Which eras of history did you cover at school? Watch

shadowdweller
  • TSR Support Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
What eras of history did you cover at school? Were there any major times you think were missed, or not covered in enough depth or accuracy?

In addition to this, have you continued learning about any of the eras you studied, and if so, what sparked such interest in them?
IndigoComet800
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
This year for my GCSEs I studied
Weimar and Nazi Germany
Cold War
Elizabethan Era
Medicine through time (medieval, renaissance, trenches and modern)

I enjoyed most of my history lessons but I felt they cut off some of the most important bits. For example, Nazi Germany cuts off just as WW2 starts meaning we don't learn about the holocaust or any other things that happen in WW2. I see this as a problem because it doesn't give a closed ending on Nazi Germany.

Cold War was good but at times I found it boring such as all the conferences but that's a matter of opinion.

Sometimes different books would give us different statistics which made you feel like you can be too inaccurate in the exam.

We didn't explore the Vietnam war for history but I heard that's another topic so that's not too bad. We did the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan which is basically the Vietnam of the communists
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
cerysdafina
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
for my gcses, this year i did:
Weimar and Nazi Germany
Development of the USA: 1920-1990
Russia in transition: 1905-1924
we also did our controlled assessment on dunkirk and evacuations in ww2

I loved history it’s by far my favourite subject, the topic i enjoyed most was definitely america and i already knew a lot about it from watching documentaries and reading books in my spear time.

i also found dunkirk very interesting which led to me watching the film, reading many books on it and watching documentaries.

i liked history so much that i’m continuing it next year for alevel, we’re doing weimar and nazi germany (in more depth), american century (1900-2000 in depth) and the tudors

hope this helped )
Your Local Cat
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
The period of King Henry VIII, 4 years in a row. All I remember is that he was a murderous ****.
TheDepressedOne
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
No idea, never paid a single ounce of attention in my history lessons.
CoolCavy
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Year 7: we did the peasants revolt, feudal system and whatnot, bit about stonehenge and the Bayeux tapestry 1066 and stuff. Cant remember much else tbh. Our then history teacher was very academic and would get distracted very easily and had a cool mustache that looked like a little thatched roof
Year 8: Cant remember if im being honest, year 8 and 9 kind of blurred into one cos we had the same teacher both years for history and geography. Remember doing something on the holocaust that was it really
Year 10: Causes of WW1, Treaty of Versailles and League of Nations, Hitler's foreign Policy
Year 11: 1920s America (roaring 20s and depression), Vietnam War and some stuff on WWI propaganda posters for coursework
Year 12: Germany 1871 - 1929, Britain 1951 to start of Margaret Thatcher
Year 12: Germany 1929-1990, Britain Margaret Thatcher to 2007
CollectiveSoul
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
we were lucky. aside from the sanctimonious US civil rights stuff, we got to do the Beatlemania & the Swinging 60s.
Blue_Cow
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by shadowdweller)
What eras of history did you cover at school? Were there any major times you think were missed, or not covered in enough depth or accuracy?

In addition to this, have you continued learning about any of the eras you studied, and if so, what sparked such interest in them?
Nazis, Cold War, Roman Britain - present day (Crime and Punishment), suffragettes, miner's strike, general strike, poll tax riots, American West (manifest destiny all the way to the railroads being finished)

This was at GCSE level. I haven't continued to study any of this and for the exam all I did was memorise every single date in the textbook in order to get marks for my answers. Worked out well, got an A* with 95+% on all my papers.
justanotherchica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
history at my school was soo ****

i can count all the things we DIDn'T learn: (all i remember is ww1, vikings and the cold war and slavery)
WW2
The french revolution
colonialism (we touched on it at GCSE)
vietnam war

the two that im especially angry about is the french revolution and indian colonialism. I did my own research on the french revolution and I loved it so much but hated that we never covered it at school. Indian colonialism is pretty personal to me because my knowledge is still so weak and when it comes to discussions about racism, i cant relate to what other people say sometimes because my there are gaps in my knowledge but im learning now.
icequeenTM
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Primary - Elizabethan Era and bits and bobs of the Tudors namely Henry VIII.

