What books to read for English Lit A-level?

Watch
librarydweller
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I've just finished my GCSEs and I have a long summer ahead of me before I start my a levels, which include English Literature (exam board is AQA). During the summer I intend to read around 20 books which will aid me in my studies. I'm not asking for personal recommendations as such, but maybe some classics (eg Tess of the D'urbevilles) and some more contemporary reads (eg. A Brave New World). I would really appreciate some input, even if you did not take english lit for a levels yourself. Thank you TSR! Have a nice summer x
Advertisement
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by librarydweller)
I've just finished my GCSEs and I have a long summer ahead of me before I start my a levels, which include English Literature (exam board is AQA). During the summer I intend to read around 20 books which will aid me in my studies. I'm not asking for personal recommendations as such, but maybe some classics (eg Tess of the D'urbevilles) and some more contemporary reads (eg. A Brave New World). I would really appreciate some input, even if you did not take english lit for a levels yourself. Thank you TSR! Have a nice summer x
Go and talk to your A level teacher and ask them what the set texts are.

It wouldnt do you any harm to read those .

There is also paper 2 of the second year. Find out which option.

Choice of two options:

Option 2A: WW1 and its aftermath

Option 2B: Modern times: literature from 1945 to the present day

Study of three texts: one prose, one poetry, and one drama, of which one must be written post-2000

Examination will include an unseen prose extract
Assessed
  • written exam: 2 hours 30 minutes
  • open book
  • 75 marks
  • 40% of A-level

https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/engl...on-at-a-glance

You can also consider or read around the comparative non-assessed essay .

Non-exam assessment: Independent critical study: texts across time
Comparative critical study of two texts, at least one of which must have been written pre-1900

One extended essay (2500 words) and a bibliography
Assessed
  • 50 marks
  • 20% of A-level
  • assessed by teachers
  • moderated by AQA
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (658)
33.54%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (834)
42.51%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (381)
19.42%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (89)
4.54%

Watched Threads