The Student Room Group

Which eras of history did you cover at school?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ShishaSmoker1
I’m still not that interested in history but I guess that stems from the fact that my history lessons were pretty dull and boring so led me to lose interest.

It’s a shame that it is often taught in such a dull way - I do agree that it puts people off in the long term too!
Reply 21
In primary school: ancient Rome in year 3, the Tudors in year 4, ancient Greece in year 5, 20th century British society in year 6. In year 7 and 8 for common entrance it was England from 1066-1485. In year 9 it was the causes of WW1, the inter-war years and Nazi Germany. For GCSE it was the origins of the cold war, the Vietnam war, the Cuban missile crisis, the Russian revolution and Stalin and the USA in the early 20th century.
Finally at A-level it's the late Tudors (1547-1603), Russia 1890-1941 and civil rights in the USA 1865-1992 (my personal favourite).
There's a complete gap in the 17th and 18th centuries as well as the first millennium AD.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by IndigoComet800
This year for my GCSEs I studied
Weimar and Nazi Germany
Cold War
Elizabethan Era
Medicine through time (medieval, renaissance, trenches and modern)

I enjoyed most of my history lessons but I felt they cut off some of the most important bits. For example, Nazi Germany cuts off just as WW2 starts meaning we don't learn about the holocaust or any other things that happen in WW2. I see this as a problem because it doesn't give a closed ending on Nazi Germany.

Cold War was good but at times I found it boring such as all the conferences but that's a matter of opinion.

Sometimes different books would give us different statistics which made you feel like you can be too inaccurate in the exam.

We didn't explore the Vietnam war for history but I heard that's another topic so that's not too bad. We did the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan which is basically the Vietnam of the communists

We did the same topics except our school chose Migration (AQA history GCSE)

we didn't look at the soviet invasion of Afghanistan, but I we did more of the history of the Middle East like Iran and I found things like the 100 years war really boring

I really liked the Cold war and Weimar Germany topic

Would have wanted to learn more about Russia
It's amazing how 12 years of German history seems to occupy at least 25% of the British history curriculum.
Original post by Jacque Inaboques
It's amazing how 12 years of German history seems to occupy at least 25% of the British history curriculum.

It does seem to span across a large portion of history education. Obviously it is an incredibly important piece of history, but I think it should also be made sure that pupils are being taught a wider range of historical topics alongside it.
Primary school: Romans, Vikings, WW2, the 1900s and the Scottish Wars of Independence

Secondary school: Never did much, as we only did it for 2 years before picking subjects, and even then, the year was split 3 ways between geography, history and modern studies. Think we did stuff about WW2 and can vaguely remember doing something about castles.
Tudors, WW2, and the Plague. That's pretty much all I covered in my entire schooling. I dropped it after GCSE as A Level was MORE Tudors, and by that point I had lost all interest in history
It all went in one ear and out the other. Just as well, as history is all propaganda. New interests: am wondering if there are people in the British Isles who descend from Spanish sailors who were aboard ships in the retreat of the Spanish Armada.

Nothing amazing about it. The idea is to promote anti-white propaganda in schools (get them while they're young).
Original post by super_kawaii
Tudors, WW2, and the Plague. That's pretty much all I covered in my entire schooling. I dropped it after GCSE as A Level was MORE Tudors, and by that point I had lost all interest in history

Did you cover them repeatedly each year then? That doesn’t sound much fun!
Original post by shadowdweller
Did you cover them repeatedly each year then? That doesn’t sound much fun!

Pretty much. HATED history at compulsory education. Loved the history modules I did in my degree though
Original post by super_kawaii
Pretty much. HATED history at compulsory education. Loved the history modules I did in my degree though

I find it interesting that you hated it in compulsory education but still studied a degree with some history modules - what sparked that, if you don't mind me asking?

Be fair, there were millions of people killed and a lot of destruction as a consequence and there are even people still alive who suffered through it. Not you, obviously, but that is downplaying it a bit from a safe distance. German history, really...

I can't see what is there to learn from a degree in History that you can't learn at home for the fun of it but I don't have one and no doubt that is what makes it less than clear. Personally, I didn't like History at school and developed a taste for it (you can't understand the world if you don't know the history of it) well after leaving academia behind and... I know enough to get by.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by shadowdweller
I find it interesting that you hated it in compulsory education but still studied a degree with some history modules - what sparked that, if you don't mind me asking?

History isn't an official part of my degree-my degree is Chinese Studies with Japanese. I've always been interested in East Asian history and it's influence on modern society, as well as the Cold War from the Chinese perspective and the Mao era

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending