got cos(theta)+sin(theta) plus minus j, likely wrong (0/4)
3. alright but expressed in exponential form (3/4)
4. worked out sum of argument and multiplied modulus for ONLY ONE PAIR in the four roots (1/4)

Q3 and Q4 are standard, both were fine.
I lost so many marks in Q1 and Q2, down to 56/72 at best.
not long now.....

Quick Reply

Latest