Last edited by AAhmed1999; 5 months ago
username4153014
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by AAhmed1999)
I just read something potentially shocking but also kind of vague

I just completed my A2s but didn't apply to any unis yet becuase I have no idea what I want to study so I'm taking a gap to figure that out, more or less it means my uni entrance is 'deferred' to next year.

What I read is that even if you're deferring entry you still have to meet the deadline like everyone else does i.e. the people entering in 2018 and those deferring to 2019 must ALL meet the same deadline. This makes no sense to me since I wouldn't know which course to apply for and I cant just "choose". Isn't that the reason why most people take gaps? Why cant we just apply for 2019 entry when everyone else is applying for 2019 entry??

I mean I understand the people who're already decided so they apply along with their peers and take a gap to travel or whatev but not everyone is like that so....?

Please I need you people's insight because if what I read is the case I may be screwed as deadlines passed IN JAN. I hope I just misinterpreted the thing I read or they werent clear about it
deferred entry means you know what course you are taking but would like to take a year out and start it the next year instead - someone please correct me if i am wrong but if you are not sure what to study, i don't think you should be applying for deferred entry - you just shouldn't be applying at all and take a gap year to apply next year
icygrl
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

I just completed my A2s but didn't apply to any unis yet becuase I have no idea what I want to study so I'm taking a gap to figure that out, more or less it means my uni entrance is 'deferred' to next year.

What I read is that even if you're deferring entry you still have to meet the deadline like everyone else does i.e. the people entering in 2018 and those deferring to 2019 must ALL meet the same deadline. This makes no sense to me since I wouldn't know which course to apply for and I cant just "choose". Isn't that the reason why most people take gaps? Why cant we just apply for 2019 entry when everyone else is applying for 2019 entry??

I mean I understand the people who're already decided so they apply along with their peers and take a gap to travel or whatev but not everyone is like that so....?

Please I need you people's insight because if what I read is the case I may be screwed as deadlines passed IN JAN. I hope I just misinterpreted the thing I read or they werent clear about it
Deferred entry is when you've received your results and have met the conditions of the offer but you've decided to go next year. https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/a...deferred-entry

"Applying for deferred entry means you can get your results confirmed and your university place set up and waiting for you to start the following year."

So (I'm guessing here), say you didn't meet the conditions of the offer this year, I would assume you'd have to withdraw your application and reapply for June 2019? I'm not 100% sure, probably best to ask your teachers or anyone at your college that knows more about the UCAS process as they'll know more about it.
Saphiracal
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

You're fine, don't worry you're not applying for deferred entry - what you want to apply for is direct entry for the 2018-19 cycle. So submit your application as normal, except when you do don't go deferred otherwise you'd be applying for 2020 entry instead of 2019 ^-^
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgrad open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (273)
66.1%
No (140)
33.9%

Watched Threads