username4136150
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 17
Size:  247.0 KB
Hi, I was trying to rediscover this ingenious proof by Cauchy, but couldn't think of any clever substitution in part (b).
Things I have tried:

Spoiler:
Show

a=4x/3, b=4y/3, c+d=4z/3 gives cd=9/16 z(xyz)^1/3. Ugly!! Showing existence of positive solutions for c and d drove me nuts
I am pretty sure there are nicer solution.
Spoiler:
Show

a=(x)^4/3, b=(y)^4/3 and (cd)=z^4/3

Could anyone give me a hint or two for part b, if it is possible to give a hint without telling the answer?

I think I will be able to do part (c) once I get the part (b) right but I could be wrong.

Thank you!!
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So, I tried to make a small hint for this, and realised that I'd actually made a massive assumption up front (that works, but counts as a fairly big hint in it's own right). So spoilering the whole thing now:

Spoiler:
Show
The big hint here is that you can leave a,b,c unchanged, and just choose a suitable d.

So, you want to go from knowing \left(\dfrac{a+b+c+d}{4}\right)^  4 \ge abcd

to

\left(\dfrac{a+b+c}{3}\right)^3 \ge abc

by choosing a suitable value for d.

It's hard to hint without giving away a lot but consider this:

You want to choose d as a function of a, b, c.

Because of symmetry, a symmetric function of a, b, c seems a good guess.

You know the AM-GM expression gives equality when a = b = c.

Bigger hint follows:

Spoiler:
Show

Consider working backwards from the 2nd expression to the first. How might you change that "^3" into a "^4"?
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
FWIW, I never got this without a huge hint. And I even considered the correct choice, but I just "looked briefly" and thought "that doesn't actually work" when in fact it does.
username4136150
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by DFranklin)
So, I tried to make a small hint for this, and realised that I'd actually made a massive assumption up front (that works, but counts as a fairly big hint in it's own right). So spoilering the whole thing now:
Thanks for the hint. Haven't looked at the bigger hint (second spoiler) yet but knowing that d is symmetric function of a,b,c made made me think it could well be a function of a+b+c and Bingo!!! X=a+b+c and solving X/3 = X+d/4 gave me d=(a+b+c)/3 and part (b) and (c) become trivial.
Really appreciate it!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Exeter campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (285)
60.51%
Yes- I don't like it (22)
4.67%