Tsuyuyu
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi all!

So, I've been wracking my brain to figure out what topic to write my coursework on and I have a few ideas but I'm not sure if any of them would be acceptable/good enough.

The whole "just write about something you're interested in!" isn't really helpful considering everything I'm interested in is quite... Strange to say the least ^~^"

My current ideas are:

'How do females interact with the stereotypically male activity of Dungeons and Dragons' (this would be easy for me to record and our group is evenly split with males and females so I could get gender and power in to it too)

'The difference in how dialogue and chatlogs presented in Andrew Hussie's Homestuck' (probably the one I'd enjoy writing the most but very specific and from an obscure piece of fiction + it's been advised to talk about a spoken piece)

'How stereotypically male or female is the language of mixed friend groups in comparison to friend groups of a singular gender'

Any and all help would be really helpful!!
ewarner2000
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Tsuyuyu)
Hi all!

So, I've been wracking my brain to figure out what topic to write my coursework on and I have a few ideas but I'm not sure if any of them would be acceptable/good enough.

The whole "just write about something you're interested in!" isn't really helpful considering everything I'm interested in is quite... Strange to say the least ^~^"

My current ideas are:

'How do females interact with the stereotypically male activity of Dungeons and Dragons' (this would be easy for me to record and our group is evenly split with males and females so I could get gender and power in to it too)

'The difference in how dialogue and chatlogs presented in Andrew Hussie's Homestuck' (probably the one I'd enjoy writing the most but very specific and from an obscure piece of fiction + it's been advised to talk about a spoken piece)

'How stereotypically male or female is the language of mixed friend groups in comparison to friend groups of a singular gender'

Any and all help would be really helpful!!
All of those sound great! I'd be careful with the second option- it may become too much of an english literature essay. i completed mine this year (results in august!!) and my title was 'an investigation into the differences between male and female language use in conversation' (or something like that!) where i recorded and transcribed 2 same sex groups- 1 male 1 female- and 2 mixed sex groups and looked at whether males and females conformed to the stereotypes set up by lakoff and looked at the difference, dominance and deficit approaches. i also noted any differences between age- adult and teens. I think for this investigation the 3rd option may be best/easiest but as long as you are interested in them it shouldnt matter what you choose.
hope this helps! good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (85)
14.19%
I'm not sure (27)
4.51%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (189)
31.55%
I have already dropped out (12)
2%
I'm not a current university student (286)
47.75%

Watched Threads