EPQ or Core maths (mathematical studies)?? Watch

Lydia.Mx
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, so I have been to my sixth form induction days over the past few days & we have to choose our electives by the end of this week. I want to do both core maths & an EPQ but I'm worried this will be too much so I just want an opinion of what might be better to take if I am only allowed to take 1! No-one in the sixth form has yet done core maths so I couldn't talk to any of the students about it.
Hopefully I'll be studying biology, chemistry & geography next year & then maybe a geography/environmental sciences degree at uni (this will probably change) so I know maths will be useful alongside these subjects to support me as I sometimes struggle with maths. However, I have been told universities like EPQs & may even offer lower grades that you need to get to get in to the uni & I would probably do it on something to do with the environment but I'm not sure what would be best to do out of these two things?? Or even if volunteering would be better to do? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks
d0nkey_dude
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
bump
Hovercraft
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I have the same issue. It will be interesting to hear peoples input
Lydia.Mx
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by Hovercraft)
I have the same issue. It will be interesting to hear peoples input
Hi, this is an old thread - I've actually completed core maths this year - I ended up doing this because it was more suited to my other subjects (biology, chemistry and geography) which have some elements of maths within them. I really enjoyed the course as it teaches you a lot of problem solving skills (so its not just really hard maths) which I found helpful, especially in chemistry, as it meant I was keeping my maths skills up and had some sort of clue about what was going on. My sister did EPQ and she said she liked doing it but it requires a lot of motivation and you need to make sure that you choose the right topic to do it on, otherwise you'll end up hating it and not wanting to do it at all. What other subjects are you doing?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bishop Grosseteste University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 15 Nov '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (15)
68.18%
No (7)
31.82%

Watched Threads