The Student Room Group

Breaking point

I am a newly qualified hairdresser just about a year this month and I absolutely love it, but today I had a perm booked in on a lovely lady with long hair with no layers and in college we didn’t learn about perms and only ever did them a couple of times, so I done a consultation and we agreed and what the client wants and then I proceed to begin the service it took me 1 hour and 45 mins to complete and my boss called me out and said that she can’t afford to keep paying me when I’m this slow ( which I totally understand) I’m only part time which is 10 hours, I just feel that I am literally the worst hairdresser ever although the client and my boss was thrilled with the results at the end. I have a medical illness that I’m a ashamed about that I haven’t told my boss and my grandparents think that I’m this nervous and slow because of my illness but I don’t want my illness to determine what I can achieve in life! I just feel that this isn’t cut out for me and that no matter how hard I try on the little clientele that I have I feel like I’m constantly nervous and over thinking and just feel like I’m not very good at what I do at all, any advice is welcome and should I pack it in x
Original post by Melanie_ayla21

I think you are judging yourself a bit harshly. It sounds like you got a difficult challenge, thought it out well and achieved a very good result. The only thing you could improve on for next time is to warn your manager of your professional concerns about experience, and ask for more guidance, so they can understand why you take the time you did. You will get faster with experience, although you have to put some willpower in as well, in terms of objectively observing your strengths and weaknesses. So you might have taken too long for your manager on this one job, but you did a good job and sent the client home happy. That's more of a win than a loss.
@threeportdrift thank you for your reply and I am harsh on myself but because I want the best for the client and to keep my boss happy and to keep me in a job I’m just feel so useless that I aren’t going in a faster pace or progressing as much as i think i should be, and I agree with you about the willpower I try as hard as I possibly can with anything in life and in work. That where I think I am truly struggling identifying my strengths and weaknesses as some days i do really good services and then there could be one service that I get really anxious about and over think the situation. And yes I was so pleased that she was pleased and my boss even said it was a fab job which I felt bitter sweet about as I took so long to do yet it came out as the client and I had planned it should. Thank you for your reply and I appreciate it greatly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending