Are my grades enough for Law at these universities? Watch

bangyy
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm currently predicted A*AB at A-level (which aren't my certain predictions for UCAS) and I've achieved these GCSE grades:

Maths - 9
Further Maths (iGCSE) - A*
English Lit - 7
English Lang - 8
Core Science - A
Additional Science - A*
R.S. - A*
Sociology - A
Business Studies - A
French - A
History - A*

I've also achieved a Distinction* in ECDL. I'm looking at applying to do Law at 5 of these universities: Birmingham, Queen Mary (London), Leicester, Warwick, Southampton, York, Royal Holloway.

Being realistic, would I be likely to be successful in receiving an offer from these universities? Your comments are highly appreciated!
LpoolLawStudent
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It seems that some universities are more lenient on equivalent grades than others are. I know some of the A level students in my Facebook chat for Uni of York applied with A*AB or A*A*C predictions. The guy with the latter was even offered a place at Oxford. But I've heard Warwick and Birmingham can be strict about it.

There's no harm in applying though. You get five choices on UCAS. As long as you apply to a couple which are more likely to accept a B, there's no harm done.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by bangyy)
I'm currently predicted A*AB at A-level (which aren't my certain predictions for UCAS) and I've achieved these GCSE grades:

Maths - 9
English Lit - 7
English Lang - 8
Core Science - A
Additional Science - A*
R.S. - A*
Sociology - A
Business Studies - A
French - A
History - A*

I've also achieved a Distinction* in ECDL. I'm looking at applying to do Law at 5 of these universities: Birmingham, Queen Mary (London), Leicester, Warwick, Southampton, York, Royal Holloway.

Being realistic, would I be likely to be successful in receiving an offer from these universities? Your comments are highly appreciated!
You can see the likelihood of getting offers with those predicted grades here:
https://www.ucas.com/advisers/offer-rate-calculator/
You give it your grades, potential university and course.
bangyy
Rep:
?
(Original post by AndrewMarkSP)
It seems that some universities are more lenient on equivalent grades than others are. I know some of the A level students in my Facebook chat for Uni of York applied with A*AB or A*A*C predictions. The guy with the latter was even offered a place at Oxford. But I've heard Warwick and Birmingham can be strict about it.

There's no harm in applying though. You get five choices on UCAS. As long as you apply to a couple which are more likely to accept a B, there's no harm done.
I've also heard that York are quite nice when it comes to predicted grades like my ones (at the moment) but I'm glad that you've also heard the same thing - it's given me a real confidence boost! Thank you very much for your feedback
bangyy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doonesbury)
You can see the likelihood of getting offers with those predicted grades here:
https://www.ucas.com/advisers/offer-rate-calculator/
You give it your grades, potential university and course.
I tried the link but it kept on telling me that they don't have enough data to provide me with my likelihood of receiving an offer for my favoured unis (which is strange) but thank you for suggesting the site though!
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Good chance for all; QMUL wants A*AA but they're not that picky in practice. GCSEs won't be a deciding factor and they're perfectly fine any way.

It will just come down to your PS and your reference, or York's interview.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I tried the link but it kept on telling me that they don't have enough data to provide me with my likelihood of receiving an offer for my favoured unis (which is strange) but thank you for suggesting the site though!
What are your A-level subjects? The tool isn't entirely comprehensive.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...344&highlight=

It has been said to be wrong in the past.
Parkleton
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Maths - 9
English Lit - 7
English Lang - 8
Core Science - A
Additional Science - A*
R.S. - A*
Sociology - A
Business Studies - A
French - A
History - A*

I'm fairly sure that for Birmingham, you would need to do the LNAT in year 13, which is taken into consideration. My friend only got ABB at Alevel, but because she did exceptionally well in her LNAT Birmingham accepted her.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...344&highlight=

It has been said to be wrong in the past.
Interesting, especially when law at Newcastle has a near 90% offer rate so I wonder if they thought it was grades achieved not predicted.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm currently predicted A*AB at A-level (which aren't my certain predictions for UCAS)
I know some of the A level students in my Facebook chat for Uni of York applied with A*AB or A*A*C predictions. The guy with the latter was even offered a place at Oxford.
If it would interest you, I'd risk one choice on Oxford. The LNAT and (potential) interview, give you a chance to show what you can do. That may help them look past predicted grades, if they don't meet their minimum requirements.
bangyy
Rep:
?
Good chance for all; QMUL wants A*AA but they're not that picky in practice. GCSEs won't be a deciding factor and they're perfectly fine any way.

It will just come down to your PS and your reference, or York's interview.
QMUL is one of my aspirational choices (relative to the other potentials regarding their A level entry requirements). Thank you very much for your feedback
bangyy
Rep:
?
I take Chemistry, Maths and Sociology (which is an unusual mix due to Sociology (or so I've heard))
bangyy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Parkleton)
I'm fairly sure that for Birmingham, you would need to do the LNAT in year 13, which is taken into consideration. My friend only got ABB at Alevel, but because she did exceptionally well in her LNAT Birmingham accepted her.
From what I've researched and found, Birmingham doesn't require the LNAT to study Law.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
QMUL is one of my aspirational choices (relative to the other potentials regarding their A level entry requirements). Thank you very much for your feedback
Just to help you out a little bit, there is a big difference between asking for A*AA and actually taking in people with A*AA. QMUL's LLB: 2016/17 application cycle, only 28% of students met or exceeded their A*AA offer. 42% of matriculating students dropped by 1 grade; 26% dropped 2 grades. The year before 56% of matriculating students missed their grades and were still let in.
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...coming-1150937

Importantly, this is against individual offers and not the standard offer.

An applicant with an offer of A*AA who achieved AAA would be recorded as ‘Dropped 1 grade’ whereas an applicant with an offer of AAA who achieved AAA is recorded as ‘Met’.
Don't believe the hype.

Interesting, especially when law at Newcastle has a near 90% offer rate so I wonder if they thought it was grades achieved not predicted.
Perhaps, but then predictions have a tendency to be inflated and not reflect the true ability of the applicant. It often is the case that unis are more flexible with achieved grades than predicted.

I will say that Newcastle has fought very hard against giving me their admission data, which usually means they have something to hide.
LpoolLawStudent
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by RogerOxon)
If it would interest you, I'd risk one choice on Oxford. The LNAT and (potential) interview, give you a chance to show what you can do. That may help them look past predicted grades, if they don't meet their minimum requirements.
I would agree with this. If applying to Birmingham then you'd need to take LNATs anyway, so may as well apply for Oxford.

I wish I'd done the LNATs myself, but I wasn't keen enough on applying to the places that required them and it left little time to prepare being that I had to make my university choices in the first two months of my course (I did an access course).
bangyy
Rep:
?
Just to help you out a little bit, there is a big difference between asking for A*AA and actually taking in people with A*AA. QMUL's LLB: 2016/17 application cycle, only 28% of students met or exceeded their A*AA offer. 42% of matriculating students dropped by 1 grade; 26% dropped 2 grades. The year before 56% missed their grades and were still let in.
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...coming-1150937

Importantly, this is against individual offers and not the standard offer.

Don't believe the hype.

Perhaps, but then predictions have a tendency to be inflated and not reflect the true ability of the applicant. It often is the case that unis are more flexible with achieved grades than predicted.

I will say that Newcastle has fought very hard against giving me their admission data, which usually means they have something to hide.
That gives me a stronger feeling of hope with applying for QMUL, and I'm attending an open day for all the universities that I've listed so I can also clarify this with officials from the unis - thank you for that!
LpoolLawStudent
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Maths - 9
English Lit - 7
English Lang - 8
Core Science - A
Additional Science - A*
R.S. - A*
Sociology - A
Business Studies - A
French - A
History - A*

Also, I can't personally comment, but someone also starting at York in September with me went to Royal Holloway and quit mid first year. He said that the course is very unorganized, due to it being a newly taught course.

I think if you're wanting to study in London, you may as well go for UCL or KCL instead!
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Also, I can't personally comment, but someone also starting at York in September with me went to Royal Holloway and quit mid first year. He said that the course is very unorganized, due to it being a newly taught course.

I think if you're wanting to study in London, you may as well go for UCL or KCL instead!
To be fair, there are people who will quit courses which have run for 30 years and blame the lighting in the lecture hall. Law is a rough degree and people quit all the time.

Don't see the point of wasting choices on KCL and UCL, which are firmly A*AA courses. Oxford is different because they have more info about applicants and they have an AAA offer.
bangyy
Rep:
?

The course that I like from Royal Holloway is their LLB Law with Sociology degree and I love Sociology already at A level. I've been to an open day there and they were very helpful and I was told that it would be likely that I could get an unconditional offer (based on my GCSE grades and A level predictions being higher than their required AAB for the course) so it's likely to be one of my 5 choices at the moment.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Foundation Year Open Evening Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Regent's University London
    Psychotherapy Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (125)
19.69%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (59)
9.29%
No I am happy with my course choice (358)
56.38%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (93)
14.65%

Watched Threads