Secondary - Medieval period (we went into considerable detail regarding motte-and-bailey castles *eye roll*). Nazi Germany and Medicine Through Time.
Professional G
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by justanotherchica)
history at my school was soo ****

i can count all the things we DIDn'T learn: (all i remember is ww1, vikings and the cold war and slavery)
WW2
The french revolution
colonialism (we touched on it at GCSE)
vietnam war

the two that im especially angry about is the french revolution and indian colonialism. I did my own research on the french revolution and I loved it so much but hated that we never covered it at school. Indian colonialism is pretty personal to me because my knowledge is still so weak and when it comes to discussions about racism, i cant relate to what other people say sometimes because my there are gaps in my knowledge but im learning now.
Hey. 😊
DrawTheLine
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I remember doing the bit in between the 2 world wars about Hitler and his rise to power, and then we did the Cold War. That's all I can remember doing in GCSE history.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Primary school - Aztecs, Romans, WWI
Secondary school/college - Cold war, unification of Italy, Spanish civil war, WWI & II, Russian revolution

All in all piss all :lol: I've learnt infinitely more from independent study than the national curriculum taught us
shadowdweller
  • TSR Support Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by ShishaSmoker1)
No idea, never paid a single ounce of attention in my history lessons.
Are you still as disinterested in history now, or was it just the lessons in school that you didn't enjoy?
TheDepressedOne
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by shadowdweller)
Are you still as disinterested in history now, or was it just the lessons in school that you didn't enjoy?
I’m still not that interested in history but I guess that stems from the fact that my history lessons were pretty dull and boring so led me to lose interest.
Gwilym101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Secondary school:
World from 1900; liberal reforms, WWI, WWII, Cold War, bits of the russian revolution, civil rights movement etc
Battle of Hastings
English Civil War
The Slave Trade

Primary:
Romans
Greeks
Egyptians
WWII
Chucke1992
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
At school, I studied eras from the stone age to the 2000s. Like - one era - one year or something. Don't particularly remember. More or less covered everything but in comparison with those who specialized in a specific part of the history (like Byzantine) it was a drop in the bucket.
Also there was a separate course about the history of my country.

I do like history but I prefer being a jack of all trades than true historian.
Liv2109
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
For my course I studied the rise of the Nazis and when they were in power, crime and punishment and sport, leisure and tourism (:facepalm:).

Sport, leisure and tourism was so tedious.
The history of sport was so fricking boring. It took me about 6 weeks to learn a 10 page booklet because I honestly could not bring myself to look at it. Then we had to do the history of entertainment, so the rise of technology in the 21st century, TV, radio and the cinema. Then we had to do the change in holiday patterns, yaaaay (not). I think the time frame ranged from 1920s - 2010.

Crime and punishment was really interesting (although we didn't learn the punishment part because there are 3 sections of the exam but you only need to study two - there's not enough time to complete the course otherwise). We did the causes of crime from the 1500s to the present day and then we did the change and development of policing from the same time. The causes of crime was definitely my favourite and probably my best and I really enjoyed writing my 10 page essay on it in the exam

By far the most interesting one that I studied was Weimar and Nazi Germany. I absolutely loved it and can't wait to learn more about it next year! I think I find it the most interesting because I have an interest in RE in school so this time period is a nice mixture for me. I'm hoping to really progress history as far as I possibly can as I've always loved and had a passion for it. I really hope to do a PhD in History and I'd love it to have something to do with this topic! What I'd love to look into is the psychology behind it and I think that would be really useful for us today with all of the terrorism going on

In primary I learnt a lot about the Romans and the Celts - I found this very interesting! However, when I went to secondary we didn't do any of that which is a shame. I think schools should definitely focus a little more on ancient history, it really does seem to be neglected nowadays. Instead there was a heavy focus on medieval times and we did a bit about slavery and America - I didn't really find this that interesting in all honesty.
Pantera Fan Club
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Some folks are born made to wave the flag
Ooh, they're red, white and blue
And when the band plays "Hail to the chief"
Ooh, they point the cannon at you, Lord
It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no senator's son, son
It ain't me, it ain't me; I ain't no fortunate one, no
MiriamButcher
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
In Year 7, we looked at the Battle of Hastings and the Battle of Stamford Bridge, alongside a bit of family history.

In Year 8, we looked at Queen Elizabeth’s rule (social aspects and the Spanish Armada), along with the Protestant Reformation.

In Year 9, we looked at Victorian England and the Atlantic Slave Trade. We also studied the cause of WWI and the Battle of the Somme.

At GCSE level, we studied:

America, a nation of contrast (1900-1930)
Russia in Transition (1905-1924)
The Middle East (1900-2000)
Evacuation during WWII
The Evacuation at Dunkirk

At GCSE, I would have liked to study older history a bit more, but I know that next year I will study the Tudors in greater depth. I’ll also study the USA century (1900-2000) and the rise and fall of the Weimar Republic + Nazi Germany.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (88)
14.52%
Yes - a food allergy (63)
10.4%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (15)
2.48%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (16)
2.64%
No (424)
69.97%

Watched Threads