The Student Room Group

ukmt leeds summer school 2018

Hi, so I’ve been invited to this summer school from the 22nd to the 27th of July, however, I’m the first one from my school to ever go so I was hoping that someone could clear up a few questions for me. 1) What are the sessions like and what do you learn about? 2) What kind of difficulty is the maths? 3) (and a slightly weirder one) what kind of clothes would you take like jeans or more office style?

Thank you in advance for any help. I only really asked the last one because the letter said something along the lines of “suitable for a classroom” but I know that although at my own school you can wear whatever you’d like in sixth form (as long as it’s not too revealing), at other schools you have to wear suits/smart dress so I wasn’t entirely sure. I’m probably just overthinking it all lmao.

(also I’m kinda new to this site so if I haven’t put this in the right category I’m sorry)
Hey, I went on the same type of Summer school last year so I hope I can help you out. Like you, I was the first one ever from my school to go on one of these summer schools - my maths teacher didn't even know what it was - so don't worry about having to ask questions. My sessions were on combinatorics, which is a part of maths you don't really get to study until AS usually, so no-one really has a clue what's going on at first. The idea behind the sessions though isn't to learn the actual content, but to get used to asking questions and solving them yourself, and while it's really hard it's also a lot of fun and everyone else is in the same boat. In terms of dress code, it's a lot more chill than they make it out to be on the letter - I wouldn't get away with wearing what I wore to the summer school to my sixth form - so as long as you're decent and vaguely smart it's fine. If you're looking for a guideline, I wore various semi-decent pairs of jeans and very basic t shirts all week, and I didn't look at all out of place, so there's no need for a suit or anything like that. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask - a few of my friends from my summer school are going to be on your summer school as a 'senior' student (basically just there to help out and provide a bit of support should anyone need it) so you're in excellent hands when you get there.
Original post by tkh2807
Hi, so I’ve been invited to this summer school from the 22nd to the 27th of July, however, I’m the first one from my school to ever go so I was hoping that someone could clear up a few questions for me. 1) What are the sessions like and what do you learn about? 2) What kind of difficulty is the maths? 3) (and a slightly weirder one) what kind of clothes would you take like jeans or more office style?

Thank you in advance for any help. I only really asked the last one because the letter said something along the lines of “suitable for a classroom” but I know that although at my own school you can wear whatever you’d like in sixth form (as long as it’s not too revealing), at other schools you have to wear suits/smart dress so I wasn’t entirely sure. I’m probably just overthinking it all lmao.

(also I’m kinda new to this site so if I haven’t put this in the right category I’m sorry)

There are four of these summer schools and each of them will be slightly different depending on who is running it and which adults are running sessions.Just wear casual clothes, everyone does and you will do a lot of new maths and other fun activities. each week has about 48 students who are put in groups led by an older student [a senior] who has been to a summer school before. They will work with you during the week and they also have some sessions when you are in smaller groups. All the teachers give up their time for free, some help with one week and others help with more than that. You will have a great time :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by tkh2807

I am going to it too
the same week
hope to see you there, whats ur name btw

I also had a few questions: is there wifi and are the bathrooms shared between other pairs?
(edited 5 years ago)
From what I've heard, the boys have ensuites this year whilst the girls are sharing a shower block.
Reply 5
Original post by yogya
I am going to it too
the same week
hope to see you there, whats ur name btw

I also had a few questions: is there wifi and are the bathrooms shared between other pairs?

I'm also going on the same week. I've been twice before (once as a junior and once as a senior), we did get WiFi in the end both times but they didn't tell us the password so it was a day or two before we managed to get on it. The bathrooms were shared between a few people but were quite large.
Original post by ESmith2001
From what I've heard, the boys have ensuites this year whilst the girls are sharing a shower block.

No - I think two boys are sharing a room with an ensuite. There are no 'shower blocks' as such - please don't start untrue rumours.
Original post by Muttley79
No - I think two boys are sharing a room with an ensuite. There are no 'shower blocks' as such - please don't start untrue rumours.

I just meant communal showers, and I thought we'd all established that everyone will be sharing a room.
I just meant communal showers, and I thought we'd all established that everyone will be sharing a room.

From what I know the two Boarding houses being used are Miller house (which is shared bathrooms for most rooms) and Brodwell (which has en-suite shared between 2 students in each room). In the past some Summer Schools were held in Oxford.
From what I know the two Boarding houses being used are Miller house (which is shared bathrooms for most rooms) and Brodwell (which has en-suite shared between 2 students in each room). In the past some Summer Schools were held in Oxford.

That's consistent with what my senior friend is saying. There aren't any Oxford summer schools this year to the best of my knowledge.
That's consistent with what my senior friend is saying. There aren't any Oxford summer schools this year to the best of my knowledge.

I said they were at Oxford 'in the past', the last one there was in 2017- all 4 are near Leeds now. I do know what I am talking about ...
I said they were at Oxford 'in the past', the last one there was in 2017- all 4 are near Leeds now. I do know what I am talking about ...

Clearly you do know what you're talking about, and I apologise if you felt I was being patronising or trying to undermine you. I have tried to help people get a feel for the summer school because I really enjoyed it last year, but I had absolutely no idea what to expect. I have a little bit of knowledge from personal experience and friends, which allows me to shed a little bit of light on the situation, and I assumed everyone posting here would have about the same level of knowledge, and clearly I was wrong.

The passive aggression and rudeness however is totally unneccesary. I don't know why you thought this was the appropriate forum to go on the offensive, but honestly mate, calm down, it's just a bit of maths.
...The passive aggression and rudeness however is totally unneccesary. I don't know why you thought this was the appropriate forum to go on the offensive, but honestly mate, calm down, it's just a bit of maths.

Perhaps you did not read the whole thread before you posted? I'm not sure why you thought I was being rude as YOU queried what I was saying.
Perhaps you did not read the whole thread before you posted? I'm not sure why you thought I was being rude as YOU queried what I was saying.

I wasn't querying anything - please don't start rumours :smile:
Original post by tkh2807

Have you got any feedback from the event?

Quick Reply

Latest