Language learning over the summer

Watch this thread
Csmcl
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I’m starting Russian next year at uni as a begineer and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how much I should know beforehand and if anyone had any tips for language learning that I can do on my own this summer.
Csmcl
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Also doing it with history
Csmcl
Rep:
Anyone?
umbrellala
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Technically you don't have to know anything if you're taking it ab initio but it's probably a good idea to get a good understanding of the basic grammar structures and vocabulary. I don't have any knowledge of Russian specifically, but everybody learns languages in different ways so use the opportunity to work out which methods work best for you over the summer. I wouldn't worry too much about speaking since there's no one to correct you on pronunciation (you'll want to avoid getting into any bad habits) but do some studying for writing/reading. For listening, you can do more casual studying like watching shows and movies with subtitles, preferably with both English and Russian if you can find a source that will do that for you.
123ace
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
download duolingo, it helps so much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (128)
67.02%
No (41)
21.47%
I didn't use it to prepare (22)
11.52%

Watched Threads