The Student Room Group

Can you be emotionally abused by friends?

Three years ago I was in an emotionally abusive relationship. There was gaslighting, aggressive behaviour, threats of violence, manipulation etc. I got out of it and have moved on but I’m still traumatised by the whole ordeal. Currently my so-called “friends” began to ignore me, send me harshly worded text messages and stopped offering me emotional support EXTREMELY abruptly are now denying it and telling people that they are deeply saddened about our friendship ending and that they have no idea why I ended it. They haven’t attempted any sort of reconciliation with me so I doubt they’re upset. This is just weeks after they begin treating me badly. I’ve had other friends messaging me basically accusing me of being crazy. I’m really not sure what to think but the sadness, anxiety, shame and guilt I feel right now are reminiscent of the emotions I went through during and after my emotionally abusive relationship. I feel ostracised and humiliated even though I know I didn’t do anything wrong and I’m the one who’s been treated badly. The fact that we were close friends and then their behaviour toward me changed to abruptly and without cause is very similar to what I went through with my ex.
(edited 5 years ago)
Yes to the title.
I'd recommend talking to a doctor. You can't go through an abusive relationship without needing some help healing.

As for your 'friends' I suppose give it some time. Try to get healthy and happy and see if there are any bridges that can be mended. If they're not good friends then they're not good friends and you might be better without them.

Hang in there! :smile:
Reply 3
You can be emotionally abused by anyone, not just friends.
It's a good idea to set some ground rules for yourself in terms of boundaries and expectations when going into any kind of relationship.. If people break these ground rules, you can either come to a compromise or bounce.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending