which subjects should i choose? Watch

barryobama01
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
i have a lot of time to choose my a levels but i need some help, as idk the best ones to study some form of biology at university (either medicine or some form of neuroscience). i want to go into research.

so far ive picked chemistry for definite (as apparently thats the one you MUST have) psychology as it interests me and its an essay subject (i might swap it for history or eng lit, but probably not) but then idk whether to pick biology or maths. biology because it'd make more sense if im doing medicine, and the topic on genetics is interesting to me. but maths i think would make my subjects more varied because that focuses on problem solving skills, and im better at maths anyway.

or does it not matter? is biology necessary for medicine/neuroscience (or any other branch of neurology like neuropsychology or smth) or do you just need chemistry + one other subject from bio, physics or maths?
username4147674
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Personally for a course in neuroscience or medicine it’s way more biology than chemistry. So I’d prioritise biology as a must or you’ll be facing some competition when applying for uni, chemistry is good with it but I’d prioritise biology
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
barryobama01
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by Cerebral Brexit)
Personally for a course in neuroscience or medicine it’s way more biology than chemistry. So I’d prioritise biology as a must or you’ll be facing some competition when applying for uni, chemistry is good with it but I’d prioritise biology
oh, i was always under the impression that chemistry was nearly always required for medicine. would biology and maths work instead then?
Bluecoffeebean
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I think biology is more important because straight away you said you wanted to study some form of biology at university, but maths is also very important for many degrees in case you change your mind. You could consider doing four if you feel that you could take on the immense workload, or swapping out psychology to do maths, chemistry and biology because those are the 'standard' for degrees such as medicine. At the end of the day it's what you want to do the most and what you feel will help you in the future so it is probably good to go with any gut feelings after considering course requirements at university from researching the different uni degrees.
akpo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Yes, chemistry is always required for medicine, so biology and maths without chemistry at a level, would not work.
username4147674
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
What do you mean biology and maths without chemistry... you can still get into medicine with just biology and maths. I know two friends studying medicine at uni and they took biology, maths, art and psychology.

Anyway I’d take biology and Chemistry/or maths as they’re pretty relevant and vital.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
lololololol:)
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I love psychology it's my favourite subject- is so interesting and helpful if you want to do neuroscience. Chemisty, biology and psychology sound like a good trio.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Material Futures Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Feb '19
  • University of Brighton
    Health and clinical practice + health professions + hospitality, tourism and events + journalism + sport and exercise Postgraduate
    Tue, 26 Feb '19

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (88)
14.57%
Yes - a food allergy (63)
10.43%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (15)
2.48%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (16)
2.65%
No (422)
69.87%

Watched Threads