The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Won't be applying for another year but is anyone applying despite not having an A at GCSE English (I have a B but really like the look of birmingham)
Original post by Eirk87
Won't be applying for another year but is anyone applying despite not having an A at GCSE English (I have a B but really like the look of birmingham)

I don’t think they’re bothered too much about gcse English, it’s the sciences and maths they’d consider imo
I think I'm applying but it'll depend on my UKCAT
1st in Biomedical Sciences
40/45 IB
3A*, 7A, 1B at IGCSE
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Eirk87

Birmingham's really fussy. Their website states that they want an A if the highest level one has is GCSE. I wouldn't waste a choice by applying with a B.

Stick to what they ask for. I have known people ignore the fact that one needs to have already graduated at the time of application and got rejected straight away! The website is very clear about the requirements!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by NHSFan
Birmingham's really fussy. Their website states that they want an A if the highest level one has is GCSE. I wouldn't waste a choice by applying with a B.

Stick to what they ask for. I have known people ignore the fact that one needs to have already graduated at the time of application and got rejected straight away! The website is very clear about the requirements!

Thank you. That was what I was thinking. It's a shame. I was really liking Birmingham. Out of interest which ones require you to have already graduated?
Reply 6
Original post by Eirk87
Thank you. That was what I was thinking. It's a shame. I was really liking Birmingham. Out of interest which ones require you to have already graduated?

I think it's only Birmingham. I agree though, Birmingham's a great city to study in and the new QEH is fabulous.
Reply 7
Hello,
I will be applying with BSc (Hons) Psychology (First class) :smile:
Beth
does anybody know much about how they pick who to interview seeing as there's no admissions test? Is it just based on your degree and A levels? I'm worried cos their website says "Your application must leave us in no doubt that you will be/have been engaged fully in significant activity since graduation"

I graduated in July - I've carried on going to a volunteering placement every few weeks but other than that I've been doing nothing except struggling to find work experience :frown:
Original post by katie-roberts
does anybody know much about how they pick who to interview seeing as there's no admissions test? Is it just based on your degree and A levels? I'm worried cos their website says "Your application must leave us in no doubt that you will be/have been engaged fully in significant activity since graduation"

I graduated in July - I've carried on going to a volunteering placement every few weeks but other than that I've been doing nothing except struggling to find work experience :frown:

Yeah I think it’s based on those two and work experience tbh. Can’t think of anything else that could help decide the interview other than the PS and referee
Reply 10
Biomedical Sciences - 1st Class BDD at A level 2As, 4Bs and 4Cs - GCSEMasters at UCL starting soon Should I attempt to apply to Birmingham or would it be a choice wasted?
Check if it’s okay to apply whilst doing a masters, as far as I know they’ll reject anyone who’s applying in their 2nd year of their BSc since it’s not attained yet
Reply 12
Original post by gradmedic2
Check if it’s okay to apply whilst doing a masters, as far as I know they’ll reject anyone who’s applying in their 2nd year of their BSc since it’s not attained yet

I emailed them and I will make my decision accordingly.
Thanks
Original post by Arimas
I emailed them and I will make my decision accordingly.
Thanks

No worries!
Biochemistry BSc (first class) A*A*A at A level and 6A* 3As at GCSE. I'm working as a carer at a nursing home at the moment and graduated this year. I am aware my grades are really good but my UKCAT prep is not going well so Bham may be my only grad medicine option since there is no admissions test!
Original post by gatorinlancs
Biochemistry BSc (first class) A*A*A at A level and 6A* 3As at GCSE. I'm working as a carer at a nursing home at the moment and graduated this year. I am aware my grades are really good but my UKCAT prep is not going well so Bham may be my only grad medicine option since there is no admissions test!

God damn I would have applied at alevels if I were you ;O but you have a chance for cambridge too if you’re not positive about your ukcat
I wasn’t really considering medicine at A level. Do Cambridge require the BMAT or no test at all?!
Reply 17
Original post by gatorinlancs
I wasn’t really considering medicine at A level. Do Cambridge require the BMAT or no test at all?!

They don't require an admissions test. I was considering them too but their course structure and teaching style would NOT suit my style of learning :P
Are A levels taken into great consideration?
Original post by roseprincessx
Are A levels taken into great consideration?

You just have to get at least a 2:1 x

Latest