Can i go to these uni's with these BTEC grades?

Watch
WereWolf_Engine
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am doing my first year of level 3 engineering subsidiary, at the end of the extended diploma next year, if i get D*D*D or D*DD can i go to the uni's i listed.

To sum it up, they require D*DD-DDD and an A in A level maths or D*D*D*. So if i get D*D*D will i meet any of those requirements and will they consider a place for me and i also want to know experiences from people who applied to high achieving Uni's specifically in engineering related degrees with Btec grades.

Uni of Bath
Uni of Manchester
Sheffield
Southhampton
UCL
Bristol
Leeds
Loughborough
Surrey
Newcastle
Birmingham
Charlotte's Web
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by WereWolf_Engine)
I am doing my first year of level 3 engineering subsidiary, at the end of the extended diploma next year, if i get D*D*D or D*DD can i go to the uni's i listed.

To sum it up, they require D*DD-DDD and an A in A level maths or D*D*D*. So if i get D*D*D will i meet any of those requirements and will they consider a place for me and i also want to know experiences from people who applied to high achieving Uni's specifically in engineering related degrees with Btec grades.

Uni of Bath
Uni of Manchester
Sheffield
Southhampton
UCL
Bristol
Leeds
Loughborough
Surrey
Newcastle
Birmingham
If they have stated they will accept D*D*D* then that is what they will expect as a minimum. If you achieve D*D*D then there is a fair chance your application would be rejected as you would not have met the minimum entry requirements (I assume from your post you don't have an A in A level maths).

Whether they would consider people with lower requirements is unlikely but does depend on the volume of other applicants and the quality of their applications. Generally it is not something you should rely on, especially when applying to very competitive universities.
WereWolf_Engine
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Charlotte's Web)
If they have stated they will accept D*D*D* then that is what they will expect as a minimum. If you achieve D*D*D then there is a fair chance your application would be rejected as you would not have met the minimum entry requirements (I assume from your post you don't have an A in A level maths).

Whether they would consider people with lower requirements is unlikely but does depend on the volume of other applicants and the quality of their applications. Generally it is not something you should rely on, especially when applying to very competitive universities.

Bath wants D*D*D* or a D*DD and A in AS maths. i'm in between that and will probably achieve D*D*D . Plus the uni's that want DDD and an A in maths; Due to how i got higher than a DDD, would that eliminate the A level requirement because this seems to be the case for Uni's such as Bath for example.

Also having a good statement versus having good grades, which one is truly more reliable, is it pretty much 50/50. How much does the quality of statements truly help when being considered for placement at uni?
Charlotte's Web
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Bath wants D*D*D* or a D*DD and A in AS maths. i'm in between that and will probably achieve D*D*D . Plus the uni's that want DDD and an A in maths; Due to how i got higher than a DDD, would that eliminate the A level requirement because this seems to be the case for Uni's such as Bath for example.

Also having a good statement versus having good grades, which one is truly more reliable, is it pretty much 50/50. How much does the quality of statements truly help when being considered for placement at uni?
The requirements are generally minimum requirements. If a university wants D*D*D* from applicants without A level maths then it's pretty safe to assume that they would expect this, or A level maths. Unfortunately getting higher grades but still not having A level maths would not 'eliminate' any requirement.

Different universities and courses will have different weightings for your personal statement and grades. These aren't publicised. Minimum grades are essential in almost all cases, as is a good personal statement. Someone with the top grades could apply but will not be accepted if they show no interest or commitment to the course.
Loughborough University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Uni of Bath
Uni of Manchester
Sheffield
Southhampton
UCL
Bristol
Leeds
Loughborough
Surrey
Newcastle
Birmingham
Hi WereWolf_Engine

At Loughborough it depends on what course you are wanting to do. If it states A-Level Maths as a requirement they won't let you in without it (eg Aero Auto Engineering). However, there are foundation courses that you would be able to get on.
A course like Construction Engineering Management doesn't require an A-level so you would be fine with that.
Depends on what engineering you want to do.

Vicky
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
i doubt you will get in. the only ones i can see without the maths a level restriction are Birmingham, Nottingham, Lancaster and Exeter. With these it depends on units taken or a maths test
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Uni of Bath
Uni of Manchester
Sheffield
Southhampton
UCL
Bristol
Leeds
Loughborough
Surrey
Newcastle
Birmingham
UCL accept for their BEng courses with D*D*D* and Distinctions in the 2 Maths units.

Southampton don not accept for direct entry but will accept for their Engineering Foundation year with DDD and Distinctions in the 2 Maths units.

Bristol accept DDD-D*DD depending on the course and require a pass in their admissions test (DDD for BEng Engineering Mathematics and D*DD for Mechanical Engineering).

Bath do not accept without A level Maths for any of their Mechanical/Design courses but will accept for their Electronic & Electrical, Electronic Systems and Computer Systems Engineering courses with D*D*D* again, with Distinctions in the Maths units.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (637)
33.58%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (799)
42.12%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (376)
19.82%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (85)
4.48%

Watched Threads