The Student Room Group

Not sure what a levels to pick

I know I want to pick maths but out of chemistry, biology, technology and h.e, I'm unsure what to pick. I want to pick 4 then drop one in upper sixth. I'm interested in careers involving chemistry/medical research or medical/food technology but I don't know which subject combination will be most beneficial. Does anybody have any advice or experience with these subjects/careers?
Maths, chemistry and technology would cover all your bases and be the smartest choice
My advice is don’t do 4. Not even first year. There is essentially no advantage to doing this and it is a lot more work. They really aren’t like GCSEs. Like sure you get more knowledge by doing 4 but why not just learn a language or an instrument or do sport in your spare time if you want to be productive? It will safe you a load of stress.

With regards to choices, maths and biology are great ones. Don’t know anything about technology and h.e though
Reply 3
Original post by TheTree0fDeath
My advice is don’t do 4. Not even first year. There is essentially no advantage to doing this and it is a lot more work. They really aren’t like GCSEs. Like sure you get more knowledge by doing 4 but why not just learn a language or an instrument or do sport in your spare time if you want to be productive? It will safe you a load of stress.

With regards to choices, maths and biology are great ones. Don’t know anything about technology and h.e though

that does sound better but in my school they push for you to do 4 in case one isn't as suited or you don't do as well as expected in a subject. In terms of choices, I see sciences as more important than tech and he but I do really enjoy those subjects so I was thinking of picking then dropping one of those but I might reconsider this if it means unnecessary stress.
Original post by finn26_
that does sound better but in my school they push for you to do 4 in case one isn't as suited or you don't do as well as expected in a subject. In terms of choices, I see sciences as more important than tech and he but I do really enjoy those subjects so I was thinking of picking then dropping one of those but I might reconsider this if it means unnecessary stress.

Well I guess if you’re school insists on 4 it would definitely make sense to do one you really enjoy as your 4th one. As I say the one you drop probably won’t make much difference to uni so I’d go for the easiest and most fun one you can for that.

Quick Reply

Latest