The Student Room Group

I really need advice for resits and resubmition of courseworks

Hi, I had medical issues , and because of that I failed to attend 4 exams(although I did go one exam, which was 30 credits, but I left after some time because I wasn’t feeling well enough to continue). I obviously failed to pass this exam as well. Anyway, I also failed to submit 3 courseworks. I gave medical evidence, but they told me it was not compelling enough, and thus my marks will be capped at 40%!! Pay attention that this is my last year!! Apart from that, they do not let me resit the exams in August and resubmit the remaining courseworks. Their excuse was that It is not academically realistic to finish all this work in few weeks. I really think they don’t have the right to do it!! I had medical issue, and since there is an opportunity to resit in August, I have every right to attend, or at least try. I am so desperate. Now I have to make an appeal for this. I think they are discriminating me, because I had a long history of depression and anxiety disorder and they are aware of it! Please, is there anyone who can help me??
your best shot is to talk to the undergrad office in your uni department , and see what they can do for you. it does seem unrealistic to do that amount of work in a short amount of time , and realistically you would be very unlikely to get a good grade in all. moreover , if they have already considered your medical evidence , it is unlikely they will change their mind , but you may be able to argue to be allowed to take the resits. at my uni , if you fail to even try and do not let them know you cannot attend on the day of the exam , you are not allowed to resit in august - no exceptions. moreover , usually you have to complete extenuating circumstances if you have a long history of a particular illness , and since you say they are aware of it , i would say you did inform them of that. if so , did you also let them know in advance or at least before the exam each day that you could not make it in , and explain why?

depression and anxiety are horrible illnesses, but unfortunately they are also very , very common. obviously i do not know your full history , or why exactly you didn't submit any of your courseworks or complete any exam fully , but it seems hard to imagine they are all due to anxiety and depression. if they are , you should seek significant professional help , to make sure you stay safe and look after yourself. degrees can be very stressful times , and you need as much support as possible , especially in your last year.

i wish you all the best , and please let us know what the outcome is. remember the people you are appealing to are human as well , so it may be best to have a meeting face to face with an appropriate person , like the director of undergrad programmes , or the student welfare officer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending