Education Transition: English GCSE to Scottish Education Advice Watch

Darcy0729
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, so I'm in need of some advice on the transition of moving from GCSEs to Scottish Education. A bit of background so you can understand the situation: I'm currently in Year 10 but unfortunately i've had to come out of School due to health reason, i am currently being home tutored (but that is hold as well due to deterioration of health). So far i have only done 6 months on and off in school. My family and I thought it would be better for everyone that we move to Scotland as it is a much calmer place so i can deal with my health problems. I've always dreaded the thought of have to go back a year, but this is probably the only choice i have if we decided to move. Your advice would be very much appreciated, if you are unclear on any details don't hesitate to ask. Thank you!
Lemur14
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi Darcy0729 :wavey:
I've just popped your thread in the Scottish Qualifications forum, which is hopefully where anyone who has made this transition may be more likely to see it
Good luck with the decision/transition!
TADADADA
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Darcy0729)
Hi, so I'm in need of some advice on the transition of moving from GCSEs to Scottish Education. A bit of background so you can understand the situation: I'm currently in Year 10 but unfortunately i've had to come out of School due to health reason, i am currently being home tutored (but that is hold as well due to deterioration of health). So far i have only done 6 months on and off in school. My family and I thought it would be better for everyone that we move to Scotland as it is a much calmer place so i can deal with my health problems. I've always dreaded the thought of have to go back a year, but this is probably the only choice i have if we decided to move. Your advice would be very much appreciated, if you are unclear on any details don't hesitate to ask. Thank you!
I don't understand the English system but have you say any exams yet?
Darcy0729
Rep:
?
No not as yet
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Scottish15
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Darcy0729)
GCSE's = National 5's The National 5 course is about a year long but most schools start teaching it in S3-S4. In S4 you sit your exams. Most schools in Scotland allow you to do 5-7 National 5's which include Maths and English. It shouldn't be difficult in transition and the National 5 course has some similarities to GCSE's. Hope everything goes well.
Darcy0729
Rep:
?
Thank you very much for your help 😁
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
cmary02
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi! Year 10 is the equivalent to S3 in Scotland, which is where students begin their N5/4/3's. N5's are equivalent to GCSEs. Scottish students will not sit exams until S4 (year 11). I'm a little confused about what year you are in. Do you mean that you will be in year 10 after the summer? or will you be in year 11? If you are going into year 11 (aka S4 in Scotland) then going back a year to S3 may be a wise idea as it'd give you a chance to learn the course content at a slightly more comfortable pace, and also find your footing in a new school without the stress of immediate exams. If you will be in S3, however, then I don't really think that theres a huge need to go back a year. To make a long story here short: Your best option is to enter the school in S3, whether that means being held back or not.

Also, try not to worry about being held back a year, its not uncommon, and if anything will probably give you an advantage! Good luck!
MLM99
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It should be noted that you won’t neccesarily start Nationals in S3, it depends on where you live and sometimes the school you got to. My council only allows state schools to start Nationals properly in S4 but the private schools choose to start in S3.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby