The Student Room Group

UK/USA long distance married couple, Ask us anything

Pretty much what the title says, Im from the UK, wife is from the US and we still live apart.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why are you doing this?
Reply 2
Original post by s.a.u
Why are you doing this?

Why are we doing what? the thread?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by SteveForfar
Why are we doing what? the thread?

Sorry that wasn’t specific. Why are you having a long distance marriage?
Reply 4
Original post by s.a.u

Im pretty sure i just accidentally reported your reply, my bad! We were basically in a position where both of our families could be at a wedding, and we just felt ready as a couple.
Reply 5
Original post by s.a.u

to be honest when people said when you meet the one you will know I thought it was just cliche BS until I found myself in that situation
Reply 6
um... how long are you planning on staying like this? which one of you is going to move over eventually?
Reply 7
She will be moving to the UK in about 6 months time :smile:
for now is it an open relationship? because you're probably really sexually frustrated if its not
Reply 9
Original post by Sven_778
for now is it an open relationship? because you're probably really sexually frustrated if its not

It isn’t, we’re lucky enough to be able to do visits fairly frequently. Although sex isn’t as insanely important to us as it is to others so that makes it easier
Reply 10
Any reason for her coming to the UK rather than vv?
Reply 11
Original post by marupe
Any reason for her coming to the UK rather than vv?

I’ve still got a fair bit of education to do in the uk (GEM) what happens after that we’re not 100% sure although its very likely we will just stay. Ive spent a large amount of time in both countries and I think the UK is easier to live in
Reply 12
Do you call football "soccer"?

Spoiler

Reply 13
Original post by as125
Do you call football "soccer"?

Im British so no, my wife does though
Reply 14
How'd you meet
Reply 15
Original post by ml55
How'd you meet

Online chat room discussing music
How do you cope in terms of lacking physical closeness? Just like holding hands and hugging and stupid stuff which you must miss
Reply 17
Original post by anniewhyte
How do you cope in terms of lacking physical closeness? Just like holding hands and hugging and stupid stuff which you must miss

Definitely miss it a lot, we both do. It’s definitely not an easy thing to go through; but it’s worth it in the end. I’ve found that when we’re apart we are both very irritable and just different personality wise
Kudos for making it work! How long have you been together and how long from meeting 'til you first met offline? :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by sinfonietta
Kudos for making it work! How long have you been together and how long from meeting 'til you first met offline? :smile:

We have been together for almost 4 years, our first wedding anniversary is coming up in November. We originally met in person after about 18 months :smile: After the initial meeting we spent a lot of time together, she spent a total of 9 months in the uk out of a 12 month period, and ive been to america a few times too. The longest we’ve been apart since meeting is 5 months

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending